How to manage Glances on the Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
From customizable clock faces to notifications, quickly referencing important information without having to dive into an app is a key feature of the Apple Watch. Dubbed Glances, users can access these bits of information with just a single swipe.

From the clock face of your Apple Watch, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access any enabled Glances. Swipe left and right to scroll through all the Glances activated on your Watch, like the built-in Now Playing Glance.

Users can add, remove and rearrange Glances using the Apple Watch app on their iPhone.

From the main screen of the Apple Watch app, scroll down to the list of apps. Tap on the name of an app to see if there is an available Glance.

To install the app on your Watch, toggle the Show App on Apple Watch option to the "ON" position. To enable the accompanying Glance, turn on the Show in Glances option.

To rearrange your Glances, return to the main screen of the Apple Watch app and tap Glances towards the top.

Here you will see currently enabled Glances in the upper list, while those configured not to show up on Watch reside in the Do Not Include.

Tap and hold on the three horizontal line symbol to drag and rearrange your Glances. To quickly remove a Glance from the Watch, tap the red minus (-) button or to add, tap the green plus (+) icon to the left of each app. The Settings Glance cannot be removed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Way too much complexity for most people. This is over the top. Whatever turns some people on. There is always the pebble.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Way too much complexity for most people. This is over the top. Whatever turns some people on. There is always the pebble.

It's no more complex than what you'd do on an iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    Looks pretty simple to me. Impressive capability of the Apple Watch, and I appreciate Apple's choice to have configuration done in a more comfortable way - e.g., I'd much rather select which Glances to include and their order using the larger screen - simple and clean.
    However, I can understand your preference for the simplicity of the more basic Pebbles watch. That's why more than one company can exist in the market place.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Except for the fact that I have to going back and forth between the watch and my iPhone to do this.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Do any of you critics actually have the watch, or are you just using the hard evidence of someone else's experience? I've had mine since day one, and am enjoying the hell out of it. Not perfect, but a real game-changer. It will be the iPhone of wearables in the sense that it is taking a field that is moribund and turn it vital. Remember, though, this is an extension of the iPhone, not a completely self-contained device. So it will never replace the phone, or equal it's numbers.

Only quibble about Glances I have is that they are not directly available when using the Workout app. Hope they fix this in 1.1 update.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member

This is a bit fiddly but I think it needs to be and I also think it needs to be a bit more fiddly.  I certainly have learned quite quickly how to set this up and have spent much of the week working on identifying the apps that have info I want to glance and sorting them properly on the watch.

My impression is that some apps developers have worked out how to use the glance feature and others have not (no surprise the NYT is the in the latter category in my view). I also think that some apps should allow choice on different glances for their app that you would select in the iPhone app. For example, maybe you want to glance at a favourite players stats, or the results of a favourite team, or a set of divisional standings. The glance metaphor needs you to be able to choose between these depending on your personal preference

Apple want to make a very "personal" piece of kit. There is a world of information out there and the information that different people will want to glance at quickly on their wrist will vary greatly. The flexibility and fiddliness is needed to allow people to set up a watch that shows just what they want.

• Reply 7 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

It's amazing how you persistent anti Apple Watch trolls are always the first to jump in and comment in these threads, with a blatantly predictable and useless comment. You've been shitting on the Apple watch since day 1, and everyone already knows exactly what you're gonna say, about every single aspect of the device. Yeah, swiping from the bottom of the screen is insanely "complex". And Apple included options to customize these- the horror. cause you know, it's not like people are always bitching about Apple not giving enough customization options, right? Those that don't want to delve into this can leave everything at the defaults. Those that want to customize will, just like every other Apple device.

I owned the pebble, and sold it. I know it inside and out.  It was fine for notifications, but otherwise useless. Comparing the Apple Watch to the pebble is ridiculous. It has a trash, low resolution screen, is ugly, and ridiculously limited.  For basic functions like what you would use on the pebble, I don't see how the Apple Watch is any more "complex". But feel free to use and enjoy the pebble, if that will stop you on shitting in every thread of this nature. You know what makes trolls like you so obvious? Is that you hate on EVERY single hardware/software aspect of this product, all the marketing, and every single thing to do with it. If you didn't have an agenda, you would inevitably like SOME aspect of it, even if you criticized others. But nope, everything about it is a disaster- of course. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's amazing how you persistent anti Apple Watch trolls are always the first to jump in and comment in these threads, with a blatantly predictable and useless comment. You've been shitting on the Apple watch since day 1, and everyone already knows exactly what you're gonna say, about every single aspect of the device. Yeah, swiping from the bottom of the screen is insanely "complex". And Apple included options to customize these- the horror. cause you know, it's not like people are always bitching about Apple not giving enough customization options, right? Those that don't want to delve into this can leave everything at the defaults. Those that want to customize will, just like every other Apple device.

