Apple intervenes in Radio Shack sale in effort to protect customer data

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »

Sorry, I meant that the US government sees the worldwide use of its currency as a benefit to US dominance, hence, they have no intention of getting rid of cash.

LOL, ok that makes sense now. I was quite intrigued by the poster suggesting the US wanted to be rid of cash, even though I doubted it. Being a sic-fi enthusiast I do think one day it may happen but not any time soon.

Also I am always wary when anyone says or writes 'the Government wants ..", as I have learned that here in the US that is usually only said by those whose pick for President didn't win. Thus it swaps back and forth every few years as to which political axe is being ground by any statement beginning that way.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    sog35 wrote: »
    I guess that's why he's on Seeking Alpha now.

lol
  • Reply 63 of 75
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This shows you how committed apple is to protection peoples information. Google would probably do the same thing, but for different reasons, mainly they do not want others making money off their informations it about profits for Google and other companies.

Does the article say anything about Apple's reasons?

• Reply 64 of 75
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Does the article say anything about Apple's reasons?

Pure altrusim, what else ?... :D

Seriously, it has become a great selling point for Apple to be everything Google isn't.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Pure altrusim, what else ?... :D

Seriously, it has become a great selling point for Apple to be everything Google isn't.

If it's a selling point then it's not altruism. ;)
  • Reply 66 of 75
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    sog35 wrote: »
    side point: Benji Frost is now posting on the Seeking Alpha site and continues to push his anti-Tim Cook agenda.  Its hilarious.
    Sog, i never got why his venom was skewed towards Cook. Cook's been doing a damn good job imo
  • Reply 67 of 75
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If it's a selling point then it's not altruism. image

Apple shares its customer data with its partners. They do not want their data sold to the highest bidder, let's say Google. It was fine for Radio Shack to leverage that data in accordance with Apple's guidelines. But it's not fine anyone else to use it without Apple's permission. It's valuable data for Apple, the price of which is publicly apparent in the form of Google. So no, I would agree ... not altruism.

• Reply 68 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If it's a selling point then it's not altruism. ;)

Hence "Seriously" on the next line ...
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Sog, i never got why his venom was skewed towards Cook. Cook's been doing a damn good job imo

Well said, I think a few of us here agree with that sentiment. ;)
  • Reply 70 of 75
    mac_128 wrote: »

Apple shares its customer data with its partners. They do not want their data sold to the highest bidder, let's say Google. It was fine for Radio Shack to leverage that data in accordance with Apple's guidelines. But it's not fine anyone else to use it without Apple's permission. It's valuable data for Apple, the price of which is publicly apparent in the form of Google. So no, I would agree ... not altruism.

For heaven's sake get a grip, that was a joke, hence the second line beginning with "Seriously" .... Jeez!
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Hence "Seriously" on the next line ...

Ahhhh, I should've caught that. My mistake.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's called capitalism. Marketing is essential selling anything. If you are offended by ads, don't go on the internet, don't leave your home, don't view your email inbox, don't watch TV or look in your mail box. Ads are what keeps businesses working. Learn to deal with it.

The real scourges of the modern day are things like gangs, graffiti, terrorists, drugs, sexual predators, and dictators, etc. not advertising.

You might have a point if 90% of ads weren't dancing toilet paper rolls or singing fudge bars.

• Reply 73 of 75
    elroth wrote: »

You might have a point if 90% of ads weren't dancing toilet paper rolls or singing fudge bars.

You really need to change your browsing, and/or viewing habits. :lol:
  • Reply 74 of 75
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I think Radio Shack failed because they couldn't offer products at a reasonable price relative to Amazon or Newegg. People really want touch and feel for things they aren't comfortable with - but no one will pay $19.99 for a product that's available for $4.99 on Amazon!

I think this is probably an early case - store that was spread out in every mall, and selling products that were commoditized. But the same thing will happen to many other stores. In 10 years, the only stores around, would be for food, or for local services like hair cuts. Even things like dry cleaning would probably go online! And maybe soon food too.

At some point, when shops start shutting down, rents will take a dive down. Retail salaries will drop to minimum wage. Then some stores will probably find some way to survive!

Soon the only jobs available would be as delivery boys!