Another MWNY prediction . . . A new Apple.com?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new Apple.com!

I recall rumors a while back about Apple moving to redesign their website . . .

Because they either weren't happy, or they thought it was getting old, or such.

Obviously we have no way of knowing . . .

Not like anyone has an insider on Apple's web dev team . . . but . . .

But we do know:

Aqua has been refined for Jaguar.

Apple's site is Aqua-like - but not [i]refined[/i[ Aqua.

I think there also might be some updated logos, and branding - not that Apple is changing their logo - oh no no

but I think some new branding uses - such as the multi-colored apple logos from the rainbow iMac era, etc

Also, maybe the new celebrity Apple ads.

(Harry Knowles from Aintitcoolnews.com among others has filmed a commercial - or a segment for a product)

So

as for design, and also usability, ease of navigation

What would you like to see on a new Apple.com?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple.com is very well designed, IMO...why change it? Let's look at an example...Yahoo! was fine the way it was. The main page was easy to navigate without too much visual clutter. Look at it now. It has more pretty colors and more sections, but I hate it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    I have to agree that Apple.com is one of the best designed sites that I go to. Its so simple and easy to use, while looking good. I also hate Yahoo's new design. Way too cluttered. They have put way too much stuff in a much to small area. I think apple has won a few awards for their web site design.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Apple's site is minimal and zen-like (for the most part) and I like it.

Remember, that the 'refined' Aqua may indeed just be a theme they are playing with, and the Aqua we have right now may still be the default.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Oh no, any website can be improved...even if they're only incremental tweaks.

Apple's website has a LOT of content that you cannot navigate toward from the toolbar and while this isn't unusual for a large company, it does show that the current design limits navigation.

Having said that, I'll wager that Apple doesn't change their basic minimalist style. You'll still find yourself directed from places like MacCentral to pages inside of the Apple site which you might never have found on your own.

Finally, it's important to nudge your site design around at least every two years or so. How many of your favorite magazines have a "new look" from time to time?

I expect that it'll be a nice design if it happens.....