Apple considering 'major' expansion of Ireland manufacturing - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    sflagel wrote: »
    Travellers are a small Irish ethnic group who maintain a nomadic tradition. So apparently, this site is used by them as one of their frequented sites to live on temporarily.

(corrected spelling)

I enjoyed the film "Into the West", starring Gabriel Byrne, which has Irish travelers in it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104522/
  • Reply 22 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    afrodri wrote: »
    What, you don't add the customary 15% tip on your taxes???? /s

Good heaven's man, it's 20% these days! :D
  • Reply 23 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Ireland once had a significant share of the world-wide computer manufacturing/assembly market. In the latter 90's even Apple decided to outsource the production that had been done in their Cork factory, first to LG in Wales and then to Foxconn in China. I don't know what's changed economically for it to now make sense to move production back to Ireland. Perhaps by producing the actual product there and not just transferring IP there will be a tax advantage? It looks like the tax situation will be changing so maybe that's what's driving the new interest in Ireland manufacturing.

Apparently, Foxconn, on Apple's behalf, has hired every person of working age in greater China. This expansion into Ireland is a direct result of China's ill-conceived one-child-per-couple policy. /s
  • Reply 24 of 66
    rerollreroll Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm sure you contribute more than you're legally required to. image

I do.

• Reply 25 of 66
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Dearest Ireland,

Thank you for the incentives. Look at what we can do together. Stick up for us with those incentives you offered and we will be good to you. If not, we will take our manufacturing elsewhere.

Love,
    Apple
  • Reply 26 of 66
    reroll wrote: »
    I do.

No one does. The IRS has stated they have never received extra funds.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

No one does. The IRS has stated they have never received extra funds.

I doubt that: every year there are articles estimating how much US citizens lose by not submitting their tax returns. Those are extra funds.

I think what the guy was saying is that he does not seek any tax loopholes (neither do a lot of people I know who chose not to be non-dom in the UK) and therefore, it is highly likely that he pays more than what he absolutely has to. Heck, every penny one does NOT put in ones pension means that one is paying more tax than one has to - in the UK you don't pay tax on up to £ 40,000 each year if you put them in your pension and I doubt everyone who can actually uses the full amount.

• Reply 28 of 66
    cnocbui wrote: »

They used to also be called gypsies or tinkers.  I am not sure if there was any past connection to Romany gypsies.  A traveller halting site is usually easily recognisable by it's visual similarity to a rubbish dump.

Ok, sometimes the sites get untidy or even dirty but there's no need to make such a generalisation on an international website as you might give this Emerald Isle a bad name :D. As someone who lives a kilometre away from our local halting site, I have to say that it's kept reasonably clean and definitely doesn't look remotely like a rubbish dump. Let's stick to the article and consider the possible benefits this latest expansion will bring to the South of our island. Apple have been operating here since the eighties. It would be nice to encourage more business activity rather than getting a little sidetracked. And the planned data centre in Galway beings a little Apple goodness to the West, too. Now, if only we could persuade Apple to open a Store in the country. Then it would be great day!

Sordid The (Irish) Viking
  • Reply 29 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Heck, every penny one does NOT put in ones pension means that one is paying more tax than one has to - in the UK you don't pay tax on up to £ 40,000 each year if you put them in your pension and I doubt everyone who can actually uses the full amount.

I am not sure that is relevant in the least despite your "doubt everyone who can actually uses the full amount." This would simply be the result of a preference (or need) for for consumption from current (after-tax) income, as opposed to deferring consumption to future (after-tax) income.

• Reply 30 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am not sure that is relevant in the least despite your "doubt everyone who can actually uses the full amount." This would simply be the result of a preference (or need) for for consumption from current (after-tax) income, as opposed to deferring consumption to future (after-tax) income.

True, I thought the same. But then I figured that all tax loopholes, which is what the poster referred to (but admittedly, not the article...) have a trade-off, such as the inability to repatriate the money. I therefore figured that the trade off of current consumption vs future consumption falls within the parameters of the poster's question.

• Reply 31 of 66
    rerollreroll Posts: 60member
    Quote:

I doubt that: every year there are articles estimating how much US citizens lose by not submitting their tax returns. Those are extra funds.

