Apple CEO Tim Cook talks science, education with China's vice premier

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
Apple chief executive Tim Cook met with Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong on Tuesday in Beijing, the latest in a string of meetings between Cook and high-level Chinese leaders as the company looks to expand sales and operations in the world's most populous nation.

Liu -- the highest-ranking woman in the Chinese government -- praised Apple for its "business development in China and its active cooperation with China in science, technology, education and other fields," according to state-run news agency Xinhua. Apple manufactures most of its products in China and operates a major research and development center in Shanghai.

She asked Cook to continue expanding Apple's investments in China and to work to help further ties between China and the U.S.

Cook reportedly reiterated that China is an important market for Apple, and indicated that his company is "willing to play a constructive role in U.S.-China cooperation in science and education innovation."

Cook arrived in China earlier this week, just as Apple announced an expansion if its renewable energy program to its supply chain. As part of that initiative, Apple will buy and manage --?along with the World Wildlife Fund --?1 million acres of forest to provide raw fiber for packaging and materials.

The Apple chief previously visited China last fall, touring factories owned by contract manufacturing partner Foxconn and meeting with Vice Premier Ma Kai. Cook later hosted top internet regulator Lu Wei at Apple headquarters in Cupertino in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    joe meccajoe mecca Posts: 25member
    Tim Cook might not be the most powerful man in the world, but I believe he is the most influential man in the world. He's met more leaders from around the world than our current US president.
    Cook has been doing some great things and I personally trust apple to do the right thing at home and around the world with their billions than I do the US gov taxing apple and then using money for failed companies.
    I haven't completely thought this through, but I am realizing the important roll apple plays for technology and improving human life everywhere in the world and I really hope history will really look closely at Apple and all it's contributions and leadership.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...did Cook scold her on China's treatment of gays? Or does that not matter because Apple needs China more than it needs Indiana.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Rogifan:
    From wikipedia:
    Adult, consensual and non-commercial homosexuality has been legal in China since 1997, when the national penal code was revised. Homosexuality was removed from the Ministry of Health's list of mental illnesses in 2001 and the public health campaign against AIDS-HIV pandemic does include education for men who have sex with men. Officially, overt police enforcement against gay people is restricted to gay people engaging in gay sex acts in public or gay prostitution, which are also illegal for heterosexuals
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Apple will be in a great position to increase investment in China, as all those new sales $$$ from Chinese customers are easier to spend over there than bring back here.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...did Cook scold her on China's treatment of gays? Or does that not matter because Apple needs China more than it needs Indiana.

It isn't relevant. You have to "know when to hold them, and know when to fold them" as the song goes. Nothing Cook can say, or do, will change policies of countries. Look at Russia. A statue of Jobs was taken down because Cook stated he was gay. They said they wouldn't allow him in the country. That's much worse than China. Are you saying that Apple should pack up and leave both countries? What then?
  • Reply 6 of 18

Suppose he did that. Think it through. Then what? What would change? Or would Tim cause Apple-China relations to sour, so you can blame Tim for everything that happens as a consequence? Would you call him unwise, unfit to run Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Originally Posted by Joe Mecca View Post

Rogifan:

From wikipedia:

Adult, consensual and non-commercial homosexuality has been legal in China since 1997, when the national penal code was revised. Homosexuality was removed from the Ministry of Health's list of mental illnesses in 2001 and the public health campaign against AIDS-HIV pandemic does include education for men who have sex with men. Officially, overt police enforcement against gay people is restricted to gay people engaging in gay sex acts in public or gay prostitution, which are also illegal for heterosexuals

Joe, you really didn't think Rogifan would do some actual research before making his/her comment (5 minutes after you made your original post) did you ?  Of course he could have spent a week to "research" it and the comment would have been the same. I think 'his is not to wonder why, his is just to post or die'.....(with apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson.)

• Reply 8 of 18
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    think Cook will consider a presidential run 5-10 yrs down the road? would be interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Suppose he did that. Think it through. Then what? What would change? Or would Tim cause Apple-China relations to sour, so you can blame Tim for everything that happens as a consequence? Would you call him unwise, unfit to run Apple?

Personally I'd prefer it if Cook just shut up and stick to running Apple, but if he's going to speak out then really speak out. Don't be a hypocrite and only speak out where it's safe to do so. If Tim can go to China to talk about global warming surely he can talk about gay rights too.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    newbee wrote: »

Joe, you really didn't think Rogifan would do some actual research before making his/her comment (5 minutes after you made your original post) did you ?  Of course he could have spent a week to "research" it and the comment would have been the same. I think 'his is not to wonder why, his is just to post or die'.....(with apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson.)

You really think gays are treated as well in China as they are in the USA? :lol:
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Good to read but I wish Tim would speak to more American politicians about science and education. There is a woeful lack of both, especially science, in the USA, starting with many of the politicians themselves.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That was both a snarky and an ignorant comment.

• Reply 13 of 18
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Don't be a hypocrite and only speak out where it's safe to do so.

You should offer that opinion directly to Cook himself: [email protected].

I'm sure he would appreciate hearing perspectives on his conduct in public.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

You really think gays are treated as well in China as they are in the USA? image

What is scold worthy about China's treatment of gays then?

As far as I can tell* there is a social stigma (as there to some degree is pretty much everywhere), but no government oppression.  They don't have legal recognition of gay marriage, but then, neither does the US in its entirety.

What point do you expect Tim Cook to be making, to avert this apparently heinous hypocrisy?

* this is good: http://www.chinalawblog.com/2013/07/homosexuality-in-china.html

• Reply 15 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Personally I'd prefer it if Cook just shut up and stick to running Apple, but if he's going to speak out then really speak out. 

Many of us would prefer if you just shut up and stick to consuming (or not) Apple products....

• Reply 16 of 18
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

You sound like Carly Fiorina throwing out a sound bite to gain points with people who do not think. What exactly would Tim Cook win by doing what you suggest? It would cause more harm than good. Apple would be shut out of China just as Google has. You and Carly would then try to figure out how to fix something that should have never been broken.

• Reply 17 of 18
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

You really think gays are treated as well in China as they are in the USA? image

You are on a roll today! I am gay. I hope Tim Cook keeps his mouth shut to fight the battles that can be won. Indiana can be fought without the US kicking Apple out of the country. China can kick Apple out of the country, which would pretty much end Apple's business worldwide. Following your suggestion this would be okay because Tim Cook said something in a country that is not his own. Tim Cook and Apple have a long-term strategy not a short-term news bite. Please be smarter than you are portraying yourself to be.

• Reply 18 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Many of us would prefer if you just shut up and stick to consuming (or not) Apple products....

Is anyone keeping score you with you two? ;)

Then again who am I to talk with my somewhat undermanned and futile crusade to try to illuminate Gatiorguy's constant pro Google crap! :D