Apple TV gets new channels in Australia, Europe and Japan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    john_l_uk wrote: »
    Not impressed with the Apple TV offering in the UK, still no iPlayer, ITV player, More 4 etc, so missing a trick. hell even the lowly and ancient Nintendo Wii has iPlayer and co!

You don't need iPlayer on the Apple TV. Just launch it on your phone/iPad and send it to your Apple TV. I think itv player works the same but can't be sure without trying it.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

WWE Wrestling Network added to UK. What a joke - does anyone watch that drivel. AppleTV outside the US is an embarrasment.

Looking down your nose at people I see. Professional wrestling is the only true sport left in the world. All that other stuff like baseball, football, rugby, basketball, lacrosse, tennis, golf, etc. is rigged and faked. Professional wrestling is real. Macho Man Randy Savage told me this years ago.

• Reply 23 of 33
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I guess I should buy a TV first though :) Swore I wouldn't buy another TV, been happy just streaming on laptop for years. But recently been thinking I could buy a few sets of wireless headphones. That way it's not so irritating to those in the house who don't want to listen to it.

You should do plenty of research on wireless headsets first, imo. I have had two different types and the problem is that they don't block TV speakers while you're using them, which means that everyone can hear what you're listening to, whether they want to or not. Hardwired headsets cut off the TV speakers so no one but you can hear the TV ... ideal for late night watching while everyone is in bed. Because of my hearing problems I need both, wireless for watching in a group situation and hardwired for watching by myself and can turn TV up as loud as I want. My only problem now is to find hardwired headsets with long cable (10-12 feet) to go across the room. IMO, getting old, while being better than the alternative, still sometimes sucks.  Sigh! :\

• Reply 24 of 33
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    richl wrote: »
    *opens article excited about new UK services, hoping for BBC iPlayer*

*leaves disappointed*

BBC iPlayer works fine on Apple TV. Just send it from your phone or iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksonM404 View Post

It's the same device.   The content & channels you see is based on your apple id.  If you have an Apple ID setup with a Japanese address and credit card (which has a Japanese billing address) then you can flip between your US apple id and Japanese one.    I have a US an Australian apple id and do this all the time.

Ah, good to know.  Thanks.  I do have a Japanese apple id at my MILs house...  I'll give it a try!

• Reply 26 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Not impressed with the Apple TV offering in the UK, still no iPlayer, ITV player, More 4 etc, so missing a trick. hell even the lowly and ancient Nintendo Wii has iPlayer and co!
    And here in Australia, no iPlayer Global, ABC iView, SBS OnDemand, or other catchup services apart from TenPlay, and I don't watch anything on Channel 10. As for Stan, I ditched it after the free trial because it offered nothing better than Netflix, and I really don't want two services.

I really think Apple are missing a trick by not getting more local catch up services on the Apple TV. Streaming from another device is OK (except SBS OnDemand breaks during Interstitial commercials for some reason), but having it native is better, and doesn't tie up your phone or iPad while you watch.
    crosslad wrote: »
    You don't need iPlayer on the Apple TV. Just launch it on your phone/iPad and send it to your Apple TV. I think itv player works the same but can't be sure without trying it.
    It should do, as long as it's using the native video player. I get games accidentally streaming to the TV if I forget to turn it off, which is annoying when someone's trying to watch something.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    rochfordrochford Posts: 32member
    More interesting than the Netflix clone Stan appearing on my ????TV in Australia was seeing Fox Sports appear there, sign of a new relationship?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member

Will these other country video apps be available in the U.S. marketplace.  Love UK and Australia content!

• Reply 29 of 33
    john_l_ukjohn_l_uk Posts: 59member
    Thanks Crosslad, I am aware of the workaround and have used it a couple of times but it doesn't address the issue of Apple TV being so far behind the competition it's embarrassing. One of my kids has an X Box, which naturally, being a 21st Century machine, can access all of the 'Freeview' channels. If I use Apple TV when he visits, maybe to show a video from my phone by AirPlay, I'm sure he feels sorry for me when he sees the channel line up. People buy Apple stuff because it's ahead of the curve, technologically superior, so it makes me despondent when other platforms do better!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    It gets worse! Just discovered that You Tube has been completely removed from my Apple TV2. It's rapidly turning into a brick. I can of course stream from my iPhone and because I invested in the kit to connect it to my hi-fi I can still use it as a media hub, but now any video content has to be paid for! Either Netflix or iTunes. I got my Sky HD plus (TiVo) box for free as a Sky subscriber but I paid £100 for my Apple TV and would have expected it to be fully functioning for more than just three years! Just wondering whether there's a class action lawsuit here?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It gets worse! Just discovered that You Tube has been completely removed from my Apple TV2. It's rapidly turning into a brick. I can of course stream from my iPhone and because I invested in the kit to connect it to my hi-fi I can still use it as a media hub, but now any video content has to be paid for! Either Netflix or iTunes. I got my Sky HD plus (TiVo) box for free as a Sky subscriber but I paid £100 for my Apple TV and would have expected it to be fully functioning for more than just three years! Just wondering whether there's a class action lawsuit here?

I guess you missed this.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/186106/youtube-app-vanishes-from-older-apple-tv-models-latest-version-unaffected
  • Reply 32 of 33
    lilianaliliana Posts: 1member

Here you can find step by step instructions to get VPN service on you Apple TV http://www.vpnfaqs.com/2015/03/apple-tv-vpn-outside-us/ . It works well when i was in Dubai within encrypted tunnel ensures security and online privacy.

• Reply 33 of 33
    john_l_ukjohn_l_uk Posts: 59member
    I did know that mate, thanks, but it just doesn't make sense from a commercial point of view to put a streaming media product on the UK market that doesn't include all of our free content providers, also maybe don't want to tie the phone up being the source of the signal.