Apple Watch, HealthKit star in Louisiana hypertension treatment program

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Patients at one Louisiana healthcare provider are combining two of Apple's newest technologies, HealthKit and the pulse-sensing Apple Watch, to enhance monitoring and treatment of hypertension.

Via the Times-Picayune

Ochsner Health System currently has three participants in the trial program, according to the Times-Picayune. Each patient is given an Apple Watch at no cost -- though they are required to purchase a wireless blood pressure cuff -- along with training on the use of HealthKit and various fitness apps.

Data from HealthKit can be sent directly to Ochsner's electronic medical record system. This helps with accuracy and allows physicians to diagnose potential issues sooner, notes Dr. Richard Milani.

"We're only getting couple of readings a year on you," Milani told the paper. "We could probably do better if we get more information, and we can course-correct faster. People who do take their (blood pressure) readings will say 'I forgot them at home.' This keeps track of it for you."

The group hopes to expand the trial to a total of 30 participants.

In recent months, Apple has worked to become more deeply involved in medical research and treatment. Along with HealthKit, the company also announced ResearchKit, a framework that allows hospitals to more efficiently recruit participants for and administer clinical trials.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Careful. Governor Jindal might accuse the participants of 'witchery.'

• Reply 2 of 11
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

None of this matters if you're still gonna reach for those Doritos. 

Treatment and measuring/monitoring are fine, but I fear we've become treatment-obsessed rather than prevention-smart.

• Reply 3 of 11
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    applezilla wrote: »

no doubt. this guy is such a fraud -- he studied biology and medicine, was accepted into harvard medicine...but here he is writing about spirits and exorcisms:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/08/gov_bobby_jindals_writing_on_e.html

...what a nut.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

In the previous article, we learned to our amazement, how the ?Watch was able to analyze people's DNA and alert them to potential defects - if you add the simple DNA  sequencing lab accessory. Now we learn the ?Watch can help people measure their blood pressure, with the addition of a blood pressure monitoring accessory.

In the next article, we will learn how the ?Watch is transforming medicine by doing MRI scans - when you add a simple MRI scanner accessory.  But that's not all this amazing watch can do, no this is just the start.  With the soon to be released Fully Equipped Surgical Theatre accessory, the ?Watch will be helping people who need open heart surgery.

• Reply 5 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ not satisfied until we get the human cloning and teleportation accessory. Until then Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The apple watch speaks to a bad decision to chase something that few people really need (or want). Apple stores, with their new 'watch displays' look like second rate jewelry boutiques.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

nolamacguy wrote: »

no doubt. this guy is such a fraud -- he studied biology and medicine, was accepted into harvard medicine...but here he is writing about spirits and exorcisms:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/08/gov_bobby_jindals_writing_on_e.html

...what a nut.

I am most certainly not a fan of Jindal, but in all fairness, he's the one that admonished the Republicans for being the 'stupid party' on matters scientific.

Add: The link was a bit of a hit piece. It's about some stuff he wrote while still in college that he admits was 'goofy.' I don't think it wa terribly newsworthy or fair.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    I am most certainly not a fan of Jindal, but in all fairness, he's the one that admonished the Republicans for being the 'stupid party' on matters scientific.

As a Louisiana resident, that was one of the most unintentionally ironic statements I've ever heard. The man is the poster boy for the anti-science religious right. I knew I would never vote for him after hearing his answer on a creation science question in 2007, before he was elected for his first term as governor. And for someone with so much Ivy League education, Piyush is very content at watching the LSU system approach insolvency.

• Reply 9 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    jonl wrote: »
    As a Louisiana resident, that was one of the most unintentionally ironic statements I've ever heard. The man is the poster boy for the anti-science religious right. I knew I would never vote for him after hearing his answer on a creation science question in 2007, before he was elected for his first term as governor. And for someone with so much Ivy League education, Piyush is very content at watching the LSU system approach insolvency.
    Ochsners Health Services is one of the finest healthcare providers in America. As a Louisiana native and resident, I am proud of it and its groundbreaking work with the Apple Watch. As for our Governor, Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is probably the most cynical politician in the country today. Given Jindal's background and education, it is impossible to conceive of a scenario in which Jindal actually believes any of the nonsense that he says. However, he pioneered much of the nonsense and has demonstrated that he is willing to take our beautiful State down the tubes lest some rube in Iowa or South Carolina vote against him in a Presidential caucus or primary.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cnocbui wrote: »
    In the previous article, we learned to our amazement, how the ?Watch was able to analyze people's DNA and alert them to potential defects - if you add the simple DNA  sequencing lab accessory. Now we learn the ?Watch can help people measure their blood pressure, with the addition of a blood pressure monitoring accessory.

In the next article, we will learn how the ?Watch is transforming medicine by doing MRI scans - when you add a simple MRI scanner accessory.  But that's not all this amazing watch can do, no this is just the start.  With the soon to be released Fully Equipped Surgical Theatre accessory, the ?Watch will be helping people who need open heart surgery.

try harder, dude -- was expecting much more than this feeble attempt.

i have one of the blood pressure monitors, theyre small and nifty, and work over bluetooth. no complaints. also have BT headphones.
  • Reply 11 of 11

Add: The link was a bit of a hit piece. It's about some stuff he wrote while still in college that he admits was 'goofy.' I don't think it wa terribly newsworthy or fair.

he's my governor and he's earned the criticism. he's cutting the higher education budgets which forces our young adults to study out of state (and not return), while at the same time holds prayer rallies. hes no proponent of science in our state as far as i can tell.

as this point Jindal's only purpose is to raise his brand awareness in order to move on to bigger & better political appointments -- despite leaving our state in a poorer state than when he found it, having chewed thru our budget surplus under the former gov, leaving us in deficit and a decreased credit rating. go team prayer!