I owned the pebble, and sold it. I know it inside and out.  It was fine for notifications, but otherwise useless. Comparing the Apple Watch to the pebble is ridiculous. It has a trash, low resolution screen, is ugly, and ridiculously limited.  For basic functions like what you would use on the pebble, I don't see how the Apple Watch is any more "complex". But feel free to use and enjoy the pebble, if that will stop you on shitting in every thread of this nature. 

He certainly hasn't got the subtlety of Gatorguy when doing that, that's for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

If your not smart enough to own a smart watch then perhaps a Timex® would be more to your liking?

• Reply 10 of 19
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

So, you're saying that setting up the iPhone is too complex for most people?

Well, that presents difficulty, since you need a working an iPhone for 95% of the Watch's functionality to work. :)

• Reply 11 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator

If your not smart enough to own a smart watch then perhaps a Timex® would be more to your liking?

People shouldn't have to be smart to own complex devices. Apple made a decision to try and dissuade people using the watch for too long because your arm would get tired and software configuration will come into this. However, it means having to juggle a lot between the phone and the watch. You have to see what a Glance is showing to know it's going to be useful so you have to take out the phone, enable the Glance, let the watch update, check out the Glance on the Watch and either leave it or go back to the phone to rearrange it or remove it and then back to the watch to check the change.

People might only do this once but this could hamper the use of Glances. For every new app, people would have to do this process.

There could have been a mode on the Watch like Force Touch the home screen and choose an option to configure Glances. You'd then just tap an icon on the homescreen, which would open its Glance and if you liked it, swiping right would let you position it among other Glances using a Coverflow view. Swipe any other direction could dismiss it and swipe up on Glances view could remove a Glance with confirmation. No jumping back and forth.

Having the option to do setup on the phone makes it more comfortable and saves the Watch battery but they could do it both ways in the same way you can arrange iPhone icons using iTunes on the Mac as well as on the phone. It wouldn't be very good if using iTunes was the only way to rearrange icons.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's amazing how you persistent anti Apple Watch trolls are always the first to jump in and comment in these threads, with a blatantly predictable and useless comment.
    He certainly hasn't got the subtlety of Gatorguy when doing that, that's for sure.

Pebble has asked its fans to spread the word about the Pebble watch on social media, online, by word of mouth, etc, and this guy gets in a mention and now we're all talking about the Pebble instead of the Apple Watch, which was the topic of the article. See what he did there? Pebble scored some free advertising. No, he's not subtle.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post

Well, indeed I do own a Timex. How did you know? I paid $25 for it and it works great.

Complexity and being smart are two different things.

Remember how simple the iPad is? One button to go home. A computer that is intuitive from the moment a person of any age picks it up? Well, the "iWatch" has way too many steps and instructions. Was it Gruber (or someone else) who said it took them 3 painful days to learn their watch.

Just talking for me: if I was running Apple, I'd make everything (all apps) pretty much the same (limiting functionality) and three buttons or touches deep to get to something. This watch is OUT OF CONTROL.

just my opinion and wants. I'll get a Pebble if it comes to that. Keep it simple. That is what Jobs was about.

Remember the iPod? Steve J. said 3 buttons to get to any song you wanted. Drove the designers crazy. Well, they did it. Very simple. Very simple (but not easy). Now the watch is complex (and not easy).

I stand by my words. Just my opinion. I want a watch and APPS I can pick up and use immediately without a lot or little learning curve. like an iPod. Will it be limited? You bet your butt it will. Will it be easy to use? I'd think so!!! Sue me. Go ahead. The iWatch will be super-niche. Only for diehard tech people who like that sort of thing.  Pebble has legs to stand on. They know that their way is to keep it simple. Good for them. 

You know what? There is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much to remember about the Apple Watch - when you have a bunch of apps. And don't forget, in the history of hundreds of years of watches, people are having issues with the (digital) crown being sticking due to sweat. Really?

• Reply 14 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

So using an iPhone to configure an accessory to the iPhone is too confusing? how strange. I would expect people using an iPhone to be able to use an iPhone. Since they're, you know, using an iPhone in the first place.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    runbuh wrote: »
    Except for the fact that I have to going back and forth between the watch and my iPhone to do this.

Good thing I can set them both in my lap as I do this. Has not been a problem.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Well, indeed I do own a Timex. How did you know? I paid $25 for it and it works great.

