Elon Musk welcomes rumored 'Apple Car,' reveals Tesla-to-Apple poaching at about 5:1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Men like Musk can't be anywhere else but on top.

Naughty, naughty! ????

If this car rumour is true it'll be amusing to see Apple's selling point.

2007: Why aren't you staring at this incredible touch-screen?
    2010: Why aren't you staring at this incredibly larger screen?
    2015: Why aren't you staring at this incredibly smaller screen?
    2020: Why aren't you staring at this incredible heads-up display?
  • Reply 22 of 169
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cash907 wrote: »
    How many boards did Jobs sit on? Kind of a silly statement don't you think?

I think you missed his point about Musk's 'point'.

????
  • Reply 23 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Go on Tim, buy Tesla and SpaceX and put Elon on the board in some powerful position. :)

That isn't his goal. As far as I can tell, every decision he makes is aimed toward Mars.
  • Reply 24 of 169
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Tesla is DOOMED.

:D

• Reply 25 of 169
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    Guys I think a lot of people don't get this. It's a very bad move if Apple makes a move in the car making industry. Apple has no experience what so ever in this industry. They should stick to what they do best consumer electronics. Many people here will say they have the money too do it, we'll to that I answer that even if you throw all the money you want at it, if you have no experience you won't succeed. Microsoft if living proof that throwing money into things you have no knowledge of is bad. Apple should stick to its core and instead partner with someone in the industry and help them with the user experience design. Anyways that's just my opinion.
  • Reply 26 of 169
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

Guys I think a lot of people don't get this. It's a very bad move if Apple makes a move in the car making industry. Apple has no experience what so ever in this industry. They should stick to what they do best consumer electronics. Many people here will say they have the money too do it, we'll to that I answer that even if you throw all the money you want at it, if you have no experience you won't succeed. Microsoft if living proof that throwing money into things you have no knowledge of is bad. Apple should stick to its core and instead partner with someone in the industry and help them with the user experience design. Anyways that's just my opinion.

Well, it's my opinion is that your opinion stinks.

Did Apple have experience in the mobile telephone industry? Nope. Look where the Apple iPhone 6/6+ are now.

Experience is highly overrated. Look what "experience" did and is still doing for Detroit! Ghost town. American made IC engine cars suck. The old dealership business model is stacking up un-sold cars all over the planet.

But now there's a new American car company, Tesla, that doesn't suck. Its cars are awesome and are selling as fast as they can be made.

I think all your glorious experience can remain where it belongs, in the irrelevant past.

I don't see why an Apple acquisition of Tesla wouldn't make sense. Their products are already very nice. But I think Sir Jony could add those magical touches inside and out which could make electric cars really shine, and consequently put the US back in the automotive business, and all the while materially effect a significant slow-down of global pollution.

• Reply 27 of 169
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    pogo007 wrote: »

This feels like 2005, and someone supporting the ROKR deal...

A car is quickly becoming a consumer electronic. As has been noted, current cars feel a lot like pre-iPhone smartphones. This is truly skating to where the puck is going.
  • Reply 28 of 169
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tesla is DOOMED.

:D

Careful, you may be violating an Apple trademark with such talk.

• Reply 29 of 169
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

They're being a little harsh on you there. I think you have a point when it comes to the idea of Apple buying Tesla, which would be a nightmare of legacy engineering and design inertia.

But you don't have a point if you think of the plain fact that Tesla pulled it off and came up with an interesting and maybe successful car while having no experience at all either. Apple could do so as well. As someone said above, cars are now consumer electronics. The ones in trouble are those who can't stop thinking in terms of fire-breathing big iron wasteful ego amplifiers, the traditional Detroit model.

It was very telling that the first American hybrids were put in Tahoe and Escalade platforms. Totally corrupt. Apple could beat that sort of thinking easily, just like the Japanese have been doing for 40 years.
  • Reply 30 of 169
    robertwalterrobertwalter Posts: 276member
    With a 5:1 poaching ratio, Tesla should be profitable any day now, any day now, yessiree... These statements from Mr. Musk display a finely tuned skill toward misdirection (away from continued losses.)
  • Reply 31 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Musk has said his goal with Tesla is to accelerate the advent of electric transport. He wouldn't be against selling it provided there was some guarantee that that would still happen. i.e. that the patents would stay open and that the 3rd generation mass market car would be produced.

• Reply 32 of 169
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That isn't his goal. As far as I can tell, every decision he makes is aimed toward Mars.

OK, make Elon a long distance Apple board member then ... ;)
  • Reply 33 of 169
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

This is such an parody of pre iPhone comments from so many in the phone industry I was convinced you were being humorous there for a while there. :D
  • Reply 34 of 169
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marc Newson gave an interview with the Evening Standard. He was asked about Apple and cars and said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/marc-newson-the-new-guy-behind-the-apple-watch-10229835.html

[QUOTE]‘There is certainly vast opportunity in that area to be more intelligent.’[/QUOTE]

He also said he spends 60% of his time at Apple working on "special projects". I'm guessing those special projects have nothing to do with iPhones or Macs.
  • Reply 35 of 169
    You really have to read this article a lot of times, with a particular slant in mind, to characterize Musk's comments as "defensive!"

BTW, I'm willing to be "poached for half what the other people are getting!
  • Reply 36 of 169
    Except for making electronic accessories, Apple should not be in the car business. Look at Google. They've got their hands in a lot of things, and they do most of those things poorly. I don't want to see Apple be like Google.
  • Reply 37 of 169
    tekmtekm Posts: 14member

Meanwhile, Tesla just posted 142 million loss for the quarter... to go along with their near half a billion loss for 2014.  That's why their name and logo are always in 'red'.

• Reply 38 of 169
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

"They should stick to what they do best consumer electronics." No one would have said that 10 years ago. So fast forward 10 years from now and we'll all be saying "They should stick to what they do best, cars".

• Reply 39 of 169
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One Apple employee rumored to be working on this car project recently updated his LinkedIn profile. It now references a "future Apple product line".

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10250168&authType=name&authToken=vXbm&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-name&_mSplash=1

Neil Cybart at Above Avalon also thinks Apple is working on something big based on the big quarterly increases in R&D spending.

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2015/5/3/significant-rd-increase-suggests-apple-is-working-on-something-big

?format=1000w

I don't really see that.  I see Apple's R&D spending the same percentage as always, but because Apple is making more money, that percentage for R&D goes up.  It's what, 3% or something.  It was only a few years ago where people were saying Apple wasn't spending enough on R&D.  So if it was 3% in 2005, and 3% NOW, well Apple would be spending a lot more on R&D.  Especially with how much money they're now making.  

• Reply 40 of 169
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Isaacks View Post

Except for making electronic accessories, Apple should not be in the car business. Look at Google. They've got their hands in a lot of things, and they do most of those things poorly. I don't want to see Apple be like Google.

Except Google announces products not ready to be sold yet, or Sells $1500 Beta products and then pulls it from the market screwing their users!!!  Apple doesn't announce anything until it's actually ready to be sold shortly for REAL.   The Nexus Q and Google Glass a saw failing right away for a number of reasons.  IF Apple releases a car at some point, it'll be a product ready to sell.  Hiding a large Car, or a bunch of large cars at that point will be kind of hard to keep hidden though.