Apple favoring sole-source parts for Apple Watch, adding to supply constraints

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    For all the whiners complaing about Apple's "botched launch" of the watch, read this and learn something: http://carlhowe.com/blog/apple-watch-an-overnight-multi-billion-dollar-business/ Apple would have been foolish to stock millions of Watches not knowing where the demand would be and for what options. By making their Watches on demand in large part, at least for the initial wave, they'll properly gauge their product mix and act accordingly. I'm sure they have whiners accounted for in their calculations and know that crybabies have 0.00001% impact on their bottom line.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    A lot of the whiners sound like spoiled brats. Just my two cents
  • Reply 23 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nick29 wrote: »
    For all the whiners complaing about Apple's "botched launch" of the watch, read this and learn something: http://carlhowe.com/blog/apple-watch-an-overnight-multi-billion-dollar-business/ Apple would have been foolish to stock millions of Watches not knowing where the demand would be and for what options. By making their Watches on demand in large part, at least for the initial wave, they'll properly gauge their product mix and act accordingly. I'm sure they have whiners accounted for in their calculations and know that crybabies have 0.00001% impact on their bottom line.

I like the whiners and crybabies part, but I think Carl Howe was full of hot air. He posted that before the taptic engine news came out. Did he offer a correction ever?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian37 View Post

Poor me....

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

Waaahhhh.....

Wait at the corner down the street for the waaaaaaaahmbulance.

• Reply 25 of 49
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

Wow, did this article fill with a bunch of fucking whining little trollish crybabies that live in their basements! Just stunning how many of you pissants there are! Your interest in a product wanes because you can't wait a little?

Talk about the age of instant gratification asswipes!

• Reply 26 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    nick29 wrote: »
    For all the whiners complaing about Apple's "botched launch" of the watch, read this and learn something: http://carlhowe.com/blog/apple-watch-an-overnight-multi-billion-dollar-business/

it's a great piece. too many consumers just think their shiny new toys drop off trees for apple to scoop up and send out. but the sheer complexity of a new product launch is almost impossible to describe...until you've done one yourself. i have, and it wasnt easy or pretty. lots of screw ups and yield issues we never expected. its an amazing challenge, and my retail product was nothing compared to the miniaturization and complexity of something like the AW.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I like the whiners and crybabies part, but I think Carl Howe was full of hot air. He posted that before the taptic engine news came out. Did he offer a correction ever?

a correction for what? his post is an excellent description of the complexity that goes into a brand new product launch. and his reasons for estimating it to be an overnight billion-dollar business.

and if you'd read the piece you would have noted this bit:

Despite this very specific 3.1 million unit estimate, I place a great deal of uncertainty in that figure, just as you probably felt uncertain about your ability to produce a million Origami lobsters in the thought experiment earlier. All it would take is one manufacturing mistake in the Watch module process or a shortage of the fluoroelastomer used to make the Watch Sport bands, and production rates could be much lower.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I guess people here get offended for Apple too easily.
    I don't blame Apple for the Apple Watch to take so long to launch. They could have said it will launch in August and it would have been just as fine. The problem is not even the time between pre-order date and shipment. The only problem is the launch date which implys this was the day people expected the watch to actually launch on that day which did not happen - at least not as a mass produced product. It is not spoiled to expect a companies communication to be accurate. That is a basic requirement for any company.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    sflocal wrote: »

Wait at the corner down the street for the waaaaaaaahmbulance.

o. On that same corner you'll find the one who birthed you
  • Reply 30 of 49
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what nonsense.

the only thing profoundly unnecessary is the "angst" you put yourself thru while waiting to receive your item, delivered on time. seriously take a moment and put your life in perspective.

also, please back up your oh-so-trendy claim that the nefarious "fashionistas" have usurped your position waiting in line? because from the stories posted to this site, its mostly apple fans and scummy scalpers that have been waiting in line.

what false info did apple staff give out? Ahrendts sent memos to her staff stating the AW wouldnt be sold in Apple stores until they had sufficient inventory to stock those hundreds of stores. that has nothing to do w/ any launch deals Apple may have made w/ partner resellers, who can be counted on one hand.

All your comment shows beyond your abiding need to be caustic is how completely uninformed you are....as H. L. Hunt once said, no benefit to arguing with a fool. You may have the last word on this as my ego doesn't need it and I can well afford the check to give it to you. Be well.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    flaneur wrote: »
    Stopped caring about you when I got to "angst." Grow up. Started really disliking your attitude when I got to "plaid clad chick."

