Apple Pay lands 24 new bank and credit union partnerships

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
In an update to its Apple Pay support webpage on Tuesday, Apple announced a new batch of 24 participating card issuers, with credit unions accounting for a large majority of additions.

The new banks and credit unions were added to a rolling list of Apple Pay participating issuers, which is closing in on 250 officially announced institutions. New issuers are listed below:
  • Bellwether Community Credit Union
  • Benchmark Federal Credit Union
  • Blackhawk Community Credit Union
  • Community America Credit Union
  • Community First Credit Union
  • Connections Credit Union
  • cPort Credit Union
  • Denver Fire Department FCU
  • Electro Savings Credit Union
  • Elements Financial FCU
  • First Financial Credit Union
  • Greater Nevada Credit Union
  • Harvard Universities Employees Credit Union
  • Interra Credit Union
  • Kern Schools Federal Credit Union
  • Nusenda Credit Union
  • People's Trust Federal Credit Union
  • Premier America Credit Union
  • Premier Members Federal Credit Union
  • SAFE Credit Union
  • Scient Federal Credit Union
  • The Bancorp Bank
  • Tucson Federal Credit Union
  • Union Bank & Trust Co.
Apple is continuously building out its Apple Pay backbone, which for now is limited to customers in the U.S. In March, Apple added 39 participating banks and credit unions, a feat repeated in April.

On the merchant side, Apple most recently announced support from ten retailers including Gamestop and T-Mobile. Earlier on Tuesday, Home Depot said it has plans to officially adopt Apple's service for in-store payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

It's not listed in this article, but my CU was finally added!

I could use some bananas, time to go to Sprouts I guess (ain't going to McCrap).

• Reply 2 of 12
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Need more retailer support
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Need more retailer support

You get the retailers AFTER you get their banks...not the other way around.

Meanwhile, that other company...whatstheirname with the new CEO, is still diddling around and haven't even got their crapware out the door yet. By the time they get their poorly implemented idea ready for prime time, (if ever) no one will give a hoot... beside why would I as a consumer want to use a service that isn't as secure as Apple Pay and I have to assume all liabilities if their services is hacked? No good, bye bye, what-ever-your-name-is.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Meanwhile, that other company...whatstheirname with the new CEO, is still diddling around and haven't even got their crapware out the door yet. By the time they get their poorly implemented idea ready for prime time, (if ever) no one will give a hoot... beside why would I as a consumer want to use a service that isn't as secure as Apple Pay and I have to assume all liabilities if their services is hacked? No good, bye bye, what-ever-your-name-is.

You are talking about CurrentC   (It's pronounced as Currency!!)  With the whole oading up a App and then having to take pictures of QR codes back and forth.  ya, really speedy,..NOT  All about tracing everything you do and having direct access to your bank account to get around credit card fee's.  you know credit cards where you have protection under the law against fraud, and only liable for up to $50.  Generally it's nothing as it has been for me.   Good luck when money is taken right out of your bank account directly.  You don't have that protection.  You can google and see how that's worked out for those dumb enough to link their Bank account to PayPal instead of just using a credit card!!!

The Downfall which I'm surprised is already happening, is first Best Buy  now supporting CurrectC.  They shut down the NFC terminals a while ago.  They were clearly in the CurrectC camp.  Now they've done a 180.   ApplePay support in their App NOW and Apple Pay support in stores later.  That's a big Win.  I think Target will follow.  I believe they've always supported Apple Pay in their App, so I think they'll also soon announce support in their Stores.   With the CEO switch, that can't be good for a launch of CurrentC soon.   I think the writing is on the wall already and CurrectC is already done for.   I think many CurrectC supporters will be jumping ship in the weeks to come.

I do wish already that Apple would at least get Apple Pay support going already in a few other country's like say Canada where I hear NFC is in like 90% of their businesses.  That should have been going by now.   Apple doesn't have to wait until they get 100% every bank in the U.S. ready.  To get Apple Pay really going, you need to get more people using it.    U.S. Only for 6+ months?  I mean come on!!!

• Reply 5 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK now can it please come to my local grocery store and Target?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    And the Avalanche continues.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    No Ally Bank %uD83D%uDE13

Some "supported" merchants have spotty implementation.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

It’s gonna be awhile before I can leave my credits cards at home. This whole thing is sputtering around with multiple schemes being marketed. Meanwhile Home Depot has turned off ?Pay (which was never officially supported by them but did work) and recommends using PayPal’s mobile app. Then Home Depot does an about face and says ?Pay will be officially supported soon, whatever that means. CurrentC will muddy the waters when that debacle launches, if it launches that is. Samsung Pay... WTF? Google Wallet and whatever they’re calling their latest abortion. Point of sale clerks who have no clue what’s going on standing there with a stupid look on their faces. 

I’d give it another two or three years to settle down. Meanwhile the bad guys are furiously concocting methods to compromise whatever system is in place.

• Reply 9 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Funny, I used Apple Pay at Home Depot the other day. worked perfectly.

• Reply 10 of 12
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I do wish already that Apple would at least get Apple Pay support going already in a few other country's like say Canada where I hear NFC is in like 90% of their businesses.  That should have been going by now.   Apple doesn't have to wait until they get 100% every bank in the U.S. ready.  To get Apple Pay really going, you need to get more people using it.    U.S. Only for 6+ months?  I mean come on!!!

totally, in Australia it would work pretty much everywhere from the biggest stores down to the local family corner store. the only time it doesn't is if the place still has an old reader, which you do find here and there with the little guys.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

totally, in Australia it would work pretty much everywhere from the biggest stores down to the local family corner store. the only time it doesn't is if the place still has an old reader, which you do find here and there with the little guys.

You're also right about that from what I've heard in the past.  I just brought up Canada because they're right next to the U.S. and a lot is shared between the 2 countries.  I would think Canada would be supported a lot sooner then it has.  There's a number of countries that NFC is huge in, and Canada, and yes Australia are a couple of them.  Apple Pay could be used far more, by fewer people.

• Reply 12 of 12
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

Yes, the banks are critical. Also more important than signing up retailers is expanding the customer base by ensuring that all new iPhones directly support Apple Pay (without assistance from an Apple Watch). I expect that by the end of 2015 Apple will not be selling any iPhone models that don't support Apple Pay.