Samsung takes Apple obsession to next level with new Galaxy ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    "Craftsmen"... AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:
    This would be sad if it weren't a bad parody of Apple's own videos. Look, they even have a British narrator and swelling cello soundtrack.

Wait, you mean it's not a parody?
  • Reply 22 of 135
    Yeah this is new. Samsung ads are usually making fun of Apple users whom they call "wall huggers" or "line waiters". Now their ads are copying Apple's presentation in order to convince people into believing their products are as bespoke as Apple's?
  • Reply 23 of 135
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    One of the marketing lines for the galaxy s6 is "Like nothing you've ever seen before".. but the galaxy range looks just like iPhones.

The single point of differentiation is a curved edge, it's like having an additional row of buttons. It's just not something to write home about, let alone base an ad campaign upon.

Then there is this ad, which aims to emulate apple's perfection in design. Yet anyone can pick up the flagship samsung device and see countless compromises, everything from the ports not being in alignment, to cross promo stickers and braindead software. The ad theme doesn't match their product, and since the look and feel is so close to apple's original - casual viewers will assume it's another apple ad.
  • Reply 24 of 135
    cash907 wrote: »
    Felt like a car commercial to me. Pretty much every luxury car commercial I've ever seen, actually.
    Basically, it was a commercial that reminded me of a bunch of other commercials.
    Yeah... I can completely see what you're all worked up over.
    I get punchy on slow news days too.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 25 of 135
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    It is fascinating to see a company so rudderless and confused that they vaccillate between mocking their competitor to fully endorsing them through mimicking them. But no matter what, their efforts reinforce the fact that they rarely innovate and mostly copy, and whose intellectual capacity is becoming as diminished as their shrinking profits
  • Reply 26 of 135
    lghulmlghulm Posts: 22member
    Difference to me is... with Apple you have the actual designers talking about the design.

With Samsung you get an English accented actor speaking of "we" when really he was just paid for his words and had nothing to do with the design.

For me - a korean accented spokesperson would be better and more believable.

E.g. it is not a negative when a Toyota or Nintendo spokesperson speaks about their skill in crafting their products - at least it is genuine.
  • Reply 27 of 135

While our competitors only use one line to line things up,

Samsung's relentless pursuit of innovation has allowed us to master the impossible by using multiple lines to line things up

• Reply 29 of 135
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member
    And they still believe they didn't and aren't copying Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

While our competitors only use one line to line things up,

Samsung's relentless pursuit of innovation has allowed us to master the impossible by using multiple lines to line things up

Yep- clearly "nanometers" of tolerance in that photo. I mean hey, that shit looks off only by a few mm, or a few billion nanometers. Clearly they don't give a ****. But hey, the screen is curved on one side. Why? Who gives a ****, just because. 

• Reply 31 of 135
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Another attempt by Samsung to copy Apple.

Sad.

The Chinese understand. So they are buying fewer and fewer Samsung phones. Why buy Samsung when they can simply buy a cheaper copy of Samsung?

Meanwhile, Apple the original continues to sell more and more and more iPhones in China. The iPhone 6 and 6 plus are major hits.
  • Reply 32 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can't Sammy come up with something original for once? Damn thieves.
  • Reply 33 of 135
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The worst part is how they keep repeating "we do.." as if they're describing a philosophy, or something engrained in their culture- even though pretty much every phone/tablet they've made until this point has been made with cheap, trashy, grimy plastic. Suddenly, we're supposed to believe that this company is obsessed with design, care, and craftsmanship. 

It's just sad. This company has no identity. Google at least has one.

It's like watching snake oil salesman trying to be a magician.

• Reply 34 of 135
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    They missed out the part of how their mastery of electricity burns out the accelerometer. Or their mastery of memory.

Hahah

Fast charge mode on the edge cooks the accelerometer. Memory isn't freed up after closing apps so it eventually slows down and requires a reboot.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    Quite pathetic....
  • Reply 36 of 135
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc Rogoff View Post

Quite pathetic....

Gimme a break Samsung does not have     to copy Apple to be neck and neck with them. Apple is no clean company also. Look what they owe in back taxes in Ireland than start to talk.

• Reply 37 of 135
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    marvfox wrote: »

Gimme a break Samsung does not have     to copy Apple to be neck and neck with them. Apple is no clean company also. Look what they owe in back taxes in Ireland than start to talk.

Yes, I for one will give you a break. You live in Arizona.
  • Reply 38 of 135
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    That was a sad and empty script. They could just as well change every line to "we're really cool". It's the message they're trying to convey. The more they say it, the less I believe in it. There's absolutely no informative aspect in Samsung's video. It's designed to brag. It was the worst..

I think the product looks pretty ok though, but they should think about removing that obscure Samsung logo from the front. It's really disturbing all aspects of the design.
  • Reply 39 of 135
    They even got the voice to be "Ive-esque".
  • Reply 40 of 135
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    [URL]http://[/URL]
    gtr wrote: »
    "We measure in nano-meters...but we build in meters"
    I thought the exact same thing when the narrator said, "we measure in nanometers ". He should have added,"... but still miss by millimeters ".