Kudos to the Admins

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the last several weeks I've noticed that the boards have been chock-a-block full of locked threads (a couple of mine included). If you'll pay attention you'll see that the admins are really policing the boards and shutting down or moving threads that don't belong in the various forums. This means that they're actually reading the boards and keeping them on-topic. There have been times in AI's past when this wasn't the case.

I just thought that I'd point this out, as I don't expect that these guys get paid for their work here. Good job admins!

D

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I agree. The admins and moderators have been on the ball as of late.

As payment, I'll hang around here a little more often.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    yeah, I see that, too.

since Jamie's a mod now, I see him move or close threads very often.

Good Job !

(EDIT: not that the other mods aren't doing anything, but I see Jamie the most often)

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 27
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Don't kid yourself. It's a lucrative career. They get paid for each locked or moved thread. When the lid blows off this dump and the corruption is exposed, Enron and WorldCom will no longer have to take the heat in the press. The Admins' and moderators' kickbacks are the tip of the iceberg. When the press finds out Junkyard Dawg is really Martha Stewart, watch out!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    I agree, its nice. On another point, several times araound here I've seen posts fishing for warez. I have blasted some responses to the offenders, and noticed later that the thread is completely gone, not just locked. I commend the policy. This is a great forum of interesting people, and piracy should not be a part of it.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I think they have been over zelous in some occasions, but correct for about 80% of the time.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    gorgonzolagorgonzola Posts: 185member
    [quote]Originally posted by murk:

<strong>Don't kid yourself. It's a lucrative career. They get paid for each locked or moved thread. When the lid blows off this dump and the corruption is exposed, Enron and WorldCom will no longer have to take the heat in the press. The Admins' and moderators' kickbacks are the tip of the iceberg. When the press finds out Junkyard Dawg is really Martha Stewart, watch out! </strong><hr></blockquote>

SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 7 of 27
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:

<strong>

SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pssst, gorgonzola, ban murk! He knows too much :eek:
  • Reply 8 of 27
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Anyone remember MWSF when Jonathan went on a rampage and locked almost all the threads in Future Hardware? That was great !

(On a side note: Did a event like that happen last year around MWNY time? Oh how my memory worsens.)
  • Reply 9 of 27
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>Anyone remember MWSF when Jonathan went on a rampage and locked almost all the threads in Future Hardware? That was great !

(On a side note: Did a event like that happen last year around MWNY time? Oh how my memory worsens.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

A. the rampage will repeat itself this year.

**confirmed**

B. i've got a new partner in crime. (crazy Jamie)

C. Forums were GONE MWNY last year. We came back Sept. 20th or so,
  • Reply 10 of 27
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    When did AI go down last year? I remember lots of G5 speculation, but I did go on vacation the week before MW, and then I flew up to MWNY so I guess I didn't notice the "Great Shutdown" until afterwords. Seems kinda quiet right now, but we still have two weeks or so...

Bring on the locked threads!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I agree. The admins and moderators have been on the ball as of late.

As payment, I'll hang around here a little more often. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I use to know some formers mods that never closed any threads
  • Reply 12 of 27
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

C. Forums were GONE MWNY last year. We came back Sept. 20th or so,</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sept. 20th? Didn't AI come back November 12th?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Let me second everyone's props to the Administrators. You guys run this board with the gumption I used to have when I was one of six SysOps running Vermont's only multi-line BBS when I was in high school.

Ah, the Computer Club. Good times. Then came Girls.

- PEte
  • Reply 14 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Sept. 20th? Didn't AI come back November 12th?</strong><hr></blockquote>

hell if i know... i just remembered it was after sept 11th by a good margin... therefore... i guesstimated.

shoot me, eric.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    close this thread at once!
  • Reply 16 of 27
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    All I know is that my account was totally wiped in the Great Shutdown of 2001 and I had to re-sub to the forum when we all started moving back over from Bad Flamingo. Gosh, and I was one of the oldest of the old-timers here at AI though I hardly ever bragged about it until that designation disappeared! Now I just have a paltry post count and seem like a thread-starter of ill-repute.

Wait'll Jonathan sees all the off-topic posts in the next week or two...I think I can hear the storm clouds gathering.....

Ka-Boom! CLOSED!

Ka-Boom! LOCKED!

Ka-Boom! SMACKED DOWN!

Who were the old Admins?

I remember Eugene being one. Who else was an admin back in the good-old days? PowerDoc, were you one?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>

I remember Eugene being one. Who else was an admin back in the good-old days? PowerDoc, were you one?[/i][/b]</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, and Eugene was a moderator, if my memory is good.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I'm happy with the moderating of the boards too. I've noticed Jamie's enthusiastic zeal for the job the most of late... moreso than I noticed any other moderating before hand. But then again it's holidays (and not long to MWNY) so I'm frequenting this place more than I ought to.

Btw, Q: What is the diff b/n a moderator and an administrator?

Thanks.

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: Mac+ ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 27
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    EriMac was an Admin.

Admin = you can do just about anything here on this board.

Mod = you are limited..perhaps just the ability to lock/move threads. They cannot (to the best of my knowledge) ban people..only admins can do that.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

hell if i know... i just remembered it was after sept 11th by a good margin... therefore... i guesstimated.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I figured an administrator would know. No big deal though. The only reason why I know it was Nov. 12th is because that's what it says in my profile as my date of registration.

[quote]shoot me, eric.<hr></blockquote>

Don't give me any ideas, Jonathan