Apple challenges Google with growing Web search program, fueled by Topsy acquisition

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gtr wrote: »
    Quite frankly, because we're not willing to devote that amount of time to you.

Don't take this personally, but when I'm given the option of sitting down and watching a good movie with my significant other or trawling for hours through your posts in an attempt to prove a point that I believe that you are already well aware of then, sorry to say, I'm afraid you're going to lose out every time.

And then there's the little matter of that giving you exactly what you wanted in the first place: attention and the feeling of significance. I'm sorry, my friend, but the last thing we want to do is feed the troll.

If you want to carry on and be a jerk then that's up to you. But there's no point in bitching and moaning about it when you end up getting treated like a jerk because of it.

Get a life, Gatorguy, seriously, because right now on this site you're wasting yours.

Go focus on something that you LOVE.

That's quite a cop-out.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Trolls or otherwise, I think we're all better off sticking to tech-talk instead of the [I]he did - she did[/I] back and forth movement, jerk-ish if you will.

We all know trolls hardly ever get banned, yet people making valid claims, calling others out to stop 'doing that' often get kicked to the side. Not exactly following up on forum rules, but I guess it's another form of 'freedom of speech'.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    crowley wrote: »
    ^
    That's quite a long post for someone who doesn't care enough to devote any time to backing up their assertions. It seems that your time is only precious when you're being asked to do something productive.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    That's quite a cop-out.

Well, I find it curious that Gatorguy's biggest fans are also on my blocklist. Guess some minds just think too alike.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Well, I find it curious that Gatorguy's biggest fans are also on my blocklist. Guess some minds just think too alike.
    It would probably shock you who some of my friends here are. They include some of the staunchest Apple fans, but with a tolerance for other viewpoints.

Let's get back on topic shall we?
  • Reply 85 of 95
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I call 'em how I see 'em
  • Reply 86 of 95
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quite frankly, because we're not willing to devote that amount of time to you.

Don't take this personally, but when I'm given the option of sitting down and watching a good movie with my significant other or trawling for hours through your posts in an attempt to prove a point that I believe that you are already well aware of then, sorry to say, I'm afraid you're going to lose out every time.

And then there's the little matter of that giving you exactly what you wanted in the first place: attention and the feeling of significance. I'm sorry, my friend, but the last thing we want to do is feed the troll.

If you want to carry on and be a jerk then that's up to you. But there's no point in bitching and moaning about it when you end up getting treated like a jerk because of it.

Get a life, Gatorguy, seriously, because right now on this site you're wasting yours.

Go focus on something that you LOVE.

You know, it is entertaining to spar on controversial topics. If you don't want to spar, don't pick up a foil.

• Reply 87 of 95
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Your blocklist clearly isn't doing a very good job.

I share some few opinions with Gatorguy, but mainly he's a smart guy who expresses himself clearly and sensibly, and I can respect him even when I don't agree with him.  There are others on here whose opinions I am more aligned with, but find their style of getting their opinion across utterly odious, and I'll call them on it every time.   Snide suggestions of groupthink are pretty odious, as is the way many people try to bully anyone who doesn't kiss the ring of Apple's infallibility.

• Reply 88 of 95
    libdemlibdem Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

That very thing is like pouring a glass of ice water down the collective backs of Google's C-suits. That's what's behind all their goofy flailing around for an alternate source of corporate income.

Meanwhile, more of Google's search business from Apple's mobile customers is vanishing...

Irrelevant.Google ranking algorithm uses a lot of other algorithms beside PageRank.And they keep updating their algorithm .It's a play of cat and mouse between Google and SEOs.

So,as rightly pointed out by Gatorguy,if you are not competing with 2000's era Google,it is irrelevant.

• Reply 89 of 95
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Software and Services along with Excellent Hardware. That is what differentiates Apple with Other Companies. Also, lets be sure the software works very well (Photos, Maps, Siri, etc.). Apple must be worth more to the customer or I have to sell my stock..
  • Reply 90 of 95
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Good. Apple needs to get away from Google's services completely. The fewer opportunities Google has to datamine iOS users for ad revenue, the better. That's less money going into the pockets of Google. 

• Reply 91 of 95
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

They need to fix the Maps search first. It likes to find randomly named one-stoplight towns in the middle of the country when searching for something three blocks away. You have to search for stores with the exact right name, like "Costco Wholesale" or it gets confused.

Got to cal BS

First (from the bottom) pressed the home button and said "costco" siri game me a list of the closest Costco's clicking one brings me to maps with the locations pushpined. "drive to costco", gets me directly to turn by turn navigation (after picking from a list of the 3 closest Costco's)

Tried "Costco hours" Siri game me the same list and when I selected she gave me todays hours of business (and a map, and a link to yelp reviews) Clicking on the yelp link takes me to yelp clicking the maps takes me to maps app, with the location pushpin'ed

While its impossible to refute personal incidents (i.e. finding "randomly named one-stoplight towns in the middle of the country when searching for something three blocks away" ) it has rarely if ever happened to me. (unless the search criteria  was flawed) I find Apple's maps app generally more accurate (and far easier to use) than google maps (or map quest's offerings.) and have never (nor has anyone I have ever talked to) experienced locating random towns when closer targets exist (though I somehow suspect that you have a "demo" (most likely a singularity) all cooked up that demonstrates  it)

Point is maps works really, really well almost all the time (as does sari's interface to maps) and no amount of (questionable) naysaying changes that. You can't make something so by simply by stating it over and over (maps gate, antenna gate, bend gate, scratch gate, etc, etc...)

• Reply 92 of 95
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Apple should get into the search business, and compete with Bing and Google in my opinion. Competition should help all search engines improve quality and also stay competitive.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    When the courts accuse Apple of anti-competitive practices - same as MS bundling IE in Windows - Apple can happily point to the sham of payouts MS makes every year as proof such practices are profitable, and that intellectual property and design patents are also meaningless (see SS).

I would be really annoyed if I had to downgrade to Google search from Spotlight just because a bunch of conflicted-interests courts decided so. It's too bad the courts don't force MS or Goog to support open standards the way Apple does. We might even see those dinosaur companies evolve.

I wonder if we'll be able to port Spotlight to Windows... :D
  • Reply 94 of 95
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

When the courts accuse Apple of anti-competitive practices - same as MS bundling IE in Windows - Apple can happily point to the sham of payouts MS makes every year as proof such practices are profitable, and that intellectual property and design patents are also meaningless (see SS).

I would be really annoyed if I had to downgrade to Google search from Spotlight just because a bunch of conflicted-interests courts decided so. It's too bad the courts don't force MS or Goog to support open standards the way Apple does. We might even see those dinosaur companies evolve.

I wonder if we'll be able to port Spotlight to Windows... image

Do you really not get it, or are you just feigning ignorance in an attempt to make a (however flawed) point.

Anti competitive activities apply to (or are supposed to apply to) near monopolies (with three quarters (or more) of the market) trying to block competition by strong-arming them out rather than competing on level ground. -Like Ms was, and did-.

Actually, MS -excelled- at it. (and truthfully, little else) Really, considering how bad their software was (and is) strong-arming any competition down was the only thing keeping them on top (a fact borne out by their rapid decline)  I predict that decline will not slow (as many MS proponents are claiming now) but that their decline will actually accelerate in the coming years. (but it will take a long time as that pondering bulk created much momentum for them, which will take years to wind down)

• Reply 95 of 95
    adamw wrote: »
    Apple should get into the search business, and compete with Bing and Google in my opinion. Competition should help all search engines improve quality and also stay competitive.

I've never read a more inane statement of what Apple should do.