Apple Watch withstands 1,200m swim, simulated depths up to 40m

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member
    schlack wrote: »
    hmm...i think i'll go for a 1,200 meter swim after work. sounds fun.

how many laps in the pool is that? 12?

not that impressive.

In a typical pool, 48. In an Olympic size pool, 24.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    jetlife2jetlife2 Posts: 11member

To loan, VT, to lend something. It's a synonym.

• Reply 23 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

As a watch collector I can tell you that this is a foolish proposition. Every individual watch should be pressure tested before any serious diving activity, even ones advertised with much greater waterproofing than the Apple Watch. They are all different, and the slightest break in a seal could do serious damage to the watch components. That's why Apple doesn't want you engaging in any water activity with their product. They could conduct this test with another Apple Watch that came off the line right after the one they used and the results might be different.

The seals also deteriorate with time. You might be able to swim with it one day, then a year later the same activity destroys the same watch due to a break that developed in the case. Jony Ive and his team (also watch collectors) are aware of all this and they don't want the mess on their hands. So it's on you to heed their advice and keep your Watch out of the pool.

You actually make a good point ... Apple doesn't have time to test each individual watch as it comes off the assembly line. All the more reason to forgo a more rigorous IPX8 certification. There's also the issue of rapid temperature changes, like going from a warm day into the cold ocean, or a cool day into a hot tub.

But I personally am happy they are conducting these tests. It gives me hope that I will be able to wear it surfing ... but I;ll let somebody else try it first! ;-)

• Reply 24 of 49
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Yea, but that gives Apple all the advantage when it comes to warranty. 

So what?  You know what the Warranty is, if you don't like it, don't buy the watch.   I like erroring on the side of caution.   

• Reply 25 of 49
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post

I'm a diver. If anyone wants to loan me a watch I will happily take it to 40m for real.

And if it withstand that like the test you'll pay 2 times money back?

• Reply 26 of 49
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    schlack wrote: »
    hmm...i think i'll go for a 1,200 meter swim after work. sounds fun.

how many laps in the pool is that? 12?

not that impressive.

Don't forget your arm floaties!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    But wait, all the filthy trolls have been screaming from the rooftops that this product is useless because it will basically explode if a drop of water falls on it?

The filthy troll we have left has figured out to disguise himself as a buttoned-down concern troll. See post #24.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I am glad there are fools out there that do these test for me. I've gotten my ?Watch wet a couple of times and is still good but I am not going swimming with it. I like my ?Watch too much to put it to such a risk.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member

Even dedicated diving components like dive computers and dive watches have to be serviced every couple years, and warranties will not be valid if it is not brought during its recommended schedules.  That service not only includes the changing of the battery, but also any and all seals/o-rings that have any contact with water.

Apple warns not putting it in water.  I can understand that.  It's completely obvious that there are people out there just itching to find a way to compromise the integrity of the watch.  However, do you really think that if you're stupid enough to take it into a pull, let alone into the harsh salt-water environment of the ocean, you'll just walk into an Apple store, play the ignorant card and not blink an eye if the seals show signs of salt crystals?  

The ignorance and trolling on this thread is just on a completely new level.

• Reply 30 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by therfman View Post

In a typical pool, 48. In an Olympic size pool, 24.

Most pools people go, you're right, 48. Anyone saying that this is not impressive is an idiot. Apple obviously knew people would be really dumb about this.... Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't know how to detect the "dumb people", is itself dumb ;-).

If its way way overbuilt and you get water failure within 1 month, how do you think that happened...

• Reply 31 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by globalpix View Post

Watch expert macvita has me convinced not to go diving, or even swimming, with an Apple Watch, but what about wearing in the shower.? That's supposed to be prohibited as well and is much more of a practical issue for me. Any thoughts now?

Don't do it. Simple isn't it. Condensation in high humidity air being cooled will put a very small water amount inside the watch eventually, corrosion will be incremental until the connections outside the SIP fails, notably the battery. High heat is also not so good for the battery regardless of humidity. If Apple says not to do it and you still do it. Well, you asked for it to fail eventually.

As for Mcvita being an "expert".... You got to be kidding.

• Reply 32 of 49
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by globalpix View Post

Watch expert macvita has me convinced not to go diving, or even swimming, with an Apple Watch, but what about wearing in the shower.? That's supposed to be prohibited as well and is much more of a practical issue for me. Any thoughts now?