Remember how simple the iPad is? One button to go home. A computer that is intuitive from the moment a person of any age picks it up? Well, the "iWatch" has way too many steps and instructions. Was it Gruber (or someone else) who said it took them 3 painful days to learn their watch.

Just talking for me: if I was running Apple, I'd make everything (all apps) pretty much the same (limiting functionality) and three buttons or touches deep to get to something. This watch is OUT OF CONTROL.

That you call it an iwatch is proof that you're just trolling.

I suspect you've never used the watch, and I know you don't own one. I do and it's absolutely no big deal.

A Mac has more than one button -- how's that working out for them? pretty well. Different tools work differently.

Tho in practice the watch only has one button - pushing the crown, which toggles between apps home and watch face home, the two main modes of the device.* Turning it is just scrolling and not a button. The contacts button is a second button, but you only ever use it to send a tap or drawing to somebody else, which is uncommon enough to not be worrying whether you need to use that button for normal operation.

Just not a big deal.

*I find apps of limited use and suspect they will be downplayed. Apps like Yelp or Amazon suck on a small screen. To me the glances of relevant bites of info are more the point.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    lundkemanlundkeman Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

That you call it an iwatch is proof that you're just trolling.

I suspect you've never used the watch, and I know you don't own one. I do and it's absolutely no big deal.

A Mac has more than one button -- how's that working out for them? pretty well. Different tools work differently.

Tho in practice the watch only has one button - pushing the crown, which toggles between apps home and watch face home, the two main modes of the device.* Turning it is just scrolling and not a button. The contacts button is a second button, but you only ever use it to send a tap or drawing to somebody else, which is uncommon enough to not be worrying whether you need to use that button for normal operation.

Just not a big deal.

*I find apps of limited use and suspect they will be downplayed. Apps like Yelp or Amazon suck on a small screen. To me the glances of relevant bites of info are more the point.

The second button is very useful, press it twice and pay!

• Reply 18 of 19
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

just my opinion and wants. I'll get a Pebble if it comes to that. Keep it simple. That is what Jobs was about.

Remember the iPod? Steve J. said 3 buttons to get to any song you wanted. Drove the designers crazy. Well, they did it. Very simple. Very simple (but not easy). Now the watch is complex (and not easy).

I stand by my words. Just my opinion. I want a watch and APPS I can pick up and use immediately without a lot or little learning curve. like an iPod. Will it be limited? You bet your butt it will. Will it be easy to use? I'd think so!!! Sue me. Go ahead. The iWatch will be super-niche. Only for diehard tech people who like that sort of thing.  Pebble has legs to stand on. They know that their way is to keep it simple. Good for them. 

You know what? There is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much to remember about the Apple Watch - when you have a bunch of apps. And don't forget, in the history of hundreds of years of watches, people are having issues with the (digital) crown being sticking due to sweat. Really?
    I've had my watch for 4 days now. I'm getting 30+ hours on a full charge with it taking exactly 2 hours to recharge from 1% to 100%. Setup was an extremely easy wizard driven process that automatically configured my watch AND installed all of the apps on my phone that have watch versions available - including glances.

That's it. That's all! Fully configured and ready to use!!!

Sure - the options are there to let me rearrange the icons and the glances if I so desire - and I did do it - not because they needed reorganizing - mostly just to try out the feature. The process for doing this may sound complex, even completely unfathomable to you when you read it - but in real life, it is extremely simple, straightforward and also 100% optional!

LOL! You would limit features and functionality in favor of simplicity? That's moronic! Just because *you* don't have the mental capacity to understand a simple interface shouldn't require that the rest of suffer with a lesser product just so that you don't feel bad about your own mental capacity and limitations.... Just go ahead and ignore those extra options and I'm sure you'll find that in real life, the watch self-configures to a state that even *YOU* are able to operate regardless of the fact that you struggle to understand the written description of the features.

I love this watch more and more every day I own it! I originally thought it would be more of a novelty than a productivity aid - but in only 4 days, it has already proven itself much more capable than I had originally thought and is making my life slightly better and slightly easier in many unanticipated ways!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I've come to the conclusion that I just don't need that many Glances. If only the Glances were vertical and Apple allowed you to use the crown to scroll through them, then it would be a different story.

So, here's how I came to knock off the ones I don't need:

I use the Modular watchface, and with it, I've added all the necessary pieces of information I want to see when I lift my Watch:
    Calendar Summary
    Specific World Clock
    Temperature
    Activity Summary

Now, because I can tap on each one of those to go to the app, the Glance for that app is no longer necessary.