'CBS Sports' & 'USA Now' channels come to Apple TV [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2015
Apple continues to gradually expand the channel options available on its Apple TV set-top box, with both "CBS Sports" and "USA Now" automatically arriving on second- and third-generation devices on Tuesday.

Update: Apple also added new channels for users in Canada, France, and Germany. Canadians receive access to CraveTV and Shomi, while French and German users receive Arte.

Both channels could automatically appear on the home screen for owners of the small, black, puck-like streaming device. As with many other channels available, users must log in with their cable provider's credentials to authorize access to streaming content.

CBS Sports includes original shows and exclusive content, such as analysis of the current Major League Baseball season and the just-concluded National Football League draft. A special section is also devoted to fantasy sports leagues.

USA Now offers access to the cable channel's lineup of original programs, including "Sirens," "Chrisley Knows Best," Suits," and "Burn Notice."

For the last few years, Apple has been steadily adding content options to the Apple TV, in lieu of major software or hardware updates. That's expected to change in June, when Apple is rumored to unveil a brand new Apple TV with a dedicated App Store at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Other recent additions to the Apple TV include NBC Sports Live Extra, HBO Now, CNNgo, TED, Tastemade, and Young Hollywood.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    But but but... AppleTV was only good for YouTube and now that it's gone from really old ones, Apple is just contributing to landfills. /s
  • Reply 2 of 17
    It's coming! Get excited.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but... AppleTV was only good for YouTube and now that it's gone from really old ones, Apple is just contributing to landfills. /s

Not Apple's fault. Google requires certain specs and they didn't feel the original Apple TV met them. 

I know you were being sarcastic but for those who don't read or understand this, I made sure they understood why YouTube isn't on older Apple TVs.

Of course, I'm still upset these channels still require a cable or satellite service. They're just cluttering up my screen and forcing Apple to come up with a better channel guide.

• Reply 4 of 17
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Comcast is progressively blocking more and more channels from the lineup I can get on AppleTV. So they know something is coming. Comcast can suck it. I hope Apple gets direct deals and I can subscribe without Comcast. Comcast needs to go the way of the Bells where they become a carrier and that is all.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Comcast is progressively blocking more and more channels from the lineup I can get on AppleTV. So they know something is coming. Comcast can suck it. I hope Apple gets direct deals and I can subscribe without Comcast. Comcast needs to go the way of the Bells where they become a carrier and that is all.

What? How is Comcast blocking channels?

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As with many other channels available, users must log in with their cable provider's credentials to authorize access to streaming content.

?

For the last few years, Apple has been steadily adding content options to the Apple TV, in lieu of major software or hardware updates. That's expected to change in June, when Apple is rumored to unveil a brand new Apple TV with a dedicated App Store at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The added channels are all well and good, but requiring "cable provider's credentials" seems to diminish the value. It doesn't affect me directly, since I have a cable subscription, but these channels are somewhat redundant compared to the free on-demand channels from Time Warner.

Maybe the new ATV offering will include a relatively low-cost subscription service that will allow all those channels without a cable/sat subscription?

• Reply 7 of 17
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

WhyTF is Apple even allowing this nonsense?  If they are serious about "cutting the cord" they might to start by blocking these stupid apps that require a cable subscription.

• Reply 8 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I will only get excited when like Netflix and HBO Now these options are free from any cable subscription requirement and like Netflix, but unlike HBO Now, are priced right.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

WhyTF is Apple even allowing this nonsense?  If they are serious about "cutting the cord" they might to start by blocking these stupid apps that require a cable subscription.

What is really irritating is that the channel icons are just in a dumping ground. We only use Netflix and YouTube (oops, not anymore).

If Netflix wasn't so elegant looking on our ATV, I'd get rid of it, as we can access NetFlix via our Blu-Ray player.

Maybe Apple can create folders for some channels? Like ones for 1) Free (with ads), 2) Subscription, 3) Cable.

• Reply 10 of 17
    rockymrockym Posts: 4member
    Hello Verizon, I quit....(very soon now)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rockym wrote: »
    Hello Verizon, I quit....(very soon now)

I did several years ago. I dropped TV and Land Line but retained a 75/50 FiOS internet service with them. I have been told by several people lately that now if you try this they charge more for just internet than their 'triple' play' service. Anyone here got any experience of this?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    rob53 wrote: »

Not Apple's fault. Google requires certain specs and they didn't feel the original Apple TV met them. 

I know you were being sarcastic but for those who don't read or understand this, I made sure they understood why YouTube isn't on older Apple TVs.

Of course, I'm still upset these channels still require a cable or satellite service. They're just cluttering up my screen and forcing Apple to come up with a better channel guide.

You can hide any channel apps that clutter your screen. Select the icon, hold down the select button on the remote, and when it starts to jiggle, press Play/Pause button. You can also move the icons around.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    pfisher wrote: »

What is really irritating is that the channel icons are just in a dumping ground. We only use Netflix and YouTube (oops, not anymore).

If Netflix wasn't so elegant looking on our ATV, I'd get rid of it, as we can access NetFlix via our Blu-Ray player.

Maybe Apple can create folders for some channels? Like ones for 1) Free (with ads), 2) Subscription, 3) Cable.

You can hide icons you don't use. See my previous post.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Consumers who don't want Internet access to these channels are asked to pay for it anyway.

Consumers who want to cut the cable are asked to pay for it anyway.

This is f-cked up.

Solution: read a book, browse the Internet, make love. There are lots of other options besides kowtowing to these bloated bastards.

• Reply 15 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

The added channels are all well and good, but requiring "cable provider's credentials" seems to diminish the value. It doesn't affect me directly, since I have a cable subscription, but these channels are somewhat redundant compared to the free on-demand channels from Time Warner.

Maybe the new ATV offering will include a relatively low-cost subscription service that will allow all those channels without a cable/sat subscription?

Well I don't pay for TV service.  So Now I have more worthless crap I have to remove from my 3 Apple TV 3's since I don't have the normal cable provider credentials.  This is really annoying.  This is yet another example for having a App Store.  Keep this crap in the store and those that want it and download it.   Those that don't, don't have to deal with it.

I'm sure not going to pay Apple $30-$40 for a TV service Bundle. That's no better then the cable company's!!!!  Except instead of paying them, I'm paying Apple?  No thanks!!!  i already think SlingTV at $20 is to much.  Add in of of the other bundles and it goes up even more.  Here's a idea, let me create my own Bundle!!!  Let me NOT subsidized ESPN because I don't want it.  Why does everyone that want Sling forced to Subsidized ESPN???  That's no better then Cable.  In fact you're getting less channels for your money then if you just paid for Cable TV.   If I can pick what channels I want in the 50 cent to $1 range each, great.  if it's not that, Good luck with that.  It's no different then what's already out.

• Reply 16 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

You can at least hide the channels you don't want, which is MOST OF THEM!!!  It just sucks I'm forced to manually do it and for all 3 of my Apple TV 3's.

• Reply 17 of 17
    drewskdrewsk Posts: 7member
    Canadian's shouldn't jump up and down about the addition of either CraveTV or Shomi.

CraveTV goes for $4.00 / month
    Shomi is $8.99

You can only get them if your a subscriber to the cable companies that promote (created) the channels. For CraveTV - you have to be a Bell Subscriber - or it's partners/affiliated TV customers.

For Shomi - you have to be a Rogers or Shaw customer.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/bell-medias-cravetv-and-rogersshaws-shomi-now-available-on-apple-tv?__lsa=b46d-37b3

Sucks. I get Shomi for free. Wanted to look at CraveTV - but am never subscribing to Bell.