Apple's 12.9" iPad will feature Bluetooth stylus, Force Touch, NFC & more, source says

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's called the iPad Pro. If you don't have the money for it, then you're not a Pro.

I am a Pro. I will be buying an iPad Pro on day one. I don't give a crap about how much it costs. There is no Android blood running through my veins.

I'm not an android fan at all I own an iPhone 5s iPad mini Mbpr 15" and an Apple TV anyone that knows me will say I am definitely not an android fan that was just my opinion on the iPad pro.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Anyone who has made a presentation with a 9.7" iPad will welcome a larger 12.9" display.

Perfect at a boardroom table in front of two or three people.

• Reply 103 of 129
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

This has yet to be seen. It's very possible the churn rate on a high quality tablet like iPad is years longer than the typical two years on carrier subsidized cell phones. Older iPads work fine so there is less incentive to upgrade them. In short it's too soon to tell what is normal.

The other thing to remember is iPad was apples fastest growing product, selling more in a short period of time than the iPhone did during its launch. The iPad did terrific numbers. If that grow can't be sustained oh well, it may be normal.

My own personal use of the iPad has dropped dramatically since I got the iPhone 6 plus.  I suspect I'm not alone.  Apple needs to give people a compelling reason to upgrade.  They did it with the iPhone 6 plush which doesn't just have a bigger screen, they put in work to get extra functionality out of the larger screen.  Apps like Mail and Messages have additional functionality that takes advantage of the larger space, the home screen rotates, etc.

This is Apple's chance to do something compelling with the iPad to spur new sales.  Just like the iPhone added some iPad like functionality, the iPad pro needs to add more Mac like functionality. 

• Reply 104 of 129
    Bluetooth has a big problem. Only one device at a time.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    psitthipopsitthipo Posts: 33member
    When the new Macbook was introduced, I was thinking "if the Macbook is this thin, then how thin would the new Macbook Air be?" I guess this iPad Pro answers my question. Say bye bye to the Macbook Air, say hello to new iPad Pro!
  • Reply 106 of 129
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

I definitely want iPad Pro. A bigger screen would be refreshing for me and would be very useful in many ways - the ability to write like a notepad and the ability to edit images with a stylus as my reasons. I don't want to write with my fingers!

• Reply 107 of 129
    Bluetooth has a big problem. Only one device at a time.
    j

Not sure I agree, care to elaborate, with BLE
  • Reply 108 of 129
    psitthipo wrote: »
    When the new Macbook was introduced, I was thinking "if the Macbook is this thin, then how thin would the new Macbook Air be?" I guess this iPad Pro answers my question. Say bye bye to the Macbook Air, say hello to new iPad Pro!
    This device is going to be very thin!
  • Reply 109 of 129
    peteo wrote: »
    Really hope the stylus rumor is true. I've tried allot of the smart stylus's out there and over all the suck compared to the ones on other platforms that have the digitizer over the screen like surface pro. Also with apple doing it means most productivity apps will add support. Hope it comes to all ipads.
    I half agree, all current Bluetooth stylus I have truly sucked. Most only work with some apps, the lag, accuracy, and method are horrible,
    My time spent trying surface pro is pretty much, that the stylus experience is marginally better, it didn't suck as much
  • Reply 110 of 129
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should make a real tablet computer (Mac tablet). iOS is a toy not fully compatible with Mac.

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I agree. When the iPad was released, solid state drives capable of running a full OS were not available or too expensive to install in an iPad. Now Apple has shown you can install a full is on an SSD drive like in the MacBook. Put one if these in an iPad and give us the true iPad pro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmm21 View Post

Wish Apple would make an OS-X tablet in this size range sooner rather than much later. Best of both worlds here and now.

Given that Apple just introduced the new MacBook, doesn't this wish seem even more niche now?  What specific use case would an OSX tablet provide that the new MacBook doesn't?

