Apple TV remote control to get touch pad when new version launches in June, report says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2015
According to a report on Monday, the Apple TV isn't the only piece of hardware in line for a redesign this year, as the device's long-in-the-tooth remote control is now expected to come with a built-in touch pad.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's upcoming Apple TV update, The New York Times reports the set-top streamer will come with a remote control that eschews existing directional ring buttons in favor of a touch pad.

Apple's new remote is expected to be slightly thicker than the current iteration and will retain two physical buttons, potentially the play/pause and menu pushers seen on the current device.

Originally launched with Apple TV in 2007, the current remote is milled from a single piece of aluminum and is considered by some as masterwork in design and engineering. With a highly streamlined button interface boiled down to only bare UI navigation necessities, the remote was trumpeted as a hallmark of Apple design and subsequently used to demonstrate such tenets at Apple University.

The report goes on to say that customers should see the revamped product launch alongside a refreshed Apple TV at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference June. Current rumors claim the new hardware will feature an A8 processor, dedicated App Store and Siri voice controls.

Apple is also widely rumored to be readying an over-the-top subscription streaming service to launch alongside new Apple TV hardware. During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call last week, CEO Tim Cook alluded to a coming shift in media consumption, saying his company could play a role in what he sees as "major, major changes" to the sector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    technically, the click wheel on later iPods like the Classic were touch sensors: they didn't have a moving wheel.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

technically, the click wheel on later iPods like the Classic were touch sensors: they didn't have a moving wheel.

Yeah I never understood why they didn't put an iPod-like click wheel on the Apple TV remote. It would work great for scrolling lists and people were used to this interface.

• Reply 3 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    The ATV remote is the worst engineered piece of hardware to ever come out of Apple. It seems purpose-built to generate errors when entering letters and numbers. I am convinced Steve never used it. If he had, he'd have thrown it against a wall and fired those responsible. Good riddance!

If used as an exemplar at Apple U, it should be as one of form triumphing over function. A beautiful piece of shit.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The ATV remote is the worst engineered piece of hardware to ever come out of Apple. It seems purpose-built to generate errors when entering letters and numbers. I am convinced Steve never used it. If he had, he'd have thrown it against a wall and fired those responsible. Good riddance!

If used as an exemplar at Apple U, it should be as one of form triumphing over function. A beautiful piece of shit.

All remotes are terrible at keyboard functions. I have to wonder how PrimeSense will figure into this though.

• Reply 5 of 42
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

Another RUMOR!   Why a touchpad?!?!  I have 3 AppleTV 3's and I don't know where a single Apple remote for any of them are at.   I know I lost one years ago at my old place.  The other 2?!?!  I use Harmony 900 remotes to control them and it works great.    Because it's a RF to IR remote, I don't need line of site and control in the other room if I want.  

• Reply 6 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Another RUMOR!   Why a touchpad?!?!  I have 3 AppleTV 3's and I don't know where a single Apple remote for any of them are at.   I know I lost one years ago at my old place.  The other 2?!?!  I use Harmony 900 remotes to control them and it works great.    Because it's a RF to IR remote, I don't need line of site and control in the other room if I want.  

Hello! I use my iPad and the free app 'Remote' it's even easier as you have touch control and a keyboard and it's free with every iPad and it's wifi no need for RF, IR or whatever.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hello! I use my iPad and Remote it's even easier as I have touch control and a keyboard and it's free with every iPad and it's wifi no need for RF, IR or whatever.

At times I use my MessagePad 2100 for my TV.

My preferred remote is my PS3's remote though. Bluetooth makes it so nice to use.

• Reply 8 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Because it's not possible that Steve could get design and UX wrong once in a while? He loved the hockey puck mouse too.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Because it's not possible that Steve could get design and UX wrong once in a while? He loved the hockey puck mouse too.

At least the remote and mouse worked...unlike this:

• Reply 10 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... eschews existing directional ring buttons in favor of a touch pad.

Interesting. But I'll probably just continue to use the Remote app on my ?Watch.

• Reply 11 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    No it won't. It will come with the same remote and you will control it with iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. Adding touchpad will not achieve anything other than making the thing more expensive.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Actually the original iMac hockey puck mouse was probably worse. It caused carpal tunnel syndrome and the user frequently couldn't determine its orientation without moving it.

• Reply 13 of 42
    dbbcdbbc Posts: 14member
    I use my iPhone and the free Apple app called 'Remote'. It gives you touch control and a keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    otterfishotterfish Posts: 45member

Air TV remote...

• Reply 15 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I'm sure this will also have force touch and haptic feedback implemented, would would be pretty sweet.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Hello! I use my iPad and the free app 'Remote' it's even easier as you have touch control and a keyboard and it's free with every iPad and it's wifi no need for RF, IR or whatever.

How do you get your iPad/iPhone remote app to work if the AppleTV is connected to the ethernet rather than wifi?

• Reply 17 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbc View Post

I use my iPhone and the free Apple app called 'Remote'. It gives you touch control and a keyboard.

See above.

• Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

How do you get your iPad/iPhone remote app to work if the AppleTV is connected to the ethernet rather than wifi?

iPhone/iPad and ATV just need to be on the same network. My ATV is connected to an Ethernet port on my WiFi router.

• Reply 19 of 42
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    This is good the current model is not very good, fussy to work right. But Remote on the iPhone is better for sure
  • Reply 20 of 42

Hmm... No mention of a microphone for Siri use? Doesn't seem like a very good rumour to me.