The "horror" you speak of is in your head.

Thank you..reading what you said reminded me that republicans exist and every thinking person needs to vote
  • Reply 32 of 49
    lundkemanlundkeman Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJH3 View Post

I ordered within minutes of the launch at 1am MT. I cancelled it this past weekend when my date range of 4/24-5/08 came and went. Completely disappointed in this launch by Apple. As an early adopter, my excitement and interest plummeted quicker than the first round of Watches shipped.

Which version did u order?  I ordered sport 42 space gray on 4/10 about 12:06am with a projected delivery date of may 13 to 27.  Shipped may 5th, with a 6th delivery date, received it in the evening on the 6th.

• Reply 33 of 49
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

republicans

Blocked in 36.

• Reply 34 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    On the flip side, very few product leaks happened with the watch before the big reveal.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Thank you..reading what you said reminded me that republicans exist and every thinking person needs to vote

Thinking people don't vote Democrat.  Those (D voters) are the brainless masses who want handouts or who have "angst" for whatever, and support dependency as a way of life.

No need to bring up politics in this discussion.

I ordered on 4/10 in the afternoon.  That was launch day, but it was not in the minutes after availability.   For the "space gray" / black band 42mm one.  I am not suffering any sort of "angst" to get one.  I would like it to come but until it does, am patiently waiting.  I develop on iOS for a living and have  professional interest as well as a personal interest in the watch.   And I will wait patiently until my shipping window rolls around...

Nothing to have any sort of "angst" about.  It is just a darn piece of electronics.

• Reply 36 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    peterjh3 wrote: »
    I ordered within minutes of the launch at 1am MT. I cancelled it this past weekend when my date range of 4/24-5/08 came and went. Completely disappointed in this launch by Apple. As an early adopter, my excitement and interest plummeted quicker than the first round of Watches shipped.

Reminds me of people who never post anything in the forums unless it's "FIRST POST!!!"

You appear to be only interested in being the first on your block to have one. You aren't really interested in owning the Apple Watch and/or you lack the patience and perseverance needed to accomplish that goal. (Let that be a lesson, kids: don't be like this guy.)

And BTW, my space gray 42mm shipped on time, just so put your little "rage cancel" rant in perspective.

Good news: Samsung has plenty of unloved dork watches they'd be happy to send you from dusty warehouses. No waiting. ;)
  • Reply 37 of 49
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Once the initial adrenaline rush ends, not even a single supplier will be needed - worry not.

• Reply 38 of 49
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Best way to double down on secrecy is to limit who knows what is going on.

It does also create some issues but true or not Apple feels the Apple Watch to be their most important (by which I assume them to mean, risky) product release ever.

By V2 it won't matter anymore and all will be churning along
  • Reply 39 of 49
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Once the initial adrenaline rush ends, not even a single supplier will be needed - worry not.

Dream on.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    a correction for what? his post is an excellent description of the complexity that goes into a brand new product launch. and his reasons for estimating it to be an overnight billion-dollar business.

and if you'd read the piece you would have noted this bit:

Despite this very specific 3.1 million unit estimate, I place a great deal of uncertainty in that figure, just as you probably felt uncertain about your ability to produce a million Origami lobsters in the thought experiment earlier. All it would take is one manufacturing mistake in the Watch module process or a shortage of the fluoroelastomer used to make the Watch Sport bands, and production rates could be much lower.

Yeah, I skipped through a lot after the origami lobster part because I thought it was a stupid analogy. I read the piece when it came out, and pretty much rejected the argument a priori because he was saying in a more elaborate way what everybody else was saying—that Apple was manipulating the Watch availability as inventory control or as a way to guage market preferences before committing to ramp up certain models or combinations.

To me it was always obvious that they were having production problems, and obvious they would never choose to hit their ordering customers with such delays out of mere inventory logistics. We'd had a string of Ming-Chi Kuo reports from Taiwan going back months about production delays, which no one was referencing. Watch production was supposed to have started in November, but it did not.

To me, Howe was just another spinner of speculative narratives that were detached from probable production realities, casting Apple as cynical manipulators of their customers' good will, if you bothered to follow through on the implications of his argument.