Apple's 12.9" iPad will feature Bluetooth stylus, Force Touch, NFC & more, source says

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    patchythepiratepatchythepirate Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

what is wrong with a developer wanting to be able to work on code when they have their iPad, but not their computer, with them?

Anything from an iOS developer working on the app they are building to a web developer fixing an issue on their web site.  Then there is the larger issue of people who only have iPads.  There is something inherently wrong with a computer that can't be directly programmed.  We should be opening programming to more people, not less.

When the original Mac came out, you couldn't build apps for it on the Mac, you needed a Lisa.  Eventually you could build apps on the mac itself, which resulted in a lot more people being able to build apps.  For the iPad you now have to have a Mac to develop apps, which excludes many people around the world from being able to develop apps. 

Go look at Alan Kay's vision of Dynabook.  The iPad has everything he envisioned decades ago.  Everything except the ability for people to program it.

You might want to read the rest of my post ;)

• Reply 122 of 129
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

*Rubs hands together furiously, maniacal grin on face*

• Reply 123 of 129
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I hope this works as a display and graphics tablet for use with a Mac. I've wanted a Wacom Cintique for ages, but the cost vs resolution ratio was always poor. If my graphics tablet were also an iPad I could carry around the house with me... Oooo... :-)
  • Reply 124 of 129
    epellepell Posts: 1member

Having a terminal open next to a text editor isn't multi-tasking. Having a research PDF open while writing a paper isn't multi-tasking. It's using multiple windows on the same task.

But true, real multi-tasking does not help productivity.

:(

Back to work.

• Reply 125 of 129
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Would Force Touch handle palm rejection? After using almost every BT stylus out there I hope there's a better way.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mr o wrote: »

I hope not.

It is proven that multitasking has a detrimental effect on productivity.

Oh give me a break, if it wasn't for multitasking we would still be able to pause the entire system simply by holding down the mouse button, remember Mac OS. I can't stand it when people try to dictate others computer habits based on their own. A lot of us want to be able to run apps in the background. I think it's ridiculous that I can't keep a terminal connection opened for an unlimited amount of time or simply closes it's connection when you switch to a different app like email.
  • Reply 127 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    epell wrote: »

Having a terminal open next to a text editor isn't multi-tasking. Having a research PDF open while writing a paper isn't multi-tasking. It's using multiple windows on the same task.

But true, real multi-tasking does not help productivity.
    :(
    Back to work.

Actually your first two examples were also correct or simply put, it's multiple tasks that are performed during the same period of time. Using multiple windows on the same task, I'm not really sure why anyone would need that but okay, sure, that's also multitasking. Yes, multitasking helps with productivity by a lot actually, your computer is doing things in the background all the time, without multitasking things like checking for new email would just freeze up your entire system til it was done downloading it's new messages. I think what your trying to say is running multiple apps isn't helpful in productively, even that though I fully disagree. Their are tons of examples where being able to run apps in the background can be helpful. Do you like listening to music while you work, how about being able to display a movie to your TV and still be able to use your device, how about downloading a large file that takes more than 10 minutes to download, do you really want to stare at the download progress bar until it's done, this list goes on for a while so I'll just end it with, speak for yourself, many people amd myself included need full multitasking, which includes running apps in the background.
  • Reply 128 of 129

Curious how they will implement the Force Touch. I think Projected Capacitive pressure resolution is poor. Putting pressure sensors under the screen works for touch pad that can move, but may not work on an iPad/iPhone that are stiff. Very cool technology here with >1000 pressure levels:

https://vimeo.com/58210238

• Reply 129 of 129
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    I get getting rid of the home button. Less moving parts. But sensors under a 5.5" screen making into a giant home button that is pressed far more sounds like a huge headache in the making for both Apple and consumers.