How to start and monitor a workout on Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
One of the highlight features of the new Apple Watch is its fitness tracking abilities, which lets users track movement throughout the day, keep tabs on wellness goals and monitor specific workout routines.

To start a new workout session on Apple Watch, navigate to the Workout app.

Upon opening the app, users will be presented with a list of workouts from an Outdoor Walk to Rowing. There is also an other option if your workout does not fit into these categories. Tap the workout that best fits your routine.

Next you will choose a goal for your workout. Options are a calorie goal, time, distance, or OPEN with no goal specified. Once the goal is set, tap the Start button.

A short countdown will display on the Watch and the workout will begin.

During a workout, users can track calories burned, distance traveled, elapsed time, and take a heart rate measurement.

To end a workout, Force Touch by firmly pressing the screen.

A summary of your workout will be displayed with a percentage of completion and other stats.

Scroll to the bottom of this screen and choose to either Save or Discard the workout session.

Saved workouts and trends can be seen in the Activity app on your iPhone, while fitness data is automatically stored in the Health app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Can someone let me know if they've been able to sync this with Nike+ (not sure if it's even possible). The Nike+ app for the Watch is terribly slow and was really distracting by not having a convenient interface while running. Music cut out, watch rarely turned on without having to tap it. Then again, Nike's always been bad with their UIs.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Does it track everyday activity or do you have to go into the fitness app for it to track your walking and such. It is not clear if it does or does not.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Does it track everyday activity or do you have to go into the fitness app for it to track your walking and such. It is not clear if it does or does not.

The Watch will track every day activity. It will even add brisk activities as exercise. You only use Workout when you want to record an exercise by session, or want to exercise by goal.

In the end, all the data will be recorded to the same place, Health app on iPhone.

• Reply 4 of 12
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This is a somewhat puzzlingly designed app from Apple. Too many swipes back and forth required to get to relevant info. I wish there was a simple way to toggle between screens (distance, bpm, time elapsed, calories, etc) -- e.g., a double-tap.

I am not sure I trust the numbers it puts out. I noticed that that the number of calories are about half those shown by the (fairly) high end treadmill at my gym. Then I saw what the problem was: The Watch records about half the distance as the machine does. I am fairly certain that the machine is closer to the truth. bpm numbers fluctuate wildly (from the upper 80s to the 150s and back) -- trust me, I do not have arrhythmia! The bpm also takes a while to register, much longer than the machine. That's a bit annoying when all one wants is a quick glance.

Also, it would be nice if the Workout app was coordinated with the Activity app. It's just not clear how they are coordinated (for example, I spent 45 minutes at the gym today, yet the Activity app registered only a few minutes of it).
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    This is a somewhat puzzlingly designed app from Apple. Too many swipes back and forth required to get to relevant info. I wish there was a simple way to toggle between screens (distance, bpm, time elapsed, calories, etc) -- e.g., a double-tap.

I am not sure I trust the numbers it puts out. I noticed that that the number of calories are about half those shown by the (fairly) high end treadmill at my gym. Then I saw what the problem was: The Watch records about half the distance as the machine does. I am fairly certain that the machine is closer to the truth. bpm numbers fluctuate wildly (from the upper 80s to the 150s and back) -- trust me, I do not have arrhythmia! The bpm also takes a while to register, much longer than the machine. That's a bit annoying when all one wants is a quick glance.

Also, it would be nice if the Workout app was coordinated with the Activity app. It's just not clear how they are coordinated (for example, I spent 45 minutes at the gym today, yet the Activity app registered only a few minutes of it).
    Well, this is more than a little disturbing! One of the things that helped push me over the edge to getting an Apple Watch (Sport) was my faith that Apple would get the fitness tracking down in an awesome package. Clearly, they got the awesome package right. I hope that the fitness tracking issues are mostly fixable with software updates...

I suppose I could handle the Watch giving me different calorie counts than the equipment at the gym--I've never known what to do with the 850 calories "burned" information from the exercise bike. I guess as long as it is consistent so I can compare workouts rationally, that would be a plus. Currently, I work out at three different gyms. I ride the same model bike at each. They are so differently callibrated that they give calories burned totals that are 40% off for equivelant workouts... I assume the Watch will cut through that...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    An easier way to start the workout app is "Hey Siri, start workout" after which, the chooser appears to select the type of workout. I'm finding I never need to use the application icons. For example, to control the lights at home "Hey Siri, start OnSwitch" presents the OnSwitch app's watch extension.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [QUOTE]I am not sure I trust the numbers it puts out.[/QUOTE]

I've used a Fitbit One for several years and the Watch since the 24th. I've been using both simultaneously over the last 10 days to get a feel for how close (or not) the Watch is to the Fitbit. Over this period they've agreed on steps to within 300 steps a day (out of 20k+ steps per day, 150k steps per week). They treat calories differently with, I'm guessing, Fitbit including your BMR (basil metabolic rate, or resting burn rate) and Apple including only calories above your BMR. So, Fitbit shows 2243 calories whereas Apple shows 702 in the Activity app (which is labeled "Active Calories" in the Health app). I also use MyNetDiary, synced to Fitbit, and it estimates BMR and subtracts that from the Fitbit data. The result is very close to Apple's number (within about 50 calories a day).

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't include floors climbed, which the Fitbit provides. I'll miss that, but not enough to continue using the Fitbit.

More concerning, though, is that my health provider syncs with Fitbit to provide monetary incentives to stay fit. They also sync with Moves and Runkeeper. The problem is that these apps don't access Heath app data, so reflect only steps recorded by the iPhone's M7 processor and not steps recorded by the Watch and synced to Activities and Health. This is problematic since there are a lot of times my phone isn't with me. Fitbit is (err, was) always with me, in the same way that Watch is now, and it provided reliable data to my provider. There's currently no good replacement for it that I've found. This is a missing piece that needs a solution (I've contacted my provider to ask that they support HealthKit, or partner with an app that does).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [QUOTE]The problem is that these apps don't access Heath app data, so reflect only steps recorded by the iPhone's M7 processor[/QUOTE]

This sounds as though I'm implying Fitbit also uses the M7, which of course it doesn't. Just wanted to make it clear that I was referring only to Moves (which I'm certain uses the M7) and Runkeeper which I suspect does, but am not as certain about.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It will track "movement" throughout the day, but in order to have the exercise ring accurately fill up you're going to need to do a workout session like this.

• Reply 10 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Using watch since the 24th. Was pleasantly surprised (amazed) to see that distance and heartbeat were both almost dead on agreement with the treadmill at my gym.

Whether the Activity app logs something as exercise or activity seems a little uncertain, even when I choose a category in the Workout app. I tried carrying the iPhone while exercising to see if that helps. Jury still out, and I am still testing.

Bottom line, I like the watch and am glad I got it. I expect that these rough edges will be smoothed out with updates.

One more thing. I don't like the fact that using the Workout app "disables" Glances. I like to adjust music and podcasts while on the treadmill, and I have to go back to the watch screen first to invoke Glances to get to the audio controller. Then I have to go to the App screen to reopen Workout. Very inconvenient.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    This is off topic, but this is the most recent watch-related thread and I'd like some feedback. I have been finding "screenshots" of my watch face among several recent collections of photo events. Anyone else noticing this? Any idea why?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    This is off topic, but this is the most recent watch-related thread and I'd like some feedback. I have been finding "screenshots" of my watch face among several recent collections of photo events. Anyone else noticing this? Any idea why?

Have you been pressing the crown and contacts/ApplePay buttons at the same time (perhaps inadvertently)? That takes a Watch screen shot. Otherwise, I've no clue, and have not seen this.