I think what the guy was saying is that he does not seek any tax loopholes (neither do a lot of people I know who chose not to be non-dom in the UK) and therefore, it is highly likely that he pays more than what he absolutely has to. Heck, every penny one does NOT put in ones pension means that one is paying more tax than one has to - in the UK you don't pay tax on up to £ 40,000 each year if you put them in your pension and I doubt everyone who can actually uses the full amount.

That's exactly what I meant :)

• Reply 32 of 66
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ireland once had a significant share of the world-wide computer manufacturing/assembly market. In the latter 90's even Apple decided to outsource the production that had been done in their Cork factory, first to LG in Wales and then to Foxconn in China. I don't know what's changed economically for it to now make sense to move production back to Ireland. Perhaps by producing the actual product there and not just transferring IP there will be a tax advantage? It looks like the tax situation will be changing so maybe that's what's driving the new interest in Ireland manufacturing.

When the tax situation changes then I suspect a lot of tech companies will pull out of Ireland. This will leave Apple with the pick of a well-educated work force going cheap.

• Reply 33 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SidricTheViking View Post

Ok, sometimes the sites get untidy or even dirty but there's no need to make such a generalisation on an international website as you might give this Emerald Isle a bad name 1biggrin.gif. As someone who lives a kilometre away from our local halting site, I have to say that it's kept reasonably clean and definitely doesn't look remotely like a rubbish dump. Let's stick to the article and consider the possible benefits this latest expansion will bring to the South of our island. Apple have been operating here since the eighties. It would be nice to encourage more business activity rather than getting a little sidetracked. And the planned data centre in Galway beings a little Apple goodness to the West, too. Now, if only we could persuade Apple to open a Store in the country. Then it would be great day!

Sordid The (Irish) Viking

Ah, the 'Irish" penchant for hiding unpleasant truths and not tackling them head-on.  Sweep it under the carpet, smile, and pretend it's not there.

Traveller halting sites in all their pristine glory:  https://www.google.ie/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1219&bih=695&q=traveller+site+rubbish&oq=traveller+site+rubbish&gs_l=img.3...1989.13720.0.14087.24.17.1.6.6.0.168.1495.13j4.17.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..6.18.1495.Wyghwn0diwQ

• Reply 34 of 66
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:

If it is so, Ireland receives what the tax breaks' original purpose was: to attract investment.

Considering Ireland stopping the service, they are broke, and have zero jobs, I'm not sure it worked out too well for them.

• Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good heaven's man, it's 20% these days! image

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

What, you don't add the customary 15% tip on your taxes???? /s

Of course you joke but the reason we even tip waiters is so they can survive on what they get.  Imagine if the restaurant owner actually paid them a decent wage and we wouldn't even need to tip!  I know I know, why would they do that when we can just pay it for them?

• Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

As they well should.

And us too right?  Who likes taxes, especially when so much of it goes to helping military contractors get richer while killing people and also protecting business interests over actual safety? 

The only problem is they don't pay and we do, and then we pay more and they pay less and use the extra billions to BUY congress to pay even less. 

And so it goes on and on until we are all slaves to them and they own the planet.  It's so fun and it's working out great huh?  Profits all time high, wages all time low.  Ain't this great?! 

Yeah, the rich just need a little more, not quite there yet.  The 1% only owns 99% of the wealth on the planet.  They almost got it all, so let's keep defending them and help them get all the way there!

• Reply 37 of 66
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I would say without a doubt yes.  Follow the $ as always.  And we all know corps pay as little as 'legally' possible no matter what. 

Quote:

As they well should.

As EVERYONE should !!

• Reply 38 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You forgot two important words: "... the bloodlust of the vampiric democratically elected EU political class".

Democracies are a great example of mob rule.

• Reply 39 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Of course you joke but the reason we even tip waiters is so they can survive on what they get.  Imagine if the restaurant owner actually paid them a decent wage and we wouldn't even need to tip!  I know I know, why would they do that when we can just pay it for them?

If people couldn't make a living waitering, they'd not do it.

• Reply 40 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Crikey, so now the EU is too democratic?