Google debuts first Apple Watch-ready app with 'News & Weather' update

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Google on Tuesday added Apple Watch compatibility to its News & Weather iOS app, the first of what is expected to be many Google product updates designed to nab screen real estate on Apple's new wearable device.

The aptly named Google News & Weather app brings aggregated news and local climate reports to iPhone and iPad, but for Watch appears limited to the latest headlines.

Setup is a simple process of logging in with a Google account -- or anonymously in guest mode -- and activating location access for local news. The app's Watch version mirrors a list of the top ten headlines as displayed on iPhone, pulling from personalized categories either curated by Google or set up by the user. Small thumbnail photos accompany most stories, though image quality is expectedly poor.

Unlike other news apps, News & Weather leaves out deeper functionality like article summaries, snippets, full text access or the ability to edit and change sources on-device. Apple Watch Glances are supported, but again utility is limited to only a single top story.

Google attempts to make use of Force Touch, with a hard press activating an option to add articles to Safari's Reading List for later perusal. With its full-fledged iOS apps, Google normally passes off specialized processes within its own iOS ecosystem, which in this case would be the Chrome Web browser, suggesting Apple has limited Watch syncing operations to first-party titles.

While not yet announced, Google is widely expected to update other apps in its stable, including Gmail, Hangouts and more, in a bid to build a presence on what has quickly become the world's most sought after wearable.

Google News & Weather is a free 12.9MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

No thanks, Google. :(

• Reply 2 of 26
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    All ready for the Droid clone of the ?Watch due in time for holiday season.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Please sign in to your Google+ account so we can track you better.

Yours Truly,
    Googs
  • Reply 4 of 26
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    No thanks, Google. :(

I can't wait for other Google Apps to be on the Apple Watch
    Please sign in to your Google+ account so we can track you better.

Yours Truly,
    Googs

Nope. Don't need to do that. Try again.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    F U Google
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Nope. Didn't say you needed to, I only said they would nicely ask you to login. Try again.

• Reply 7 of 26
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    @Sir Lance - what could get you excited about Goog apps on an apple watch ?
    You must really like ads :-)

Seriously though, I'm Interested in how they might benefit you.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    To those who swear off Google and everything they offer, my only question is, why? There has never been an issue of a mass data breach, and they don't even sell your information. Your information stays private with Google, and they sell ad space and match ads to your demographic themselves. And if it's an issue of NSA, etc., then 1) you think way too highly of yourself if you think the NSA is singling you out and tracking you individually, 2) you're naive to think that if you don't use Google, they can't monitor anything else, and 3) what the heck are you doing that your paranoid of the NSA coming to detain you based on your emails, web searches, and what news articles you read?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    To those who swear off Google and everything they offer, my only question is, why? There has never been an issue of a mass data breach, and they don't even sell your information. Your information stays private with Google, and they sell ad space and match ads to your demographic themselves. And if it's an issue of NSA, etc., then 1) you think way too highly of yourself if you think the NSA is singling you out and tracking you individually, 2) you're naive to think that if you don't use Google, they can't monitor anything else, and 3) what the heck are you doing that your paranoid of the NSA coming to detain you based on your emails, web searches, and what news articles you read?

For me, and for many of us it is not just because of the business model, i.e. give stuff for free with a lot of advertising (you know the old TV model so many of us are escaping with Apple TV) but also because the once friendly relationship that existed that was so betrayed by Google. Microsoft too, back in the early 80's, a good friend of Apple, Steve hired young Gates to create the first Mac's Office suite. So for those of us that have always been close to Apple we have lived through several these major betrayals and IP rip offs and there is little we can do except simply choose to avoid the products. I was a huge Google fan before Eric stabbed Steve in the back. I loved Microsoft's early Office software created under contract for the Mac before gates stole the Mac OS to create Windows (and please don't repeat that 'Steve stole it from Xerox' crap without reading the true history). The bitter taste these companies leave after they steal IP from Apple makes, me at least, prefer to stay away as much as humanly possible.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    robm wrote: »

"The time will be shown after these short messages, tap once for ad A or twice for ad B ....":D
  • Reply 11 of 26
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

What does NSA have to do with it? Google business is collecting as much information about you as they possibly can. They store it. They have been caught so many times doing dodgy things in the process. Like the time they ignored "Do Not Track Me". 

I don´t trust them. I am worried they will scan data they are not privy too once they get on my system. I don´t want someone making a database of my "digital life". I don´t want them selling that information to advertisers. But thats me. If you love google, go right ahead. 

