Apple stops iOS 8.2 code signing, prevents downgrades from iOS 8.3

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Apple has stopped signing the code for iOS 8.2, meaning that anyone wanting to downgrade from iOS 8.3 through iTunes will no longer be able to do so, accounts indicated on Monday.

The change was pointed out by various developers on Twitter such as Steve Troughton-Smith. Apple regularly stops signing older versions of iOS once there are no longer any worries about an update causing major security or functional problems.

People with jailbroken devices must now be especially careful about avoiding updates to iOS 8.3, as it will return a device to factory settings without a means of undoing the process.

iOS 8.3 was released nearly a month ago with a variety of features and interface tweaks, including wireless CarPlay support, more emoji characters, and extra accents and languages for Siri. Perhaps the biggest focus, though, was on bug fixes and performance improvements, which numbered in the dozens.

Apple has already released two betas of iOS 8.4, which incorporates a radically redesigned Music app with components like a persistent MiniPlayer. There's no indication of when it will reach the public, but it will presumably be finished by the time Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference arrives on June 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Cue non-sensical shrieks of outrage. 

• Reply 2 of 13
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Whats bad about this is if you want to test an application on an older version of the software you have to remember to never upgrade the device.

Now that iOS 8 has 80%+ penetration it means that there's still 18% running 7. I'd be very nice to be able to switch back and forth on the same device. because if you're just starting today you can't buy a device with iOS 7 on it new, you have to troll around eBay and Craigslist.

• Reply 3 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    One thing that I don't like about the older versions being obsoleted in this manner is that a major crash that requires a restore forces you into an upgrade if you are running an older version. This isn't always desirable, especially for older hardware like the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkman View Post

One thing that I don't like about the older versions being obsoleted in this manner is that a major crash that requires a restore forces you into an upgrade if you are running an older version. This isn't always desirable, especially for older hardware like the iPhone 4S.

In my 8 years of owning iOS devices, from the original iPhone to the iPhone 6, and the original iPad to the iPad Air 2, from iOS1 to iOS8.3,  I have yet to encounter "a major crash that requires a restore", whatever that means. 

• Reply 5 of 13
    cogitodextercogitodexter Posts: 196member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

In my 8 years of owning iOS devices, from the original iPhone to the iPhone 6, and the original iPad to the iPad Air 2, from iOS1 to iOS8.3,  I have yet to encounter "a major crash that requires a restore", whatever that means. 

That may be so, but since I certainly have - twice - needed to completely refresh a couple of iPhones due to problems with Springboard and battery life issues that stemmed from said problems, it must therefore be said that your statement can only be subjective.

• Reply 6 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »

Go to any Apple store, and you'll find plenty of people with that problem.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member
    Quote:

"a major crash that requires a restore", whatever that means. 

You do not have a lot of experience with computers do you?

• Reply 8 of 13

The point here is that for what ever reason, you're prevented from downgrading. The iOS 7 update (which I despise) made my iPhone 4 unusable and there was no way to revert.

• Reply 9 of 13
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    linkman wrote: »
    Why would you not be running the latest OS on iPhone 4S? It can certainly handle it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Why would you not be running the latest OS on iPhone 4S? It can certainly handle it.

Because the newer OS on older hardware runs worse and slower than the previous versions and there are plenty of test results to show it.

• Reply 11 of 13
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Because the newer OS on older hardware runs worse and slower than the previous versions and there are plenty of test results to show it.

In my experience, using it everyday, quite heavy usage, its pretty slick, pretty fast and I have not noticed anything that would make me wish I could go back. But you keep looking at those graphs and charts if thats what makes you happy.

• Reply 12 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

My daughter had a situation on her 4S where it would not startup and the only recourse was to do a restore. Four iPhones in use in my household and one has required a restore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

iOS 8 definitely runs more slowly on my 4S than 7. It is acceptable to me however. Nitpickers would probably be less than satisfied. This is most likely why 8 isn't supported on the iPhone 4 and earlier.

• Reply 13 of 13
    swaylonswaylon Posts: 24member
    I have no reason to go back to iOS 8.2 except that Pages is very blurry with iOS 8.3 So if the premise is "there are no major issues," someone missed this one because Pages is useless right now. There was an App update but that didn't fix it.