Apple having the microsoft attitude?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm just thinking how pissed we all are with microsoft having a monopoly and doing all those dirty tricks to keep the monopoly.

Now apple with all the company and program buyouts isn't trying to make a monopoly?Cause that's what it seems to me...

I'm gonna be very happy if it kills all the windows version of the programs apple bought but I'm afraid that this isn't a way to attract people to a new platform.I think that they will only get people hating apple and not the opposite. Also how long will it be before some big lawyer sues apple for being a monopoly?

On the other hand I'm thinking: If you buy a company you can do whatever you like with it cause it's your own.

Well I don't know.Is there anybody who can enlighten us?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I'm not a lawyer, but I think one would be hard pressed to argue that Apple has a monopoly over anything. I think you have to have many more customers before you start getting into monoploy territory.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    phobosphobos Posts: 29member
    I don't mean right now.After apple discontinues the PC side of the programs
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    Apple can't have a monopoly, because they only have 3% of the market.

Jet
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    phobos you are falling into the same trap that everyone who doesn't think this through does(it seems)

The computer industry has ALWAYS been about Mergers and Acquisitions. During these M&A people lose their jobs and products are cancelled. This is par for the course.

Where Microsoft has come under fire is NOT competing with their Software Devs but integrating their own apps into the OS so as to make it difficult to remove without affecting the speed or reliability of the computer.

Apple has done nothing of this kind. You can remove ANY apple iApp with impunity.

Remember Monopolies are not illegal. The ABUSE of a Monopoly is. That's an important distinction.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    [quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>Apple can't have a monopoly, because they only have 3% of the market.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Technically, this is not true. One CAN argue that Apple has a monopoly over the Macintosh market. Now this sounds funny to say, for sure. Try this definition:

"It is the abuse of free commerce by which one or more individuals have procured the advantage of selling alone all of a particular kind of merchandise, to the detriment of the public.

All combinations among merchants to raise the price of merchandise to the injury of the public, is also said to be a monopoly.

A monopoly is also an institution or allowance by a grant from the sovereign power of a state, by commission, letters patent, or otherwise, to any person, or corporation, by which the exclusive right of buying, selling, making, working, or using anything, is given."

Nothing about market share per se.

Here's another...

<a href="http://www.carleton.ca/vpac/260799/img016.gif"; target="_blank">http://www.carleton.ca/vpac/260799/img016.gif</a>;

and still more on this:

"Depending on the definition of the market, yes, Apple is a monopoly. This is not the issue. As mentioned numerous times before, having the monopoly itself is not the crime. However, how a company handles that monopoly can be. Define the market as all personal computers, Apple and otherwise, and Apple easily no longer fits the monopoly definition. Why is Microsoft fighting the monopoly definition so strenuously, even though such a designation is not illegal? Because, it knows that companies defined as such are rightfully held to a higher standard of conduct and business ethics that Microsoft simply has not and cannot attain."
  • Reply 6 of 8
    And Sun's got a monopoly over the Solaris market, and Sgi over IRIX, and IBM over AIX, and HP/Compaq over OpenVMS, and Sony over the Playstatio2 and Nintendo over the Gamecube and on and on and on....
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    No one could possibly define Apple as a monopoly. There is zero case for this.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    My point was that it is NOT market share that defines a monopoly. It is control of a market. Then one must go about defining the market.