Video, Audio, what market's next?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is clearly in position to dominate the video industry with FCP, Pro Tools, DVD Studio Pro, etc. (provided they get the hardware out the door.) Audio looks to be next with the recent acquisition of eMagic, and the great features of Core Audio in Mac OS X.

So what market is next for Apple?

3D seems like a big market that Apple can tap, but that requires fast hardware and expensive software. Along with 3D is the gaming market, which Apple has never really had a strong position in.

With it's recent switch campaign, Apple is targeting the Average Joe who is frustrated with his computer. Joe might just like to play games, or might be a gaming freak. The PC gaming industry is huge and Apple can attract a lot of converts from the PC side if they can make the Mac a more appealing gaming platform than the PC.

[BTW: Bah @ Jamie, go and lock my thread which was really on another subject and point me to a different thread in the WRONG FORUM!]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    My hope is for a decent non threatening 3D app with decent Animation.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    i3D?

Apple is good at making things very usable to the Average Joe, but I think 3D will be the one market they can't get a hold on.

Time will tell...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I don't think Apple's inevitable purchase of a major 3D company is aimed at the 'average joe'. In the sam e way Final Cut Pro, Shake, etc are not aimed at consumers.

Consumers 'need' a basic video editing app, and a basic Photo capturing app, but not a 3D app.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Consumers 'need' a basic video editing app, and a basic Photo capturing app, but not a 3D app.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They don't need a simple 3D app, but it would be pretty cool. I think some people would be atracted by it. I for one suck at 3D stuff, but it's still fun to mess around with. I would use a basic 3D iApp from apple more I use iMovie.