Apple confirms ink in some darker wrist tattoos can interfere with Apple Watch heart rate sensor

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Did you notice this?

"...if I was considering two similar candidates..."

Also, what is "unprofessional" about being selective with job candidates? I've no desire to hire a person whose personal image would reflect badly on my company.

No, I'm sorry I didn't notice that.

In that case then, I guess it all depends on the type of business you're running then, doesn't it

• Reply 102 of 122
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People can go and get swastika tattoos and 666 satan markings on their foreheads for all I care. Weirdos are gonna weird out. That's just how things are. I don't care about any tattooed people or their tattoos, that's their business.

When these people complain that an Apple product doesn't function properly on their tattooed skin, then it becomes my business

• Reply 103 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by USB- View Post

No, I'm sorry I didn't notice that.

In that case then, I guess it all depends on the type of business you're running then, doesn't it

Yes, it certainly does matter what kind of business one has. If I had a chain of tattoo parlors, I'd certainly consider the person with whole-body tattoos.

• Reply 104 of 122
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, it certainly does matter what kind of business one has. If I had a chain of tattoo parlors, I'd certainly consider the person with whole-body tattoos.

That certainly sounds like a good plan

• Reply 105 of 122
    Quote:

That certainly sounds like a good plan

It certainly does. :D

• Reply 106 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Anything that has to do with Apple has to do with me. I do have a few shares of AAPL, so that makes anything Apple related my business, and I am certainly going to give my two cents whenever I feel for it.

I understand completely.  As someone invested in Apple's business you naturally should want Apple to have the widest possible appeal and the largest possible customer base, not alienating anyone for their lifestyle choices.

Oh, wait...

• Reply 107 of 122
    emoeric87emoeric87 Posts: 72member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Which in reality isn't so common.

Why does it have to be about having common sense? Personally, I had no idea that certain tattoos contain chemicals that block light from my skin (I do actually understand how tattoos themselves work).

People can't be experts about everything. Whether they be engineers or consumers. That's stupid talk.

Is there no room for learning anymore?...genuine not knowing and then finding out?
  • Reply 108 of 122
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Most people I've seen with full sleeve tattoos don't have them all the way to the end of the wrist where a watch is worn. I think this issue only affects a fraction of people with tattoos.
  • Reply 109 of 122
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSB View Post

Regardless of you opinion on tattoos the fact is that 20% of the population have them and the trend is moving higher. It is a tremendous oversight on Apple's part knowing that many of their users are creatives and artists in which the percentage of tattoos is likely even higher. 

Once again Apple is supposedly meant to magically fix physics. Come on Apple hurry up.

Reading from the list of metals (some are incredibly dangerous - mercury anyone) it's not surprising that Apple Watch will have difficulty with some tats. Light is projected but scattered by the metals in such a way that the signal doesn't return correctly. Apple Watch doesn't know what it's reading so fails.

• Reply 110 of 122
    westcoast8westcoast8 Posts: 80member

So they found a work-around. Fantastic. But don't go making fun of people with tattoos just because they can't use the full functionality of a piece of tech. If you don't like tats, come up with a better argument

Please show me where I made fun of people with tattoos.

And if you can't find it here, check out my other posts.

• Reply 111 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I understand completely.  As someone invested in Apple's business you naturally should want Apple to have the widest possible appeal and the largest possible customer base, not alienating anyone for their lifestyle choices.

Oh, wait...

They alienated themselves the second that they decided to get ink on their wrists. We're talking about a microscopic percentage of people here, so no, I don't care about them at all, and if certain technologies don't work well on these people, then so be it.

• Reply 112 of 122

^ So you don't care, but you do care, but you don't care?

Must be hard being you.

• Reply 113 of 122
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    nycsb wrote: »
    Regardless of you opinion on tattoos the fact is that 20% of the population have them and the trend is moving higher. It is a tremendous oversight on Apple's part knowing that many of their users are creatives and artists in which the percentage of tattoos is likely even higher. 
    Ridiculous. All or most of these tattoos were made before anyone knew about this potential problem. Now that other tattoo candidates know, they can have their tattoo artists leave an ink-free spot for the watch.
  • Reply 114 of 122
    nycsb wrote: »

You believe 20% of the U.S. (or are you saying global) population has tattoos that cover their wrists?
  • Reply 115 of 122

I wonder if the ?Watch will also have problems with people with deep veins, or weak circulation.  

• Reply 116 of 122
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member

This is a physics limitation, not a social issue, or personal choice issue. Tattoos can also cause minor interference and anomalous interactions with MRI scanners. As the technology evolves I'm sure they'll come up with sensors that can deal with these outlier cases and work around the limitations. I'm confident the actual number of potential Apple Watch customers who are directly impacted by this is very small. Of the 20% or so of the population who have tattoos of any kind, including permanent makeup, how many of these are of the interfering colors and located exactly at the spot on the wrist where the watch sensors are located? If it is 1% of the 20% I'd be really surprised. 

Why does the discovery and disclosure of new data discovered after an Apple product rolls out to a huge new customer base always have to be assumed to be related to a conspiracy or negligence on someone's part? It's just data and information, not a blame fest and battle for righteous moral conviction over what constitutes right and wrong choices for body art. As long as Apple allows customers who are not completely satisfied with their Watch to return it for any reason, including incompatibility with certain skin alterations, what is the big deal? It's not a one size fits all world for any product, Apple Watch included.

• Reply 117 of 122
    ^ who has claimed conspiracy or negligence?
  • Reply 118 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It may sound crazy, but the meanings of words change over time. It's normal, and common. "Gay" doesn't mean what it used to and "data" is rarely plural any more. 

The proper word would've been 'hooligan'.
  • Reply 119 of 122
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Is Apple accepting returns from folks who bought an Apple Watch before Apple Inc acknowledged the problem?
  • Reply 120 of 122
    tanchicktanchick Posts: 4member

Do you use Dropbox? http://www.joydownload.com/how-to/edit-files-dropbox - this manual will help you to manage your files in Dropbox