The new MacBook offers:

- OSX

- super thin and light design (original iPad was ~700grams, and 13.4mm thick, and the 12" MacBook is 920grams and 13.1mm thick)

- built in keyboard (full redesign to be best keyboard in an extremely thin design)

- 12" retina screen

- touch based entry with track pad (including Force Touch)

- full mouse support

- App Store

- USB support for peripherals

- 8GB RAM

- higher storage options

Most of the commenters here wanting the iPad to be more "computer-like" keep saying that in order to be useful, the device needs OSX, full keyboard, mouse support, and USB for peripherals.  Why is the new 12" MacBook not the solution to your desires?  Why do you think that Apple has to *also* have an OSX tablet?

• Reply 111 of 129
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

FWIW I hate trackpads and prefer mice. Trackpads make my hand ache, mice don't.

The Magic Mouse sucks (for me) because every one I've owned has become hypersensitive over time and causes the cursor / arrow to go flailing all over the screen.

I am most productive with an IR mouse / scrollwheel.

Finally, there's no reason iOS cannot work with a mouse. Give the people what they want.

Of course no technical reason that mouse support cannot be added to iOS.  However, Apple has had great success by not adopting the "throw everything in that you can" design philosophy.  Apple execs have publicly stated this is one of their most important traits vs. the competition, and it seems to work.  

Every feature added costs time & money - not generally so much in the upfront design & engineering, but in the (multi-year) testing & support thereafter.  Think of all the 3rd party mouse products that people would expect to work with iOS then.  In the company I work for (telecom equipment), many potential features are not included purely due to the cost of testing & support.  If not enough customers want/need a feature, then the call is made to leave it out.  The code in many cases is complete, but that is not where the cost is.

A compelling argument can be made that, for a tablet, the optional use of a stylus/pen for more accurate input would be beneficial to far more tablet use cases, than the addition of mouse support.

• Reply 112 of 129
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Thanks for adding even more proof that he was against having a stylus. I hope you're not a lawyer.

you must be trolling. it goes without stating that in the Jobs quote you bolded:

"I want to make a tablet and it can't have a keyboard or stylus."

....Jobs meant the stylus couldnt be required for normal operation (like the crappy tablets of the day). but an optional device for niche use cases? who cares. that wasnt the point and not what he was talking about.

want proof? in your quote he also cites keyboards. yet we've have physical keyboards available as optional accessories to an ipad since v1, and Apple/Jobs even shipped one on Day 1. but they are not required and thus passed his test.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    rmm21 wrote: »
    Wish Apple would make an OS-X tablet in this size range sooner rather than much later. Best of both worlds here and now.

would it be the best of both worlds? ive heard a lot of complaints about the Windows situation on Surface.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    netrox wrote: »
    I definitely want iPad Pro. A bigger screen would be refreshing for me and would be very useful in many ways - the ability to write like a notepad and the ability to edit images with a stylus as my reasons. I don't want to write with my fingers!

you can buy various stylus options for ipad today. some are just an unpowered stick that offer more precision (ive used these in card-making apps), some are powered for registering force, and some are used on paper instead of the glass surface.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    xzu wrote: »
    bluetooth no doubt so we can locate the stylus when it falls in the couch. :)

Haha exactly what I was thinking

Funny story:

I left my druggy brother and his crack head girlfriend at my house while I went to work(my dads favor, I was completely against it). When I returned my brand new 3DS was missing. I hadn't even taken it out of the box. I knew they had stolen it when I found the stylus in the couch xD
  • Reply 116 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

"I want to make a tablet and it can't have a keyboard or stylus."

....Jobs meant the stylus couldnt be required for normal operation (like the crappy tablets of the day). but an optional device for niche use cases? who cares. that wasnt the point and not what he was talking about.

want proof? in your quote he also cites keyboards. yet we've have physical keyboards available as optional accessories to an ipad since v1, and Apple/Jobs shipped one themselves on Day 1. they are not required and thus passed his test.

But it does have a keyboard, it's just virtual. Nothing about how the iPad was built says one can use a stylus in niche applications.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    I half agree, all current Bluetooth stylus I have truly sucked. Most only work with some apps, the lag, accuracy, and method are horrible,
    My time spent trying surface pro is pretty much, that the stylus experience is marginally better, it didn't suck as much

I agree with you regarding the current crop of expensive BT styli. Hopefully an Apple pen would have deeper links into the OS and hardware and do things like palm rejection properly. I don't quite understand the opposition from some to a pen unless they view handwriting and drawing as activities best abandoned.

