Which is better - CRT or LCD?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Given equal prices and good quality on both a CRT and an LCD monitor, which one do you think would be better or have a better value? I know people always talk about LCDs being better, but I have one and, although it's sharp, it's not nearly as bright or contrasty as the CRTs I've used. Are there any major drawbacks to CRTs? How long will they last before they die? How good is a good quality one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    CRT- More resolutions, better screen control, and more reliable. (I rarely use apple monitors, but have had bad "dead pixel" problems)

[quote]Are there any major drawbacks to CRTs?<hr></blockquote>

Radiation. :eek:

[quote]How good is a good quality one?<hr></blockquote>

Pretty darn good. 1900x1800+ resolutions, Bright color, etc.

[quote]How long will they last before they die?<hr></blockquote>I've only had 2 die on all 14 of my computers. Both (and allmy) Apple CRT's.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I run a pair of Silicon Graphics 1600SW LCD Panels. They both operate at 1600x1024. They're brighter and sharper than the CRTs I have used in the past, and their pixel response rate is still one of the fastest among LCDs today (pixels can refresh on this beast 60 times a second -- I've never seen any ghosting).

Advantages? Lower total cost of ownership over time I would imagine. An LCD is never going to blur, and after about five years of use, the backlight will eventually burn out, however, that's not a terribly expensive part to replace, and is certainly cheaper than buying a new panel entirely. They draw less power, take up less desk space, no refresh rate makes it better on your eyes, etceteras.

But you get what you pay for. If you go spend $300 on a 15" LCD, you're probably not going to be happy with it in comparison to a CRT for the same price. The SGI 1600SW can be found on ebay for around a thousand dollars, and as I said, it's still one of the best performing high-end panels out there. It's physical screen size is 17.3". I'll never buy another CRT...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i've never used a high-end crt, so maybe that is where my problem stems from...but:

i don't really understand the fuss of lcd displays--people have been in love with them since they dubeted many years ago for like $10k. i guess my crt takes up more space on my desk, but i don't really value the behind monitor space anways...my 17" clear apple adc crt is bright with good contrast and overall i love it...it looks better than any lcd i have seen, and i only paid $200 for it. so overall, i'm not sure what all the fuss is about over lcds.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>i don't really understand the fuss of lcd displays</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sit in front of a CRT monitor for eight hours then do the same with a LCD monitor. And where can you get a wide screen CRT monitor? That's right, you can't. The only downfall to LCD monitors is price.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by PooPooDoctor:

<strong>

Sit in front of a CRT monitor for eight hours then do the same with a LCD monitor. And where can you get a wide screen CRT monitor? That's right, you can't. The only downfall to LCD monitors is price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i guess, but they aren't just a little more, they are 3-5 times as much. i sit in front of a crt all day, and i guess the eye strain thing has some validity. maybe i'd be more impressed working with a 17" + lcd. the only one i worked on at all is on the new imac and it is small...well, the resolution is small (or big, whatever), so i have little interest in it.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: progmac ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by PooPooDoctor:

<strong>

Sit in front of a CRT monitor for eight hours then do the same with a LCD monitor. And where can you get a wide screen CRT monitor? That's right, you can't. The only downfall to LCD monitors is price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But what's your refresh rate? 60 or 120Hz?

Who needs widescreen when you have 22". A standard 22" screen gives you more pixels.

But, I want to dump all my screens, and use a true HDTV projector. Wonderful 150"-350" screen. Only $23,000.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ebby:

<strong>

But what's your refresh rate? 60 or 120Hz?

Who needs widescreen when you have 22". A standard 22" screen gives you more pixels.

But, I want to dump all my screens, and use a true HDTV projector. Wonderful 150"-350" screen. Only $23,000.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure, if you have a 4 foot deep desk to go with that TV, er... Monitor. Well, we all have our own preferences. And that's a good thing.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]And where can you get a wide screen CRT monitor? That's right, you can't. <hr></blockquote>

Wrong.

<a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?itemid=6971&hierc=9683x76x9704&catid="; target="_blank">24" 2304 x 1440 goodness</a>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    The only LCD I've used extensively is the iMac's, and I'm not impressed. The picture is washed out, there is very bad ghosting, and of course one is locked into a resolution that isn't high enough for my taste.

In contrast, my 19" Trinitron CRT gives a better picture, no ghosting, better colors, and is CHEAP. The only drawbacks are that it generates lots of heat, and that it's big. But since I don't move it around often, the size doesn't matter to me. I also have a large desk so that's fine as well.

Given the choice, I would buy a CRT over an LCD any day. The picture is simply better IMO, and I'm not willing to pay $1200 on an LCD when I can get a CRT with more viewable area for $300.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    A quality CRT will beat out a quality LCD for just about everything. I personally use a Samsung 17" LCD and it's excellent, only downfall I've seen with it is that sometimes watching a DVD, in very dark scenes it doesn't do the best of jobs. LCDs do have a lot of upside, including less desk space, heat, power consumption, etc. But the initial price is a bit to pay, especially when a good 17" LCD costs $700-$800, while a really good 19" CRT would be around $300-$400 (Not sure on this, haven't looked at CRT prices in a while). Better value is dependent on your needs and how much $ you have to spend.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    LCT
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>LCT</strong><hr></blockquote>

never heard of that one. something to do with lawrence taylor?