Samsung takes Apple obsession to next level with new Galaxy ad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    deepen03deepen03 Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Did you miss the report where the S6 bends as easily than an iPhone 6 PLUS, and in fact fails completely sooner?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3/8341123/samsung-galaxy-s6-bendgate

And that awesome camera may or may not actually *be* from Sony — it's a crapshoot, and you don't know what you're getting. They're both very good, mind you, but you seem to a bit ignorant to be arguing from authority. 

http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-shipping-with-different-camera-sensors_163139

As for resolution: I'm not sure that "higher than I can discern" leaves room for improvement. The money spent on making a display 600 dpi just to win spec wars might better have been invested into a brighter, more sunlight-capable display and/or longer battery life. 

ok...

And I have the better Sony camera lens in my phone, already checked.

And if you knew anything about the new S6 screen, you would know that it is 30-40pct better in sunlight over the S5. Have fun using your 720P 326PPI screen on your iPhone 6. I have bad eyes and even with glasses, I can tell the difference between 326PPI and my S6's 577ppi.

• Reply 122 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    deepen03 wrote: »
    ok...

And I have the better Sony camera lens in my phone, already checked.

And if you knew anything about the new S6 screen, you would know that it is 30-40pct better in sunlight over the S5. Have fun using your 720P 326PPI screen on your iPhone 6. I have bad eyes and even with glasses, I can tell the difference between 326PPI and my S6's 577ppi.

Yup. More bullsh1t. Unless you're holding your phone within 12" of your eyes, you can't tell the difference.
  • Reply 123 of 135
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,666member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

Did you fail to edit your copy-pasted astroturf forum text? Nobody is talking about the S5.

(Also, how do you quantify "being better in sunlight" in PERCENT!?? "40% of users found the display less totally annoying in sunlight than the previous Galaxy S5!" or what?)

The iPhone 6 is brighter than the Galaxy S6, at least per this comparison: 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Display-outdoor-visibility-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-vs-HTC-One-M9-vs-Note-4_id69185

Though they're all equally useless in direct sunlight. 

I don't own or use an iPhone 6, though.

I can easily tell the pixels on my iPhone 5s, if I look really closely (I have to take my glasses off). I cannot, however, when using it normally. Higher display resolution is of no practical value. 

• Reply 124 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yup. More bullsh1t. Unless you're holding your phone within 12" of your eyes, you can't tell the difference.

I actually held an iPhone 6 and my S6 edge side by side.. it's a drastic difference. Anyone who says otherwise is just too brainwashed by Apple to respect any other brand. First of all Super AMOLED has NO BACKLIGHT.. so there is no whitewashed colors on the display. And I know you will say "oversaturated." That is why they have an option to change your display settings to make it look more natural.

• Reply 125 of 135
    He was talking about resolution.

Whitewashed colors, backlighting, and oversaturation have nothing to do with that.
  • Reply 126 of 135
    Quote:

Did you fail to edit your copy-pasted astroturf forum text? Nobody is talking about the S5.

(Also, how do you quantify "being better in sunlight" in PERCENT!?? "40% of users found the display less totally annoying in sunlight than the previous Galaxy S5!" or what?)

The iPhone 6 is brighter than the Galaxy S6, at least per this comparison: 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Display-outdoor-visibility-comparison-Samsung-Galaxy-S6-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-vs-HTC-One-M9-vs-Note-4_id69185

Though they're all equally useless in direct sunlight. 

I don't own or use an iPhone 6, though.

I can easily tell the pixels on my iPhone 5s, if I look really closely (I have to take my glasses off). I cannot, however, when using it normally. Higher display resolution is of no practical value. 

The S6 is very close to the iPhone 6.. 45nits lower is not noticeable by the average user..

and LOL how is resolution not of practical value? Because King Steve Jobs said the Human Eye can't discern anything past 300ppi? He was demonstrating that on a 3.5Inch iPhone 4 5 years ago.. Apple keeping the same PPI on a 4.7inch phone 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are. The iPhone 6 should have been at least 1080P, and the 6 Plus at least 1440p. They can do it! Samsung makes the damn screen for them!

• Reply 127 of 135
    Quote:

He was talking about resolution.

Whitewashed colors, backlighting, and oversaturation have nothing to do with that.

ok so my S6 edge is 1440P and 577ppi.. the iPhone 6 is 326 PPI and 750P.

• Reply 128 of 135
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

I do follow Apple product releases and do admire some of their stuff. I am a previous Apple product owner. I have nothing against the company.

Well, judging from your posts here so far, that isn't the impression one gets.

• Reply 129 of 135
    The S6 is very close to the iPhone 6.. 45nits lower is not noticeable by the average user..

and LOL how is resolution not of practical value? Because King Steve Jobs said the Human Eye can't discern anything past 300ppi? He was demonstrating that on a 3.5Inch iPhone 4 5 years ago.. Apple keeping the same PPI on a 4.7inch phone 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are. The iPhone 6 should have been at least 1080P, and the 6 Plus at least 1440p. They can do it! Samsung makes the damn screen for them!

