Apple Watch workout battery life falling short in some cases, owners complain

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
The Apple Watch can offer inconsistent power consumption while tracking workouts, particularly during outdoor activities like cycling, according to a handful of complaints received by AppleInsider and seen on Twitter.

Apple officially states that the Watch should be able to last up to 6.5 hours under non-stop workout conditions. In many real-world cases the device is close to that mark, but in some instances users said their wearable has fallen well short.

One AppleInsider reader noted that he was able to get just two hours of battery life while cycling. Most Twitter comments appear to praise battery life during exercise, but one example from Twitter mentions power dropping 13 percentage points in 34 minutes of activity.

Another cyclist said his Watch fell to 29 percent after a little over three hours and 15 minutes of riding.

One of biggest drains on the Watch during a workout is the heart rate sensor, which flashes rapid visible or infrared light pulses to monitor blood flow. Apple in fact offers a "Power Saving Mode" in the Workout section of the Apple Watch iPhone app that will force less intense tracking. Users who are experiencing poor battery life during workouts should try this setting to extend uptime.

Outdoor exercises are likely imposing extra drain since they ideally use a paired iPhone's GPS to calculate distance. The Watch has built-in motion sensors, but these are less accurate for distance measurements.

Apple estimates that under regular conditions, the Watch should last 18 hours on a charge, including a 30-minute workout with on-device music playback, and 45 minutes of app use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Idiots! It's not meant for workouts so long
  • Reply 2 of 153
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    They better fix this fast. I am getting the Sport model specifically for cycling, and using it in conjunction with the Strava app.

Two "killer apps" for me: 1) getting notifications while cycling, such that I don't have to stop the bike and get my phone out; 2) seeing my Strava stats while on the bike, again, without the need to stop and get my phone out.

The Apple Watch will fail (for me) if its power capabilities fall short in this respect.
  • Reply 3 of 153
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. It should have a beta tag slapped on it. All I hear about this thing are complaints. And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. The wheels are coming off in Cupertino.
  • Reply 4 of 153
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. It should have a beta tag slapped on it. All I hear about this thing are complaints. And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. The wheels are coming off in Cupertino.

LOL! Chicken Little fail.

My experience is not perfect, but it's not what you said. Not nearly.

• Reply 5 of 153
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Prior to the watch coming out and I am no Fitness nut either I was researching fitness and activities monitors, the general consensuses among those who seem to know is there is no reason to track your heart rate constantly as you exercise. Yes there is group people seem to make a big deal about it ,however, there is no benefit to knowing this information unless you doing some sort of research and your tracking how a specific activity changes your heart rate over time. This is just a group of OCD types who think knowing this information will some how make them a better athlete.

I think we have an example of people using the device in a way which is not an intended use case nor needed.

Beside the constant monitoring of the heart, I wonder if they are having the same issue that was reported about the display staying on while driving. If while cycling the motion keeps the screen active along with the heart rate monitor being active I can see this killing the battery.
  • Reply 6 of 153
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

They better fix this fast. I am getting the Sport model specifically for cycling, and using it in conjunction with the Strava app.

Two "killer apps" for me: 1) getting notifications while cycling, such that I don't have to stop the bike and get my phone out; 2) seeing my Strava stats while on the bike, again, without the need to stop and get my phone out.

The Apple Watch will fail (for me) if its power capabilities fall short in this respect.

Wasn't using Strava, but I rode my bike for three hours yesterday using the native Workout app and still had 75% power afterwards. Never had to pull my iPhone out.

My experience at the moment is that 3rd party apps need a Lot of work. Apple and Developers both need more real user experience to iron out the wrinkles.

• Reply 7 of 153
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    My guess is that their motion is activating the screen a lot, killing battery life.

Of course, "a handful" is like three, so...
  • Reply 8 of 153
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Idiots! It's not meant for workouts so long

They were idiots for buying one then.

• Reply 9 of 153
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

I can EASILY get 24 hours of battery life including two 30 minute workout sessions. Hard for me to believe the watch can't go 2 hours. 

• Reply 10 of 153
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Outdoor exercises are likely imposing extra drain since they ideally use a paired iPhone's GPS to calculate distance. The Watch has built-in motion sensors, but these are less accurate for distance measurements.

Why would using GPS on the iPhone tend to drain the Watch's battery? The iPhone's battery, sure, but not that of the watch.

• Reply 11 of 153
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    macvicta wrote: »

Total bullshit! Where do people come up with this crap. This article and headline included! This is really simple.for the intellectually challenged - Tip: If engaging in workouts longer than 1 hour, set the "power saving mode" to "on" under "Workouts" in the iPhone Apple Watch application.

