iOS-exclusive Periscope torpedoed Mayweather-Pacquiao PPV sales, promoter says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

So darn greedy, it makes me sick! Yea its not right for people to steal, but they are also price gouging at $100 and the price of tickets, etc. They broke PPV records and made tons and tons of money in various ways, but they want every cent!

They can charge whatever they want. It was their event.

And they should not be surprised that people will steal it as a result. They are fighting the new paradigms just as the music industry did. We will see who wins the next round.

• Reply 22 of 42
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    And they should not be surprised that people will steal it as a result. They are fighting the new paradigms just as the music industry did. We will see who wins the next round.

qft !
    Did those people who watched a "dodgy" stream want to see the fight ? Yes, of course.
    Were they ever going to pay for it ? Nope.

Not sure what the answer is but charging a heap for ppv will ensure that there will always be alternatives.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I guarantee if they lost money there won't be a next round.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    robm wrote: »
    qft !
    Did those people who watched a "dodgy" stream want to see the fight ? Yes, of course.
    Were they ever going to pay for it ? Nope.

Not sure what the answer is but charging a heap for ppv will ensure that there will always be alternatives.

Maybe the answer is to offer very low resolution alternatives? Like, $5.00 to watch it over Periscope or Meerkat?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Idk. but having watched my share of low resolution streams, all I can say is, It ain't worth it, at any price. :D
  • Reply 26 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

People who could afford to attend the last fight of the century likely have deep pockets worth going after, as does Twitter. Proving damages would require knowledge of who and how many people watched the bootlegged streams, though. Fortunately Twitter management is smart enough not to log these statistics. :rolleyes:

• Reply 27 of 42
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I doubt anyone who bothered to tune in via Periscope was planning on paying to view that fight anyway. It's the same reason millions of Chinese downloaded pirated Windows software in China.

I didn't even think about watching this way.  I don't have Cable TV service.  Hell I've never used Periscope or really know what it is for that matter, though it seems to be some type of video streaming thing.  I just didn't care about watching the fight.  Sometimes I go watch LIVE at the movie theater on the Huge screen Boxing or UFC.  It's like $25, but with my Movie Pass Subscription I get in for like $12.   They didn't have this fight, and I just didn't care to watch anyway.   Of course all the Filipino's at work wanted to see Pacquiao to win.   From what I've seen on the scoring card, Mayweather was the clear winner.

Stopping Periscope or any other type of service like that wouldn't have gained much in sales.  Hell I hear there were already PPV issues and people missing the fight that did pay!!!  To me that's a far bigger issue!!! 

• Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Screwthat.. They should refund everyone who paid $100 for that lame fight. At least Mayweather should forfeit his earnings for the 12 rounds of running and hugging he did. It didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

Total punches thrown: Mayweather 435, Pacquiao 429

Total punches landed: Mayweather 148 (34%), Pacquiao 81 (19%)

• Reply 29 of 42
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member

Total punches thrown: Mayweather 435, Pacquiao 429
    Total punches landed: Mayweather 148 (34%), Pacquiao 81 (19%)

There's no Compu Box stats for number of hugs, arm locks, and miles ran around the ring. Did you even see the fight? Yes, Mayweather clearly won but the way he won was why it was such a terrible fight priced for $100 and even way more for those that bought tickets. Pacquiao fought with a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, clearly wasn't himself fighting, shows his greed as well as the fight should've been postponed..
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

There's no Compu Box stats for number hugs, arm locks, and miles ran around the ring. Did you even see the fight? Yes, Mayweather clearly won but the way he won was why it was such a terrible fight priced for $100 and even way more for those that bought tickets.

Mayweather was the boxer and Pacquiao was the brawler. That was supposed to be what was so interesting about the matchup. However, if you're going to be mad at anyone, it should be Pacquiao with the claims of being injured before he even got in the ring. That's the guy stealing your money.

• Reply 31 of 42
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    This is great! Keep up the good work, Periscope. Professional sports is a ridiculous industry where people are paid way too much money for being good at throwing a ball or something.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    "fight of the century" LOLOLOL If there's one thing that I have absolutely zero sympathy about being pirated it's the once-great, now hopelessly corrupt sport of boxing.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

agreed -- this is just the free market reacting to an artifically-high price. the promoters will discover that if they price their good too high, and there are good-enough ways to circumvent that price, at least some of the market will do so.

if one advocates for the libertarian "laissez faire" lifestyle, then be prepared to deal with that...
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Screwthat.. They should refund everyone who paid $100 for that lame fight. At least Mayweather should forfeit his earnings for the 12 rounds of running and hugging he did. It didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

I paid $50 for two of us to watch the fight at a local sports bar that was charging $25/ticket. It was a lame fight, but a fun night chatting with others. It wasn't the cheapest evenings entertainment I've paid for, but that's basically what it was ... I imagine for those who paid $100, it was worth the social interaction to share it with their friends. 

• Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

agreed -- this is just the free market reacting to an artifically-high price. the promoters will discover that if they price their good too high, and there are good-enough ways to circumvent that price, at least some of the market will do so.

if one advocates for the libertarian "laissez faire" lifestyle, then be prepared to deal with that...

Please explain what is wrong with private parties engaging in free trade.

• Reply 36 of 42
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Please explain what is wrong with private parties engaging in free trade.

Plenty, not everything traded is done so legally.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Plenty, not everything traded is done so legally.

Give it your best shot.

• Reply 38 of 42
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Give it your best shot.

Ivory, cocaine, heroin, guns, people, the list goes on and on.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Greed knows no end. Record breaking PPV profits and these people are still crying. Whatever clown said the studios need to ban together is clueless. I know for a fact that there were so many multi-million dollar private jets in Vegas for the fight, they couldn't park them all at the airport (they were diverting them to other local fields). Many of those jets belonged to the studios and entertainment industry. So, in fact, Periscope is NOT hurting them. You guys that are all complaining about livelihoods being effected and the industry being ripped, off have NO idea just how little impact it actually has. You can't blame technology for this. Technology is what made all the entertainment execs into millionaires.   

Reap what they sow.

• Reply 40 of 42
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I couldn't believe it. The following morning, the professional feed was right there on Facebook. All 12 rounds. I watched round 4 and nearly fell asleep and called it good.

Is this Periscope app capable of HD? I'll keep an eye out for a few of those just to see what they look like. One day, when cameras are basically embedded into our eyes (or the space between our eyes), reality tv will take another leap. Why Facebook when your entire life, in real time, can be steamed.

Back to current reality, stealing is stealing. But when they charge $100 for a fight, they surely understand that someone is going to pirate the thing. We are nearly at the point where everything can be recorded. Industry Executives...get used to it. Work WITH it. Don't even fight it. It might be better for you in the long run anyhow.