No because eye doctors and researchers say the human eye cannot see the pixels > 300 PPI from 1-1.5' away. 1080 is useless for a phone. It only matters to spec sheets for phones.
  • Reply 130 of 135
    Okay, so now you've claimed:

- Samsung makes the iPhone 6 screen, which as far as I can tell, is simply outright false.

- something about direct sunlight performance of the S6 vs. the iPhone 6, though for some reason, you only claim that it is "30-40pct better in sunlight" than the S5. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even mean anything. But even then: Not sure how that is relevant, but since both iPhone and S6 are useless in direct sunlight, it doesn't matter. Worth noting that the iPhone is brighter than the S6, just in case you decide that you actually meant to claim otherwise (which you did imply, I guess).

- then you asked why higher-than-visible resolutions are not an advantage, and answered yourself just one relative clause later.

And now you're fumbling about, talking about how PPI should increase as display sizes get BIGGER? You really need to stop digging, deepen.
  • Reply 131 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No because eye doctors and researchers say the human eye cannot see the pixels > 300 PPI from 1-1.5' away. 1080 is useless for a phone. It only matters to spec sheets for phones.

The iPhone 6 Plus is a drastic improvement over the 750P iPhone 6.. It's a huge difference. And you have to be blind to not be able to tell a difference between 326PPI on the 6 and 577 on the S6 edge.

Quote:

Okay, so now you've claimed:

- Samsung makes the iPhone 6 screen, which as far as I can tell, is simply outright false.

- something about direct sunlight performance of the S6 vs. the iPhone 6, though for some reason, you only claim that it is "30-40pct better in sunlight" than the S5. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even mean anything. But even then: Not sure how that is relevant, but since both iPhone and S6 are useless in direct sunlight, it doesn't matter. Worth noting that the iPhone is brighter than the S6, just in case you decide that you actually meant to claim otherwise (which you did imply, I guess).

- then you asked why higher-than-visible resolutions are not an advantage, and answered yourself just one relative clause later.

And now you're fumbling about, talking about how PPI should increase as display sizes get BIGGER? You really need to stop digging, deepen.

ok so Apple switched to LG for the iPhone 6, forgot about that. Apparently Samsung is said to be making an AMOLED screen for Apple for the iPhone 6S. Doubt it, as Apple likes LCD.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/rumor-apple-snubs-samsung-as-iphone-6-display-supplier.html/?a=viewall

And I never said PPI should get bigger as the display gets bigger. Samsung was able to achieve that feat though with the amazing 2560x1440 screen of the S6 and edge. The Note 4 at 5.7 inches has around 470PPI. I know that PPI is lower or the same if the same resolution is kept for a larger screen. (Galaxy S5 was 432ppi at 5.1 inches vs. the S4 at 441ppi at 4.99 inches). But still It is simply beyond me why Apple has stuck to their stupid 326PPI argument since 2010. (Not counting the 6Plus, I know it's 401PPI)

and the iPhone 6 is brighter because of the LCD backlight.. AMOLED have no backlight, they light up the dark pixels and light up, hence the reason the S6 is able to go very dark at minimum brightness.

After using three AMOLED phones (S4, S5 and now S6 edge), I could never use an LCD again. LG has actually made a decent LCD panel on the G4 though, with the Quantum Display tech. It is able to go almost as dark as a Samsung AMOLED.

• Reply 132 of 135
    ok so my S6 edge is 1440P and 577ppi.. the iPhone 6 is 326 PPI and 750P.

Oooooo. Numbers. So many meaningless numbers.

Can I see the pixels during use?
    The iPhone 6 Plus is a drastic improvement over the 750P iPhone 6.. It's a huge difference. And you have to be blind to not be able to tell a difference between 326PPI on the 6 and 577 on the S6 edge.

ok so Apple switched to LG for the iPhone 6, forgot about that. Apparently Samsung is said to be making an AMOLED screen for Apple for the iPhone 6S. Doubt it, as Apple likes LCD.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/rumor-apple-snubs-samsung-as-iphone-6-display-supplier.html/?a=viewall

And I never said PPI should get bigger as the display gets bigger. Samsung was able to achieve that feat though with the amazing 2560x1440 screen of the S6 and edge. The Note 4 at 5.7 inches has around 470PPI. I know that PPI is lower or the same if the same resolution is kept for a larger screen. (Galaxy S5 was 432ppi at 5.1 inches vs. the S4 at 441ppi at 4.99 inches). But still It is simply beyond me why Apple has stuck to their stupid 326PPI argument since 2010. (Not counting the 6Plus, I know it's 401PPI)

and the iPhone 6 is brighter because of the LCD backlight.. AMOLED have no backlight, they light up the dark pixels and light up, hence the reason the S6 is able to go very dark at minimum brightness.

