LifeProof launches ruggedized Fre Power battery case for iPhone 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Case maker LifeProof on Thursday launched preorders for the Fre Power, a new battery case for the iPhone 6 also designed to be rugged and waterproof.

The case sports a 2,600 milliamp-hour supply, said to double an iPhone's normal battery life. Charging is activated with a button, and should stop automatically once an iPhone is topped off. LED lights on the back indicate the case's remaining power in quarter increments.

Through design features like a built-in port covers, a screen protector, and anti-reflective glass over the camera lens, the case is waterproof to a depth of 6.6 feet, and should likewise block dirt and snow. It's built to resist drops on land up to the same height.

The case can be recharged through a micro USB port. Notably, LifeProof says an iPhone can be synced through the same port, eliminating the need to take the case off.

The Fre Power costs $130, and is currently expected to ship in June. Black, blue, and white/gray versions are available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Really wish these guys and/or Mophie would switch to a Lightning connector. I have no desire to drag around yet another cable around. They say syncing can be done with micro-usb---but I would be skeptical... Plus what about other uses beyond syncing? Playing music? etc...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iwarriorpoet View Post

Really wish these guys and/or Mophie would switch to a Lightning connector. I have no desire to drag around yet another cable around. They say syncing can be done with micro-usb---but I would be skeptical... Plus what about other uses beyond syncing? Playing music? etc...

I agree 100%. Will not buy one of these until they have a lightning connector. Apple opened that up over a year ago. There's no excuse anymore.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Are there ANY cases compatible with a lightning cable??
  • Reply 4 of 9
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member

mike1 wrote: »
    I agree 100%. Will not buy one of these until they have a lightning connector. Apple opened that up over a year ago. There's no excuse anymore.
    Some prefer the micro USB but it is true, why not put the darn thing in.
    I assume the reasoning is price and possible complaints.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

The only case I know of its the iBlason power glider for iPhone 5/5s.

http://www.i-blason.com/powerglider-external-battery-case-for-iphone-5-lightning.html

I have it and love it.   I'm holding off up-grading to a 6 or 6 plus because there isn't one for it.

Probably a year from now we will start getting case that finally use the USB 3.1 Type C

• Reply 6 of 9
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mike1 wrote: »

The cost of the licensing would probably jack the price up another $20.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

LifeProof? WTF? They are hell-bent on killing your phone?

• Reply 8 of 9
    Another one for the lightning not micro-USB connector. Please update.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The cost of the licensing would probably jack the price up another $20.

Yeah I just don't get it. Lots of people I'm sure, myself included, would gladly fork out $20 to not have to carry an extra cable around. At least there is a market for it and someone should be offering it for the 6. $1000 for a phone but $20 extra for a battery pack is "too much" ? There's an opportunity there for someone....