Apple's next-gen 'iPhone 6s' to come in rose gold model, feature 2GB RAM, 12MP camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
This year's iPhone upgrade will feature a rose gold casing color, matching the Apple Watch Edition, according to one well-connected insider, who also revealed it will feature a 12-megapixel camera and 2-gigabytes of RAM, among other changes.

Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities issued a new research note on Tuesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, in which he revealed a number of changes planned for Apple's so-called "iPhone 6s." Specifically, he said that Apple will offer a new rose gold option, though he didn't indicate how much the high-end luxury model might cost.

Apple first introduced the "gold" color with the iPhone 5s beginning in 2013. However, iPhone models to date have not been made of actual gold, unlike the luxury Apple Watch Edition which is made of 18-karat gold and starts at $10,000.

Kuo did not indicate whether the new rose gold "iPhone 6s" would be made of actual gold like the high-end Apple Watch, or if it will simply resemble the color found on the Apple Watch Edition.

The new color option would presumably bring Apple's total number up to four, joining the existing gold, space grey, and silver.

Other changes to the new handset are said to include a new design with different casing materials and a restructured internal design, addressing the supposed bending issues that affected the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Kuo also suggested that some 5.5-inch "Plus" models might use scratch-resistant sapphire covers, though he said that would depend on whether drop test issues could be resolved.

Another microphone is also expected to be added near the "iPhone 6s" speaker to improve sound quality. And according to Kuo, Apple will also upgrade the camera to 12 megapixels.

Kuo also corroborated information first reported by AppleInsider in February and reaffirmed that the next-generation iPhone will feature Force Touch input. He believes this will be the biggest selling point of the "iPhone 6s," but will also prove to be one of the biggest bottlenecks in the supply chain.

"Force Touch can enrich user experience due to more input methods and support of handwritten signatures, which is beneficial for expanding the commercial market," he said.

AppleInsider also first revealed in March that Apple would upgrade its so-called "A9" processor with 2 gigabytes of RAM, matching the memory found in the iPad Air 2. Apple has used a single gigabyte of RAM in its iPhone lineup dating back to the iPhone 5, which launched in 2012. It's also been said that Apple is considering a switch to its proprietary SIM card found on the latest iPads.

Finally, Kuo also restated his earlier claims that there will be no new 4-inch iPhone model this year, leaving screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches. He also reiterated that Apple will include an improved Touch ID sensor that will improve the Apple Pay experience with faster, more secure readings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I want to be an analyst when I grow up.

Then I can talk out my ass all day long.

:D
  • Reply 2 of 107
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    Maybe they'll product limited colors for promotional purposes, to hand out to celebrities.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    OK, enough. I am sorry but this is starting to sound like one of those fake commercials. We added a gold color and a slightly better camera. It's getting boring.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    I hope they make the Apple Sim Card Standard; their should be only 1 phone for all the carriers. A9 with 2GB Ram and a 12 MP camera would be great. Even better would be no Home Button, Charging similar to the Watch. 1 GB Ram is too little. The number of pixels needs to be increased so the large phone will be as sharp as the small phone (if possible).

Any physical switch they can remove from the Device would be good; provided they get the fingerprint recognition working much better.

While wishing, the phone could be a hub for a screen and keyboard that runs OS x or the computer should be able to have an A9 processor that will run App software and OS x Software and a cellular data connection.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    kevdrexkevdrex Posts: 13member
    OVERHEARD:
    "Is that iPhone made of solid gold?"
    "For $199 it damn well better be!"
  • Reply 6 of 107
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    I've heard a few of these rumors over the last few years, we'll see how they actually play out.

12mp? Would this be because of the dual camera that they're rumored to put in this time and overlap the pics?

Only briefly used the forced touch on a display Macbook, looking forward to see how it can enhance iOS.

I'm still using an iPhone 5, which seems slower and slower every update, would more RAM keep it fast over the years with new functionality added? How much would this affect battery life on an iPhone 6 ?

No new 4" iPhone . . . anyone wanna buy my 4" iPhone 5 when this sucker comes out?
  • Reply 7 of 107
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    I really hope that some of the rumors pan out. I could go for a new camera, ram and force touch.

I'd also like to see them enable the FM radio. I get tired of streaming music. I love to hear the DJ morning shows. I can stream local stations with Tunein but it's still streaming and eats data when I'm not on wifi.

Yeah I know. It won't happen. Wishful thinking.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    joninsd wrote: »
    I've heard a few of these rumors over the last few years, we'll see how they actually play out.

12mp? Would this be because of the dual camera that they're rumored to put in this time and overlap the pics?

Only briefly used the forced touch on a display Macbook, looking forward to see how it can enhance iOS.

I'm still using an iPhone 5, which seems slower and slower every update, would more RAM keep it fast over the years with new functionality added? How much would this affect battery life on an iPhone 6 ?

No new 4" iPhone . . . anyone wanna buy my 4" iPhone 5 when this sucker comes out?

I'm using iPad Air 2 which come with 2 GB RAM a and I didn't notice the difference between it and my iPhone 6.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Maybe they will have just for celebrities a iPhone with matching Apple Watch? Color matching for the trendy crowd?

Quote:

Originally Posted by simply258 View Post

Maybe they'll product limited colors for promotional purposes, to hand out to celebrities.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It is so much easier for Samsung, they just need to add lipstick to their top model. :D
  • Reply 11 of 107
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    Can't wait to get force touch on the phone.

Rose gold color option does not sway me that much but I think it would appeal to the female side of their customers.

Better internals with the camera and the processor is always standard but a two gig ram bump will be well received.

I still want that 4 inch phone option. Maybe with the iPhone 7 then.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I want to be an analyst when I grow up.

Then I can talk out my ass all day long.

And you'll always be assured of keeping your job no matter how many times you're wrong or how many times you keep repeating the same mistakes.  I'm not sure what an analyst's qualifications are supposed to be but they must be pretty low.

• Reply 13 of 107
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...He also reiterated that Apple will include an improved Touch ID sensor that will improve the Apple Pay experience with faster, more secure readings.

Improve the Apple Pay experience? The best way to do that is to get more places to accept Apple Pay. It's already faster and more secure than using my credit card.

• Reply 14 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffen Jobbs View Post

...I'm not sure what an analyst's qualifications are supposed to be but they must be pretty low.

I don't know, but they often don't seem to know any more than the average consumer. Less even.

• Reply 15 of 107

And once again, Emperor Ming's guesses get the "Breaking" treatment.

• Reply 16 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Sounds like quite a good batch of upgrades for an "S" model.

• Reply 17 of 107

It IS getting boring. Not just for Apple.  I think the majority of the smartphone market is suffering from this boring incremental change syndrome. 

Change is needed. 

• Reply 18 of 107

All of these 'upgrades' in the hardware would be great. But... I want more battery life. I love the iPhone but I hate that I can't use it all day. This fetish for thinner phones is ridiculous seeing that the battery tech required to make them usable for more than a few hours for power users is just NOT THERE YET. Or maybe its just me. 

Anyone?

• Reply 19 of 107
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's also been said that Apple is still trying to convince the carriers to let them switch to its proprietary SIM card found on the latest iPads.

FTFY

• Reply 20 of 107
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    It sounds like those up for an upgrade, like me , will be very very happy.