After using three AMOLED phones (S4, S5 and now S6 edge), I could never use an LCD again. LG has actually made a decent LCD panel on the G4 though, with the Quantum Display tech. It is able to go almost as dark as a Samsung AMOLED.

I get the impression that you have absolutely no point whatsoever to make. I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. You are just randomly stringing together vaguely related Samsung sales points, but when pushed, deny having made any point.

Example:

You wrote "Because King Steve Jobs said the Human Eye can't discern anything past 300ppi? He was demonstrating that on a 3.5Inch iPhone 4 5 years ago.. Apple keeping the same PPI on a 4.7inch phone 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are. The iPhone 6 should have been at least 1080P, and the 6 Plus at least 1440p."

I read that as a plea for higher PPI as displays get larger. Now, you're claiming that that wasn't your point, but what an amazing engineering feat it was [to achieve something completely pointless].
    That means that everything apart from the words "Apple keeping the same PPI […] 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are" is just completely meaningless bullshit, including all the stuff about washed-out colors, corrective profiles, sunlight - everything.

So. ""Apple keeping the same PPI […] 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are"
    If we agree that that bit there is the core message you are getting across, then you STILL haven't told us why a higher resolution is an advantage, and why the effort and money wouldn't have been better invested into a longer battery life, for example.

Can you answer that without blathering?
  • Reply 133 of 135
    Quote:

Oooooo. Numbers. So many meaningless numbers.

Can I see the pixels during use?

I get the impression that you have absolutely no point whatsoever to make. I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. You are just randomly stringing together vaguely related Samsung sales points, but when pushed, deny having made any point.

Example:

You wrote "Because King Steve Jobs said the Human Eye can't discern anything past 300ppi? He was demonstrating that on a 3.5Inch iPhone 4 5 years ago.. Apple keeping the same PPI on a 4.7inch phone 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are. The iPhone 6 should have been at least 1080P, and the 6 Plus at least 1440p."

I read that as a plea for higher PPI as displays get larger. Now, you're claiming that that wasn't your point, but what an amazing engineering feat it was [to achieve something completely pointless].

That means that everything apart from the words "Apple keeping the same PPI […] 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are" is just completely meaningless bullshit, including all the stuff about washed-out colors, corrective profiles, sunlight - everything.

So. ""Apple keeping the same PPI […] 4 years later shows just how stubborn and anti-innovative they are"

If we agree that that bit there is the core message you are getting across, then you STILL haven't told us why a higher resolution is an advantage, and why the effort and money wouldn't have been better invested into a longer battery life, for example.

Can you answer that without blathering?

So you are gonna sit there and defend Apple blindly? Yes they are anti-innovative.. How can a company go from 3.5inches to 4.7 inches and keep the same ppi on a bigger screen? Companies are able to achieve all day battery life, probably longer than the garbage iPhone 6 battery and most Android phones are 1080p or higher.

I can post my S6 edge battery stats.. I get 10-15 hours of daily usage with data on all day.. 1440P screen with an 8core processor.. talk about efficiency with that new 20nm Exynos chip.

I already told you why a better screen is an advantage. For our EYES, first of all. I am not kidding when I say I can see Jaggies on the iPhone 6 screen, when compared with my S6 side by side.

• Reply 134 of 135
    pointing out that you're not making sense and don't have an argument isn't "blindly defending" anything.

Simple question: Can you see jaggies when at normal use distance from the screen? If yes, cool, you have a point. If not (I can't), then higher screen resolution isn't relevant.

That's not "anti-innovation"; that's just picking battles and focussing energy on things that are relevant.

And again you seem to be arguing that they should increase the PPI on larger screens - the opposite would make sense, as larger screens are held further away from the eyes.

I'm glad that you're happy with your S6 battery life. I'm also quite happy with my 5s battery life.

You'd be a bloody fool not to appreciate having, say, twice that, though, wouldn't you? Yes, you would.
  • Reply 135 of 135
    So you are gonna sit there and defend Apple blindly? Yes they are anti-innovative.. How can a company go from 3.5inches to 4.7 inches and keep the same ppi on a bigger screen? Companies are able to achieve all day battery life, probably longer than the garbage iPhone 6 battery and most Android phones are 1080p or higher.

I can post my S6 edge battery stats.. I get 10-15 hours of daily usage with data on all day.. 1440P screen with an 8core processor.. talk about efficiency with that new 20nm Exynos chip.

I already told you why a better screen is an advantage. For our EYES, first of all. I am not kidding when I say I can see Jaggies on the iPhone 6 screen, when compared with my S6 side by side.

More bullsh1t. "Apple is Anti-innovative" is probably the stupidest thing you ever said. That says a lot.