Nike CEO 'excited about the potential' of Apple tie-up, promises more to come

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
The long-standing partnership between Nike and Apple has been beneficial for both companies, and Nike's chief executive hinted on Friday that additional projects were in the works even as Apple encroaches on Nike's territory.

"We're excited about the potential that the Apple-Nike relationship has," Nike CEO and President Mark Parker told CNBC. Parker touted the Nike+ Running app that works with the Apple Watch, calling it a "great experience."

Nike continues to develop new fitness apps and extend its current offerings to take advantage of wearable devices, despite shuttering its own wearable division. More than 60 million people use Nike's fitness apps, Parker said, though that number likely also includes Android users.

Wearables are "a really important part of our future, and really central to our brand," Parker added.

Apple's relationship with Nike dates back to at least 2006, when the two companies collaborated on Nike+iPod, one of the first popular connected fitness trackers. Apple chief Tim Cook sits on Nike's board of directors.

The Apple Watch and its associated Activity app represent a somewhat competitive step toward Nike from Apple, as it could remove the incentive for some users to jump onto the Nike+ platform.

Despite that shift, Parker says that consumers can expect "more from Apple and Nike, two great brands, lots of potential and opportunity, and that continues."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Flattering choice of photo. Not at all like a goat demon about to feast on a newborn.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    nagromme wrote: »
    Flattering choice of photo. Not at all like a goat demon about to feast on a newborn.

Post of the day
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And you're such a flatterer yourself! Like fantasy games?

• Reply 4 of 12
    I ask myself if the watch is just a transition product until she sors in our clothes etc are just normal, if it goes towards even this http://www.inquisitr.com/1803993/company-implants-microchips-in-employees-hands-enables-them-to-use-photocopier-and-pay-for-lunch/, or if the watch really undergoes a paradigm shift and will b replaced by things like the apple watch.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    He looks super unhealthy. Stress is a b!t€h on your body.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple does not spend $5 billion on R&D for a transition product.

I didn't mean that. I thought about it longer term, maybe ten years from now. And the R&D spending can well serve for whatever comes after the watch.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    50miles50miles Posts: 6member
    So the iPhone is also a transitional product

Yes, as was the iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    He looks super unhealthy. Stress is a b!t€h on your body.

He needs a sammich...somebody give him a sammich.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    50miles wrote: »
    So the iPhone is also a transitional product

Yes, as was the iPod.

Actually the "blue boxes" Steve and Woz made in Steve's dad's garage were the real transitional products...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Why do I need Nike+? Oh yeah... I don't.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    ". . .even as Apple encroaches on Nike's territory."
    New rumor:[B] Apple is going to start making shoes![/B] And you heard it here first!