I've been wearing my watch in the shower for a week now. It's the last place my internet addiction hadn't invaded, and now that I can receive messages in the shower, this weirdly makes me happy. But I'm not worried about my watch breaking. If you are, don't do it.

What I've noticed about all of these "water tests" is that they take the watch underwater, then press the buttons and touch the screen and declare it working. They're all missing the two holes on the side for the speaker and the microphone. That's where water and pressure will really destroy the functions of your watch. And if you take it in a shower, that's where soap residue is going to end up. So sure, you'll probably be able to touch the screen and spin the crown, but you're not going to have any more conversations with Siri.

• Reply 33 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gerrit View Post

I've been wearing my watch in the shower for a week now. It's the last place my internet addiction hadn't invaded, and now that I can receive messages in the shower, this weirdly makes me happy. But I'm not worried about my watch breaking. If you are, don't do it.

What I've noticed about all of these "water tests" is that they take the watch underwater, then press the buttons and touch the screen and declare it working. They're all missing the two holes on the side for the speaker and the microphone. That's where water and pressure will really destroy the functions of your watch. And if you take it in a shower, that's where soap residue is going to end up. So sure, you'll probably be able to touch the screen and spin the crown, but you're not going to have any more conversations with Siri.

What's is going to happen are idiots (they call themselves "testers") that will casually walk into an Apple store, pretend to be ignorant about everything, play stupid and just say "uhm... duh... it just stopped working.  Not cool.  It doesn't pick up my voice... no speaker..."

The first question an Apple-rep will ask is "Has it been submerged in water?" which of course they will LIE and say "uh... no way man".

Seals will have some kind of residue.  Salt water will absolutely, definitely leave some kind of salt crystals, and then the user will pretend to be shocked, start screaming in the store in the gamble the ruckus will be enough for the rep to just give him another one to shut him up, or the user will threaten to post all about the "horrible Apple Watch quality" on social media.

That's what will happen.

• Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Under promise, over delivery

Apple dont want to promise anything because people are stupid. The moment when you advertise that your watch can handle swimining and diving activities, people will get crazy and start pushing this water protection to its limits. If you advertise that your watch is water protected, you should offer a repair under warrany for any damage caused by water, and since the watch is practicly imposible to repair, they have to give you a new unit, which costs a lot of money and reduce margin.

The conclusion is that you shouldt care much if your apple watch gets wets but you should avoid to the extent possible to play with water while wearing it.

• Reply 35 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gerrit View Post

I've been wearing my watch in the shower for a week now. 

Man, you need to get out of the shower! That can't be healthy.

• Reply 36 of 49
    longpathlongpath Posts: 398member
    Still waiting for a subsequent model that is actually rated for stuff like this.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    spheric wrote: »
    Man, you need to get out of the shower! That can't be healthy.

Or perhaps his girlfriend needs to stop nagging about his body odor, go t
    Right nerd don't have girlfriends!
  • Reply 38 of 49
    siretmansiretman Posts: 119member
    What is with all this showering with your watch? I am 69 years old and I have never showered with a watch.
    Why would you? Too lazy to take it off? Don't you think about the soap and scum clugging up the digital crown although Apple says to wash the watch when crown stops working?

Take the watch off and you will never any warranty problems with Apple detecting water immersion.
    End of story!!!
  • Reply 39 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    If I'd realized this was a news worthy I'd have already told the same story! I swim 1,200 meters at 40 meter depth in the Gulf every morning before my All-Bran with two ?Watches on.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    macvicta wrote: »
    As a watch collector I can tell you that this is a foolish proposition. Every individual watch should be pressure tested before any serious diving activity, even ones advertised with much greater waterproofing than the Apple Watch. They are all different, and the slightest break in a seal could do serious damage to the watch components. That's why Apple doesn't want you engaging in any water activity with their product. They could conduct this test with another Apple Watch that came off the line right after the one they used and the results might be different.

The seals also deteriorate with time. You might be able to swim with it one day, then a year later the same activity destroys the same watch due to a break that developed in the case. Jony Ive and his team (also watch collectors) are aware of all this and they don't want the mess on their hands. So it's on you to heed their advice and keep your Watch out of the pool.

I agree and this is why my 100M watch cost more to get it battery replaced due to the fact they have to do a seal test after they open and close the watch. Most people have no idea what goes into making something water proof/resistant. Apple is just making sure the watch is protected from everyday activities it not meant to be a Dive watch or even one to be used while swimming.

I would also said just because they did those test does not mean they a week or month a year from now the watch will not have issue due to what they did to it.