How Another Hollywood Lap Dog Wants To Fight P2P

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From <a href="http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/10862_1377581"; target="_blank">This article</a>:

[quote] Fed up with illegal file sharing over peer-to-peer networks like Morpheus and KaZaA, U.S. Rep. Howard L. Berman (D-Mission Hills, CA) is putting the final touches on a bill he says should help curb copyright infringement.

Berman's proposed legislation calls for a myriad of measures including stronger digital rights management laws, lawsuits by copyright owners, and prosecutions against the most gregarious infringers. Additionally he calls for "technological self-help measures" including redirection, decoys, spoofing and file blocking.

"I am a strong believer in the beneficial potential of P2P networks but most people currently use them for unbridled copyright piracy," Berman said in a statement issued Tuesday. "Billions of P2P downloads every month constitute copyright infringements for which creators and owners receive no compensation. P2P piracy must be cleaned up. The question is how." <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I love when politicians don't have any idea what they're talking about. He says as much when he says, "The question is how." There is no how. There will always be ways of getting around it. It's time for them to stop trying to prevent it and work with it. The first label that gives up the fight and decides that you can download and burn any song they put out for a reasonable cost will be the king of the hill. Say 90¢ for a song download (mp3 or mp4 at no less than 192 kbps). That would do it for me. Get a CD for $10, no overhead beyond the bandwidth for them.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i wouldn't pay $10 for a cd i had to burn. honestly, the only reason i buy cds, and i buy a lot of them, is for the pretty packaging