Bentley again chooses iPhone to shoot new 'Intelligent Details' short film

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
Almost one year to the day after Bentley aired its first promotional "documentary" shot and edited on iOS devices, the luxury car brand repeated the effort to commemorate the Savile Row Bespoke exhibition in Washington, D.C.

Officially part of Bentley's "Intelligent Details" series, the latest commissioned film focuses on four major houses on Savile Row, each of which created a bespoke driving jacket for the storied UK automaker. The film and a behind-the-scenes video were posted to Bentley's YouTube account on Thursday.

With its short documentary, Bentley promotes "Savile Row and America, a Sartorial Special Relationship," an exhibition put on by the Savile Row Bespoke Association that traces the connection between America and the English street famously known for bespoke tailoring. Hosted by British Ambassador to the U.S. Sir Peter Westmacott at his residence in Washington, D.C., the exhibition runs from May 14 to May 15 with Bentley as a main sponsor.

Like the first "Intelligent Details" video from 2014, Bentley worked with filmmaker Austin Reza, who applied many of the same videography techniques, but with updated hardware and software.

Core equipment included Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, MoVI M5 stabilized camera system, a BeastGrip Pro to mount professional lenses and filters, and an anamorphic lens from Moondog Labs. On the software side, Reza's crew once again opted for FiLMiC Pro.

No mention was made of an editing platform, but Reza used iPads mounted in a Bentley Mulsanne to cut last year's video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Speechless!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    I heard that if a Samsung device comes within 25 metres of a Bentley the Bentley explodes. True?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

nice.

• Reply 4 of 16
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Delightful! What a beautiful production! I'm very happy that such a proud British tradition is still alive on Savile Row, and how appropriate that Bentley should sponsor it. It's quite a coup for Apple's iPhone 6 to be part of it, too.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    It's really amazing what an iPhone can do.
    It can do so much more than your desktop PC or rack mount server.
    Go Apple, Go Go Go.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

A beautifully shot video.  It's amazing how much videography has progressed to the point of being able to hold that same device in the palm of your hand. 

It's this kind of quality that Samsung can never copy.

• Reply 7 of 16
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Those jackets! State of the art!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The idea that a company could be so old that Queen Victoria and Audrey Hepburn went to the same taylor is very cool!

You notice the companies that last hundreds of years are never the ones that serve the low end of the market? Probably because those companies go out of business when the low end of the market reduce their spending during a recession. The oldest companies are always the ones that focus on quality damn the cost. Rich people have money to spend regardless of the point in the economic cycle. Apple has been moving more up-market in recent times.

• Reply 9 of 16
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The idea that a company could be so old that Queen Victoria and Audrey Hepburn went to the same taylor is very cool!

You notice the companies that last hundreds of years are never the ones that serve the low end of the market? Probably because those companies go out of business when the low end of the market reduce their spending during a recession. The oldest companies are always the ones that focus on quality damn the cost. Rich people have money to spend regardless of the point in the economic cycle. Apple has been moving more up-market in recent times.

As well Apple should.

I'm very glad to see Apple thriving more and more.

It should serve as an example to all of us.

I had always associated cashmere with sweaters. Now I'd love to try on a cashmere suit/sport jacket. It must be incredible!

• Reply 10 of 16
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    "But but but protruding camera lens!" --ghost of BF
  • Reply 11 of 16
    staticx57 wrote: »
    I heard that if a Samsung device comes within 25 metres of a Bentley the Bentley explodes. True?

We'll never know. The owner would tell his/her driver to leave the scene before getting that close.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sflocal wrote: »
    A beautifully shot video.  It's amazing how much videography has progressed to the point of being able to hold that same device in the palm of your hand. 

It's this kind of quality that Samsung can never copy.

Quality??? Fandroids always talk about how Apple is behind Samsung in specs.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ascii wrote: »
    What is also very nice to see is the very old school way of creating the product. The workshop and offices probably haven't changed much over the last couple of centuries. I also love to see the cutters' 'work clothes'. :) I wonder if the assembly line workers at Bentley are also decked out in bespoke work suits.

Up-market can be good and the English version certainly makes good movie material, but I am not sure Apple wants to be too closely linked to the Saville Row / Bentley set. Mr and Mrs Toff in their matching bespoke Saville Row driving jackets in their 200 grand + automobile is hardly what most people aspire to. Sure, the money would be nice, the craftsmanship and pedigree of their clothes and hardware is not in question, but I wouldn't call them aspirational. 'Museum pieces', perhaps. There is a class thing going on here, too. If you are of old money - genuine aristocracy, its all good. You may be perceived as an old world irrelevant toff in your chauffeur driven Bentley but you'd hardly care as you stutter along. The chances of you wearing a 'driving jacket' is probably not very high, however. But I suspect many Bentley owners are nouveau riche folks who cannot withstand the temptation to flaunt their wealth. Parading around in their Saville Row driving jackets they more likely are perceived as right bloody jackasses than you know, aspirational role models. Low class, loadsa money, kinda folks.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think an open mind and an ability to change with the times is also necessary.

I like how the tailors talked about pushing their own personal skills as well as striving to be contemporary.

As a side note, I think an ?Watch would look nice with these bespoke suits.

• Reply 15 of 16
    quenchquench Posts: 14member
    "I heard that if a Samsung device comes within 25 metres of a Bentley the Bentley explodes. True?"

I think it would be much more fun it all of the Sambung devices would meltdown within 25 meters????.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Check out the best phone mount for iPhone Professionals at www.UniGripPro.com