Apple details new 'AppleBot' web crawler used by Siri and Spotlight

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So you are saying Search was created by Google as an altruistic project for fun? Surely they has a business plan from the get-go as they did with YouTube etc.

Google was created as a research project when Larry and Sergey were at Stanford together. They actually tried to sell it to Excite (for $750,000) and only decided to make a real go of it when Excite didn't want them.  

• Reply 42 of 82
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

If this loses money for the Mountain View Ad Company, I'm all for it.

• Reply 43 of 82
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MathieuLLF View Post

...Google for now just has the best working solution. 

For search, yes, this is regrettably true. To put it another way, we really don't have a choice.

• Reply 44 of 82
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

...There's absolutely nothing wrong with Google. 

LMAO. I first thought "he forgot an ¡ or /s to mark as sarcasm".

I then read on and finally realized he is either very uniformed, off his meds (again) or possibly is a Google troll.

Nobody has to argue about Google's "Do No Evil" motto because it became clear years ago that it was nothing more than one of their inside jokes (similar the the Easter Eggs they leave on holidays.

• Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:

...Why's that? Google makes an amazing search engine among other products. 

I tried using Duck Duck Go but it sucks for anything local. Google just provides me with the best search results for my purposes.

Actually Google is an advertising company that happens to have a pretty damn good search engine that you can use while reading the ads or giving them more and more data about you (read raping your privacy rights).

• Reply 46 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    LMAO. I first thought "he forgot an ¡ or /s to mark as sarcasm".

I also first wanted to laugh, but quickly realised this is actually quite sad.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    slprescott wrote: »
    Sounds like the early days of Apple Maps: an in-house capability ramping up to reduce Apple's dependency on Google.

Does Google have any legal control over the use of "Googlebot instructions"? I.e., is Apple allowed to have its own search technology use them, or does Google have any control over this? For example, do Googlebot instructions follow a particular syntax that Google may have protected as intellectual property?

The PageRank patents expired either last year or this year. Besides, other search engines exist so Google doesn't have a monopoly.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

...No corporation is perfect, neither is Apple....

From someone who often over explains and rambles a bit much, you had Apple included with the "No corporation" clause. You could have left out neither is Apple or said No corporation is perfect, including Apple.

Not meaning to nitpik,

Cheers.

• Reply 49 of 82
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

There are alternatives and people aren't using them. Google for now just has the best working solution. 

Google's is the Limburger cheese of search engines.

I switched to DuckDuckGo (maligned earlier in the thread) over two years ago on the desktop, and haven't found it coming up short in any way.  Not even locally.

• Reply 50 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    MathieuLLF wrote: »
    No corporation is perfect, neither is Apple.  

Google has obviously made some missteps but no more or less than any other in their position. 

The misstep Google made was to not tell people what they were really doing. They claimed until it was uncovered that search results were based on relevance and most popular sites, when in reality they show you the ones that pay the most even if the information they are sharing is not very relevant. Yes they have the suggest as you type or spell correct as you type, these helpfully things are really tools to allow them to push you to sites they want you to see first.

I personally have moved away from google since I was tired of doing searches and have google not directing to the correct information. I know what I am looking for and what is the correct information so I know when I being directed to wrong information. Not to say other websites are not better, but they do show other information which Google seem unable to find. I also have gone back to the old search methods of + and - and "" around words to get away from paid for information.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They are perfect and anyone who questions anything they do is a stupid head.

Have you read these forums? This is what everything has become.

• Reply 52 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Google. 

What troll turnip truck did you fall off of? Your posting history is... interesting.

• Reply 53 of 82
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Of course you would find Apple's services are too slow, and Apple's maps are a "disaster", all in comparison to your beloved Google.

But Apple is building out its services very rapidly, and frankly, you seem nervous and defensive about this; why else would you be here?

Whether it is camera lenses, and imaging, or speech or IoT, Apple is building out its ecosystem, and replacing third party services and hardware with its own technology, so it is much less dependent on the whims of others.

Google should be very nervous when a company of Apple's size begins to spend its profits for the benefit of its customers, and even more so when Microsoft begins to open up.

I'm not sure there's been an official agreement, but I personally think Apple and Microsoft are working in concert to crush Googs.

Which would make me smile.

• Reply 54 of 82
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Sounds like the early days of Apple Maps: an in-house capability ramping up to reduce Apple's dependency on Google.

Does Google have any legal control over the use of "Googlebot instructions"? I.e., is Apple allowed to have its own search technology use them, or does Google have any control over this? For example, do Googlebot instructions follow a particular syntax that Google may have protected as intellectual property?

It's not about control, it's about limiting access through an honor system. A web developer can add a 'robots.txt' file to any directory that is filled with instructions that basically tells these 'bots' what they can and can't do. Web crawlers are supposed to honor any settings in this file. Some web crawlers define their own instructions. Any other web crawler can also look for and abide by those rules - which is what Apple is saying their crawler does - they recognize any Google-made instructions and honor the rules set up by the developer/administrator.

I've developed a couple of sites where the owner didn't want the site "on the Internet" - they didn't want their site to show up in any search results so I created this robots.txt file...

User-Agent: *

Disallow: /

This basically tells all ( * ) robots/crawlers they are not allowed to traverse through the root ( / ) level of the site, which bars them from the entire site.

On top of that there are HTML meta tags for robots specific to that page.

• Reply 56 of 82
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Google's is the Limburger cheese of search engines.

I switched to DuckDuckGo (maligned earlier in the thread) over two years ago on the desktop, and haven't found it coming up short in any way.  Not even locally.

I switched to DuckDuckGo and back to Google several years ago. Then I switched yet again back to DuckDuckGo late last year.

It's good enough for general use now. Haven't found the need to redo the search in another engine.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

I switched to DuckDuckGo and back to Google several years ago. Then I switched yet again back to DuckDuckGo late last year.

It's good enough for general use now. Haven't found the need to redo the search in another engine.

I switched to DuckDuckGo a few years ago. The only time I ever use Google, is when I need to search for part numbers - Google has been around so long their results for obscure terms are much more exhaustive.

• Reply 58 of 82
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    I switched to DuckDuckGo a few years ago. The only time I ever use Google, is when I need to search for part numbers - Google has been around so long their results for obscure terms are much more exhaustive.

Am I the only one who switched to Bing? I searched for "Beyoncé the met ball" and the result I got was more accurate than Google. ;)
  • Reply 59 of 82
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I'm glad Google finally has a search engine bot because Apple needs competition. /s
  • Reply 60 of 82
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member
    MathieuLLF wrote: »
    There are alternatives and people aren't using them. Google for now just has the best working solution. 
    There is also nothing like walter's blue meth if you are a little down. Best working solution, too.