• Reply 12 of 26
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    For me, and for many of us it is not just because of the business model, i.e. give stuff for free with a lot of advertising (you know the old TV model so many of us are escaping with Apple TV) but also because the once friendly relationship that existed that was so betrayed by Google. Microsoft too, back in the early 80's, a good friend of Apple, Steve hired young Gates to create the first Mac's Office suite. So for those of us that have always been close to Apple we have lived through several these major betrayals and IP rip offs and there is little we can do except simply choose to avoid the products. I was a huge Google fan before Eric stabbed Steve in the back. I loved Microsoft's early Office software created under contract for the Mac before gates stole the Mac OS to create Windows (and please don't repeat that 'Steve stole it from Xerox' crap without reading the true history). The bitter taste these companies leave after they steal IP from Apple makes, me at least, prefer to stay away as much as humanly possible.
    That Xerox thing has always had me puzzled. Not sure the reasoning behind people trotting it out whenever people say that X-company copied or stole Apple. Apple didn't steal anything but that doesn't make for good copy I suppose...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hydr wrote: »

Google business is collecting as much information about you as they possibly can. They store it. They have been caught so many times doing dodgy things in the process. Like the time they ignored "Do Not Track Me". 

I don´t trust them. I am worried they will scan data they are not privy too once they get on my system. I don´t want someone making a database of my "digital life". I don´t want them selling that information to advertisers. But thats me. If you love google, go right ahead. 
    Seems almost like everyone ignores "Do Not Track". Yahoo doesn't honor it. Nor does Facebook. It looks as tho most advertisers ignore it too. Even Bing was ignoring it. It's useless for all intents, a failed effort.
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/2489727/data-privacy/internet--do-not-track--system-is-in-shatters.html

As far as tracking "you", without a Google account they probably don't even know who "you" are. You're simply a numbered account tossed into the same basket as hundreds or thousands of other numbers that seem to share similar interests, and used to match a product or service ad to the basket of accounts that might have an interest and based on what the advertiser is targeting. There's not personal details sold or shared by Google any more than there is with Apple. Both companies have almost identical legal restrictions on when and where personal information can be used. Apple appears to allow it for certain advertising activities which you almost certainly didn't know since no one seems to read what they agree to.

Quote: "We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes."

Read your Apple user agreement details carefully.

Even with a Google account you as an individual are relatively unimportant in the business picture IMO. Hell, I've had a Google account for years but they don't know my age (off by 10 years or more), family dynamics or even accurately gauge my interests. Your value to a potential advertiser is simply "your" (whoever is using the computer/smart-device) likelihood of purchasing a product they're promoting. The higher the likelihood the more valuable the ad is. Therefor having some relatively accurate measurement of "your" interests can be valuable and why everyone one from Google to Facebook to Yahoo to Apple collects data from the folks using their systems.

In my case I'm a composite of the searches my son does, my wife does, my daughter does when she visits, whatever my son's friends search up when they're hanging around and what I search for. Why? Because we're all log in to the same Google account. No one is logging out and restarting the system before using the computer and/or tablet. Thus they're all "me".

In actual fact Apple is much more likely to know exactly who you really are and connect accurate tracking data to a real name than Google is. They have obligatory and verified CC's connected to real names, occupations, and financial data.

Just because they have it doesn't mean they do anything devious with it either, but I've often seen comments about maybe they don't sell it now but "what will Google do with it in the future". Same applies to any of the companies we entrust information with. In fact Both Apple and Google acknowledge it could change someday and they have no obligation to protect or delete whatever they collected in that event.

Quote:
    "It may be necessary ? by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence ? for Apple to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.

We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party."
    https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
    Keep in mind that when a company gives a use example it's just that, an example. It should not be construed as the only permissible one.

There's companies out there, several on this page alone, tracking and selling information on the real you instead of serving as an advertising middleman. Google is not one of those. But have a look at who does and you'll find companies like Krux Digital. Scorecard Research, Radium One, Chango, myThings and a whole lotta others selling you and your information right here at AI.

Your worry is focused in the wrong place IMHO.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    Looking forward to the Watch version of Google Inbox.

The built in Watch Mail is good.... but of course it doesn't know anything about my Inbox Bundles.