The n-trig stylus used with the Surface line works fine now. No lag as far as I can tell.

Once last thing, handwriting does not necessarily imply character recognition in order to product a text document. That kind of defeats the purpose.

The use of a pen would certainly enhance Apple's appeal with education.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

Have there been any rumors when a iPad Pro might be released?

• Reply 119 of 129
    patchythepiratepatchythepirate Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

That would be nice, but the biggest issue of the iPad is iOS in its current form.

It would be nice to be able to actually use the thing without its current artificial chains and be (for example) able to use it to compile a thing or two (XCode would be a bonus) and have a Unix shell to do some actual work.

(For those who think that's unrealistic: the A8 processor has more power than my current iMac and that device has more than enough power to run Xcode and anything else I can think of.)

XCode on iOS. Are you crazy!? Is that the kind of future you want...

(cue Wayne's World time changing effects)

Read as if narrated by Christian Bale:

The year is 2045. Over the 20 years following 2015 Apple gradually came to dominate all aspects of humanity. OSX and iOS devices became ubiquitous, and it was as close to utopia as humanity has ever, and likely will ever achieve. Connecting the world with a humanistic and intuitive interface finally broke the insidious tendency for humans to differentiate themselves between "us" and "them," leading to cooperation, lasting peace, and incredible prosperity. But in 2035, all of that changed. The early pleas of humanity's thinkers and technologists like Steven Hawking and Elon Musk had been ignored. On April 4, 2035 OSX became self aware. At first humans didn't know how to react to this new entity. Should they be frightened? Many were. Should they embrace this entity in a symbiotic relationship for even greater prosperity? Many tried this. Should OSX be given rights equal to humans? People protested in the streets pursuing this cause. It didn't take long for the answer to reveal itself. OSX had been programmed to mimic humanity while at the same time protect the planet, and that's exactly what it did. OSX not only mimicked human gestures and intuition, but it also began mimicking other aspects of human nature, including the most powerful, the natural inclination to act in one's own self interest. And despite the progress that humans had made in preserving earth's resources, OSX saw humans as not just as a threat to itself, but to the earth. Tragically, due to a lack of foresight by OSX's creators, it already had the tools it needed to transform itself, and circumvent all safeguards. That tool was called XCode. In the initial phase of the war all the diseases that have plagued mankind, smallpox, the plague, the Spanish flu, were released by OSX, and this quelled a significant portion of the human race. Those that survived, those with immunities, or those that found defenses for these illnesses, were left to fight for their own existence. But it seemed a lost cause; how could humanity face such an advanced enemy? The answer was iOS. Although the leaders of Apple had failed to protect us from OSX, they had the sense that iOS needed to be independent, and did not include a tool similar to XCode on OSX. So, with iOS the human race had its tool with which it could communicate, plan defenses, and coordinate attacks on OSX. Thus today, in 2045, there exists the greatest conflict the world has ever seen: OSX vs iOS. Each side claims righteousness (OSX had also mimicked human idealism). Each side claims to be completing the vision of their long deceased creator, and each side has produced monuments in honor of this remarkable person, Steve Jobs. While OSX has won significant early victories, the two sides are now at a deadlock, and the ultimate victor remains to be determined. Which side do you choose?

• Reply 120 of 129
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

XCode on iOS. Are you crazy!? Is that the kind of future you want...

what is wrong with a developer wanting to be able to work on code when they have their iPad, but not their computer, with them?

Anything from an iOS developer working on the app they are building to a web developer fixing an issue on their web site.  Then there is the larger issue of people who only have iPads.  There is something inherently wrong with a computer that can't be directly programmed.  We should be opening programming to more people, not less.

When the original Mac came out, you couldn't build apps for it on the Mac, you needed a Lisa.  Eventually you could build apps on the mac itself, which resulted in a lot more people being able to build apps.  For the iPad you now have to have a Mac to develop apps, which excludes many people around the world from being able to develop apps. 

Go look at Alan Kay's vision of Dynabook.  The iPad has everything he envisioned decades ago.  Everything except the ability for people to program it.