Instead of this ridiculous article and headline, AI should have listed this as a "Tip" instead of burying a brief mention of the solution at the end of the article.
  • Reply 12 of 153

They tested the hell out of this thing.  That's documented.  Apple most certainly field tested just about every possible outdoor fitness use case.  If this teeny sample of users are indeed having issues and aren't slinging FUD, there's most certainly some other environmental variable at play.  

For what it's worth, I have 4 friends who own Apple Watches and battery life has never been a complaint.  Neither has screen activation.  In fact, the only complaint amongst the mountain of praise has been a little bit of lag while using some 3rd party apps, which most certainly will be corrected in an upcoming software update.  

Definitely no buggier than the first iPhone.  

• Reply 13 of 153
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

A few observations from my workouts.

1. Bluetooth audio is battery draining, if the user is playing music from the watch to their earphones there will be an additional source of battery drain. It's not obscene, but it's noticeable. (Note that this isn't unusual, it's the same on smart phones, bluetooth audio is a known for this.)

2. If the HR monitoring panel is selected (instead of the default time exercise panel) then more HR measurements are taken, also any triggering of the screen forces the device to take another HR measurement when the HR panel is active.

3. The HR measurement times aren't arbitrary, they seem to be a combination of periodic measurements and additional measurements based on intelligence, likely related to the selected activity and available sensor input (e.g. accelerometers.) One can compare the record of readings using the Health app on the iPhone. Endurance exercise tends to be quite stable with regard to HR; other than being distracting to the exercise, frequent HR checks are unnecessary for long endurance exercising.

If a user needs to get an exceptionally long amount of workout time (say 6+ hours), then they should use bluetooth audio from their phone, a HR chest strap and perhaps opt for the 42mm model which seems to have a noticeably longer battery life. Along with charging before leaving.

That said, this type of athlete is likely to be using these devices already.

• Reply 14 of 153
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

First generation model, what do you expect? Apple will sort these things out in second generation.

• Reply 15 of 153
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. 

Not even close. 

Mine has been great. For such a big launch there's been relatively few complaints. Remember antenna-gate?

• Reply 16 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Are you planning on riding for 6.5 hours?
  • Reply 17 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Does anyone know why Apple didn't put a larger battery in the watch? Theories or what have you..

I can't remember where I saw it (maybe ifixit) but it was mentioned that there are larger capacity batteries that size that would fit.

Weight? Take a look at those gigantic Android watches, you'll get less battery life out of one of them.
  • Reply 18 of 153
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    ecats wrote: »
    A few observations from my workouts.

1. Bluetooth audio is battery draining, if the user is playing music from the watch to their earphones there will be an additional source of battery drain. It's not obscene, but it's noticeable. (Note that this isn't unusual, it's the same on smart phones, bluetooth audio is a known for this.)

2. If the HR monitoring panel is selected (instead of the default time exercise panel) then more HR measurements are taken, also any triggering of the screen forces the device to take another HR measurement when the HR panel is active.

3. The HR measurement times aren't arbitrary, they seem to be a combination of periodic measurements and additional measurements based on intelligence, likely related to the selected activity and available sensor input (e.g. accelerometers.) One can compare the record of readings using the Health app on the iPhone. Endurance exercise tends to be quite stable with regard to HR; other than being distracting to the exercise, frequent HR checks are unnecessary for long endurance exercising.

If a user needs to get an exceptionally long amount of workout time (say 6+ hours), then they should use bluetooth audio from their phone, a HR chest strap and perhaps opt for the 42mm model which seems to have a noticeably longer battery life. Along with charging before leaving.
    That said, this type of athlete is likely to be using these devices already.

Thank you! A ray of intelligence on the subject! AI should hire you.
  • Reply 19 of 153
    peejaybeepeejaybee Posts: 54member
    the main problem, not mentioned here, is that it stops a workout partway through. I'd read about it re a marathon. Now I've experienced it twice - went for a family bike ride, wasn't serious enough to strava so I used the Workout app, hit outdoor cycle, pressed start. When I looked a couple of hours later it had stopped it's self after 1.5 miles - annoying.
  • Reply 20 of 153
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Wasn't using Strava, but I rode my bike for three hours yesterday using the native Workout app and still had 75% power afterwards. Never had to pull my iPhone out.

My experience at the moment is that 3rd party apps need a Lot of work. Apple and Developers both need more real user experience to iron out the wrinkles.

Apple shouldn't get a pass to "iron out the wrinkles".  If and when other non Apple products behave in any way close to this most people say Apple would never do that or the product is crap because of it. Actually, if this Apple Watch wasn't made by Apple and everything else was the same people would be hammering the product big time.