The Absolute Coolest Computer Desk Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay guys,

This should be fun. Let's track down the absolute coolest home computer desks that are currently available for purchase. This isn't the same thread as "show your computer setup" (a fun thread btw). This is for people who are currently shopping for computer furniture worthy of a Mac, or dreaming of what they'd like to have if they could get a new desk. From high-tech to traditional, what 's your top pick?

What are the features you appreciate about this desk and what are the features that you wish the manufacturer would have included?

Let me start.

This is a desk that we found while shopping for a small workstation for my Mom. She'd like to get something that's about 36" wide by 24" deep...basically a tiny but well-made workstation. So far it's remained the best solution for her space needs. Let me know if you know who makes this thing, or if you've seen something better in the same styistic vein.

I personally use a big black Anthrocart (www.anthro.com) unit, but if I was buying again I might go for something a bit more stylish. There are some really nice contemporary units in frosted glass, and there are some more traditional furniture setups that have begun incorporating some clever functions.

The hidden drawer shelf has become fairly standard. If you haven't seen it, there's a special drawer where the pencil drawer would traditionally be located. When you tug at the handles the drawer front tilts down. You then pull out the drawer and PRESTO! a keyboard. Some of these now feature a fold-out copy-holder.

Lots of these desks feature space for a tower, a built-in power supply, CD racks, cable feeds and printer shelves.

I look forward to seeing what you folks come up with!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There are some pretty nice desks I've seen, but in most cases, "cool" desks seem tohave annoying drawbacks. Since I have a computer and often a bunch of electronics parts floating around doing something, a BIG desk is the coolest in my regard. So, go to staples and get a big, flat desk. That's the coolest for me.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    <a href="http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/SKU.asp?BCFlag=False&PageType=1&SKU=473068"; target="_blank">This is the desk i ordered</a> . it should be here tomorrow. i realize there could be a problem being that it is glass, but it really looks cool and i like it. i'll just keep the windex close at hand.

oh and I got <a href="http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/SKU.asp?BCFlag=False&PageType=1&SKU=473789"; target="_blank">this bookcase</a> to match it so i have a little storage area

if you guys are interested, i'll post a little later tomorrow to tell you how it works out
  • Reply 3 of 49
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, a big flat desk is nice.

And like I said, I use a BIG black Anthrocart. But I've also got it tricked out with speaker shelves, additional over/under shelves, a vertical phone holder, a side basket and a totally adjustable keyboard tray.

But I know that there are some truly innovative computer desks out there, and I'd like to see them.

D
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Here are the photos of Max's desk and bookshelf:

The Desk

The Bookshelf

Cool, I didn't know that the big office equipment chains had anything other than fake wood desks. I'm really curious about how that top shelf works with a big ole monitor on top, and how sturdy the thing is.

D
  • Reply 5 of 49
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    AnthroCart rules the house! I love Anthro almost as much as I love Apple (and Anthro is right here in town, which is a good thing because their carts & workstations are really, really heavy).
  • Reply 6 of 49
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Xidius... gotta love that desk! What's the base of the iMac made of, a half-basketball? "Bringing the new Infusion basketball... with a built-in pump, and now a built in computer! Just split in half and enjoy! &lt;/randomness&gt;
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Here's another interesting design

Looks like an IV stand for email doesn't it?

That cart came from a place called <a href="http://www.ergotron-ergonomics.com/computer_cart.htm"; target="_blank">Ergotron Ergonomics</a>

D
  • Reply 8 of 49
    This one's pretty neat too, and obviously it's aimed at the Mac user....

This one's at a place called <a href="http://www.imacdesk.com"; target="_blank">www.imacdesk.com</a>

This might appeal to some folks.

Hey, are the Anthrocarts cheaper if you drive over and pick them up yourself?

Is there a discount/clearance center?

D
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Okay, one more for tonight. This one is really fun, and looks really rugged. I'll call this one the SUV of computer furniture.

D

HEY, it's the same desk! Crap. Sorry, I didn't realize until I'd posted it. Well, now you've seen it from two sides. Happy?

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 49
    this thing is a bitch to put together....i'm still working on it.....i'll try to get it up and take a picture. to put it together, you got to use bolts and screws, but it doesn't seem too sturdy. you can move it back and forth . the bolts become loose and it moves.

we'll see how things work out one i got everything together

btw, i have a powerbook, so i can't see about the monitor stand, but i'll guesstimate fer ya
  • Reply 11 of 49
    all right, i put it together.....when you do it right, it's actually not hard and is very sturdy

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mrexrode/PhotoAlbum1.html"; target="_blank">here's a website</a> with pics of my new desk setup...it's actually pretty nice...
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Well you know I started this whole thread because I'd been helpig my Mom shop for a computer desk. The latest is that she's looking at what TARGET has to offer and seemingly wanting to settle for the particle-board furniture....a thousand NO's I scream!!!

This doesn't look bad, too bad she's so pressed for space!

D
  • Reply 13 of 49

I personally like this one.

I cheaped out and bought this one for my studio though

• Reply 14 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    My all time favorite Desk Setup

• Reply 15 of 49
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    i want the table/desk that the guy in the iBook tv ad had.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    The problem with all these is that they have no place to rest your feet!

My computer desk has another level below the main one, that I guess was intended for folders and such, but its a great place to prop my feet on.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by salmonstk:

<strong>i want the table/desk that the guy in the iBook tv ad had.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope you're not talking about "Middle Seat."
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Man, those are some heavy-duty rigs.

I seem to remember a desk called the metamorphosis, or something similar. It wasn't cheap, but it was really nice. I think that they used to advertsise in METROPOLIS magazine and perhaps in MACWORLD.

Something new that I've seen are things that are called computer cabinets, or something like that. They're a sort of armoire for computers. I've seen high-tech looking ones and some that look more antique. These are great solutions for people who'd like to hide the computer in something that DOESN'T look like a desk.

D
  • Reply 19 of 49
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Here is my desk..unavailable for sale..my dad made it

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: TOOL ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 49
    neye_eveneye_eve Posts: 34member
    y'all don't mind a PC-Weenie in here, do ya? Here's my setup:

you can see more if you like, including my imac, at:

<a href="http://www.sirlizzard.com/misc/"; target="_blank">http://www.sirlizzard.com/misc/</A>;

neye