Upcoming Powerbook update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

the iBM 60GB is available today so apple could easily bump the books to 30, 48, 60BTO

price permitting of course

</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, didn't know it was.

Still, even so, 100GB are pretty optimistic.

[quote]<strong>

the radeon mobility certainly is not outdated but the powerbook is a "leader" or at least suppose to be in the notebook market. plus its pin compatible so an upgrade to a radeon 7500 would seem very likely and a welcome addition in a month or 2</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, I definitely wouldn't object either.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 42 of 103
    I'm just curious... Is this date of March for a new PowerBook update pure speculation or is there something behind it?

Also, when considering Apple products, specifically the PowerBook, does everyone here think that Apple really considers the price all that much? I mean this is a high end laptop. I don't suppose they care if their PowerBook borders on the $3000-$4000 range. After all, there is no PC laptop equivalent that is 1 inch thin. And after owning a PC laptop (or should i say craptop, after all it was a Sager!) I find that to be a significant benefit of the PowerBook.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    Errrrrrmmmmmm

You're a sharp-eyed bunch, aren't you?

I imagine 1600*whatever would do seriously bad things for the more myopic of us.

There's another two disadvantages of higher native resolution I can think of: worse overall video performance until you shove a more expensive chipset in, and an exponential increase in cost due to more failed screens.

I dunno how it affects power consumption.

Thing is, how many other applicances use the same widescreen as the TiBook? Dell et al can bulk-buy high resolution square aspect screens without too much trouble, I'd wager; the more esoteric Apple choice and the yet-more-esoteric Apple margins are a bit prohibitive in this context.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Guitarbloke:

<strong>I dunno how it affects power consumption.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure that the screen's physical size affects power consumption a lot more than the screen's resolution. IIRC, an LCD's main power draw is the backlight, which has nothing to do with resolution.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    Anyone who uses the following products will apreciate higher resolutions:

Photoshop

Illustrator

Premiere/aftereffects

Dreamweaver

Ultradev/InterDev

Flash

Director

I use these and usually 4 to 6 at a time, each with their own set of half a dozen window tools. It get's crowded very quickly..
  • Reply 46 of 103
    Nvidia has supposed to have released some sort of GeForce 4 card for laptops that should be available to oem configurers RIGHT NOW! Nvidia's website says that some toshiba satellite notebook has a 32meg version of the card installed and available. Think this could end up in the Powerbook revision? Think it could end up on the streets soon for powerbook owners to upgrade to?
  • Reply 47 of 103
    Ideal resolution for PowerBook:

1536 x 1024.

Not too small, but still displaying great amount of pixels.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    I don't understand the objection to offering higher screen resolutions. By offering 1600 X Whatever, Apple is not forcing you to use it. You could still select the current resolution if you so choose.

As was mentioned earlier, using Illustrator, Photoshop and Director is a real hassle with the current resolution, not to mention OS X.

And either of those GPUs would be sweeeet.

- Pook
  • Reply 49 of 103
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Yup. As much as it hurts my eyes, and it really, really does, some folks do like that ultra-high resolution. Go figure. I say give it to them. And I surely could use it for Logic Audio, if only for short bursts.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>I don't understand the objection to offering higher screen resolutions. By offering 1600 X Whatever, Apple is not forcing you to use it. You could still select the current resolution if you so choose.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is not correct because it would not be the native resolution and if you have seen an LCD running at other resolutions you would know just how bad it looks. LCDs do not work the same way that CRTs do when it comes to switching resolutions. It is not a pretty sight.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    well, penis.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    If an LCD has a high enogh pixel density then you won't notice much anti-aliasing when you reduce the resolution. I've tried it on my wifes Dell 14.1" 1400x1080 (drool) @ 1280x1024 and 1024x768 and it's fine.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    Here's an interesting article:

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/07.trans.php"; target="_blank">MacCentral</a>

I don't know too much about Hard Drives, but is this a possible inclusion in the next TiBook upgrade? (hopefully in Tokyo!! )

rr.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    [quote]Originally posted by neovirusnine:

<strong>Nvidia has supposed to have released some sort of GeForce 4 card for laptops that should be available to oem configurers RIGHT NOW! Nvidia's website says that some toshiba satellite notebook has a 32meg version of the card installed and available. Think this could end up in the Powerbook revision? Think it could end up on the streets soon for powerbook owners to upgrade to?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, here is a link: [EDIT: can't get link to work... toooo long. go to toshiba.com look for the Satellite 5000.]

Toshiba Satellite 5000

$1999 gets you:

1.1Ghz PIII

512MB

40GB

NVIDIA GeForce4 Go (32MB)

15" LCD @ 1600x1200

DVD/CD-RW

Built in Harmon/Kardon Speakers and Sub

Firewire

XPee Home

This is what Apple needs to do with the next PowerBook (except, do 1600x1024? to preserve the current aspect ratio).

I think the main reason for not going with the GeForce2Go in the current powerbook is battery life. That GPU was a hog. The GeForce4Go scales back when not needed, to extend battery life.

Blizaine

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>
  • Reply 55 of 103
    The next revision of the PB G4 will only have higher CPU (600 and 850 MHz) and graphics card (NVIDIA). That's it!

A new system would be too much for Apple. Too soon for a new G4 PB.

There is no hope for a higher resolution display as of now because Samsung and LG/Philips have not put forward new OEM products or their specs out there. The only hope for higher resolution displays is for the 14" iBook (son of pismo).
  • Reply 56 of 103
    It's most likely that the new Powerbooks will have 1 of the following pairs of clockspeeds:

600 and 733

667 and 800

733 and 867

My money's on 667 and 800, but that's just me.

There is no reason that the current GPU wouldn't be able to do 1536 x 1024. A 32 MB chip would be even better.

-Rupert
  • Reply 57 of 103
    ok, i just hope all this comes out by MacWorld Tokyo. Hopefully I can get a low end for 2299 w/667 G4 and GeForce4 Go. That's the hope at least. I'm still gonna maintain that anything over 1400 pixels horizontally would make things to small, but I dunno, maybe.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    At this time apple loves to make 800mhz g4's, so i think that will be able for the powermac
  • Reply 59 of 103
    hello, just a couple of points:

first, as said, dell inspirons 8100 can have the radion 7500 with 64 megs of video ram if you pick the uvga screen. (it'll cost 100$ more than the geforce 2, and the uvga sceen is $100 more than the sxga screen)

also, toshiba has just release a laptop (satalite 5005) with a geforce go 4. in theory, it should use less power than an ati card (it is made with a .15 micron process). the notebook has a 1600x1200 screen and costs $2000. (and i personally think it looks pretty cool too)

Ted

Edit: ug, other people beat me to the punch...

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Detnap ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 103
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    While I don't mind the current resolution as much as some, a higher one would be a nice option.

I too have seen a Compaq laptop that does different resolutions and they all appear fine.

My question is whether it's the LCD screen or is it the video card that's the problem. Or both?