Also: one thing that is painful in Watch Mail is that you can't archive an entire thread at once. If you get 10 emails about the same subject that you don't care about you very painfully have to open each one and archive each and every one seperately. A force touch when you have a Thread open should allow you to archive the thread!!!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    robm wrote: »

Except for Google search and the one Tab labeled promotions in Gmail, I really don't see ads in the Google products I use. Google+ has no ads at all yet Facebook and Twitter do. Google Drive, have yet to see one ad. Google Now which is absolutely amazing, again no ads. Chromecast has no ads. This app everyone is dismissing has no ads. I don't have a problem with anything Google just as I don't have a problem with anything Apple that I use.

So Apple is completely innocent in everything and has never done anything wrong, betrayed or stole anything? Ever?Even once? A company as big as Apple is doesn’t get there by being all sweet and innocent.
    hydr wrote: »

What does NSA have to do with it? Google business is collecting as much information about you as they possibly can. They store it. They have been caught so many times doing dodgy things in the process. Like the time they ignored "Do Not Track Me". 

Like the time Apple was caught still tracking iPhones through GPS. Come on. Apple tracks your information as well. Maybe you know how to turn some of it off so they can't get most of it but 90% of people that buy the iPhone, or any phone for that matter, have no clue how to use their phone. Apple tracks a whole heck of a lot and most people let Apple do it.

I like Apple. Have two iPhone 6 Plus', one for me and one for my girlfriend. I also use other products and have for almost a decade. I have no issues with Google just like most of the world doesn’t either. Same goes for Apple. Some of you are a very few select group of people that think this way. Which is fine as I don't have a problem with it. Although, just because other think different than you do and try and have a open discussion without name calling, you shouldn't shut those types of people out and dismiss them either.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Small thumbnail photos accompany most stories..."

Okay, not interested. NY Times has photos in their Watch app too, and it slows down the load so much that the app is useless. I'm not going to stand there staring at my watch waiting for stories to load. (I do see notifications from NY Times, though, which are good.)

• Reply 17 of 26
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Once again, he reaches for "but but but everyone else is doing evil" defense of Google. You know whom I am referring to.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Makes sense. I just don't get that emotional about my computing platforms. I'll use Windows, Google, Adobe or Samsung or any other company if it suits my needs. Naturally I use all Apple products as my primary systems but I have products from all of the others as well.

• Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I can't wait for other Google Apps to be on the Apple Watch

One born every minute! :)

• Reply 20 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mstone wrote: »

Makes sense. I just don't get that emotional about my computing platforms. I'll use Windows, Google, Adobe or Samsung or any other company if it suits my needs. Naturally I use all Apple products as my primary systems but I have products from all of the others as well.

I think that's the essence of the Google issue with a few Apple fans. They perceive Google as somehow affecting Apple's business negatively. Seeing as they're the most valuable company on the planet, combined with an inability to produce any more product than they do now and selling in short order everything they can have feasibly have manufactured it doesn't seem like a valid concern. Apple's doing OK. If Google didn't exist could they make any more money than they do? They can't even spend what they already have.

What about "stealing IP"? Well, exactly what patents has Google stolen from Apple? I'm not aware of a single one. Not even product designs were borrowed from them. Note that Google even warned Sammy in no uncertain terms about copying Apple design work. I think the folks making that claim have confused Samsung with the OS provider. But, but, but . . . Steve Jobs supposedly said Android was a stolen (Apple) technology. Heck Steve Jobs said a lot of things over the years, often driven by emotion as much as anything else. Just because he said it doesn't make it so.

OK then, surely Schmidt stole from Apple. Everyone knows that. Really? Based on what, that he was on their board because Steve Jobs thought he could extract some value from having him there? If he was using his position to "steal" then why was Google's Android team so surprised, apparently blindsided about the capabilities of the finished iPhone product, needing to rethink the way Android was going to work to have any chance of seeing the least bit of success?

Yeah but Google only built Android to stab Apple in the back. :rolleyes: Then explain why Google, with zero knowledge of Apple's very secret iPhone project, invested in Android in 2004, buying them outright in the early part of 2005. Even DED acknowledges that Android was meant as Google's mobile buttress against Microsoft, and he's not the only industry veteran to recognize it at the time. Apple wasn't even in their thoughts when Google took on Android development since they had no inkling Steve Jobs was soon to be signing off on the iPhone project. Google ownership saw the danger to their business years ago if Microsoft were to be successful in controlling access to mobile, the near-future of computing. That's why Android was important. As it turns out Google did better with it than they probably ever expected.