Trader Joe's grocery chain preparing to accept Apple Pay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Popular U.S. grocery chain Trader Joe's is gearing up to begin accepting contactless payments via Apple Pay at check-out, AppleInsider has learned.

Photo credit: Victor Marks.

Kiosks at Trader Joe's checkout counters across the U.S. have been seeing upgrades in recent weeks and months to VeriFone touchscreen machines. Some of these payment terminals already advertise that they accept Apple Pay, as seen above at a store in Raleigh, spotted by AppleInsider.

Not all stores have yet enabled support for Apple Pay, even if the new VeriFone terminals are installed. For example, a trip Friday afternoon to the Trader Joe's in Brooklyn revealed that Apple Pay is not yet being accepted, and a check-out clerk mentioned that support is forthcoming at an unknown date.

AppleInsider reached out to Trader Joe's to find out when Apple Pay support might be officially, fully coming to the grocery chain, but requests for comment were not returned as of Friday afternoon.

Managers at two California stores separately verified that Trader Joe's is experimenting with new touchless payment solutions, including Apple's, but has yet to make a formal decision on support. Employees at other locations had not yet heard of upcoming functionality.

The California-based, privately-held company owns more than 400 locations across the U.S., spanning to both coasts. Specializing in private label foods, organics and specialty products, it raked in an estimated $12 billion in revenue last year.

When it officially launches, Apple Pay support at Trader Joe's will join other grocery chains such as Meijer, Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo and Whole Foods, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Yeah, I went there on Monday. Saw the Apple Pay logo on the screen. Paid with my Watch. Blew the cashier's mind.

• Reply 2 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Good news. Trader Joe's was such a holdout on barcode readers, I was wondering how soon they would move into "airpay" POS systems of any kind.

Not wondering actually, but worried is more like it. If they dodged Apple Pay it would be a huge PR issue in California.

Can't wait to see how people react to the Watch. The checkout counter at TJ's is always a social scene already, in complete contrast to other chain groceries that I know of.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    I work for Trader Joe's. We go live with ?pay on Wednesday May 20th. Company wide.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Sprouts Farmer's Market also accepts Apple Pay... Shown on their terminals by logo and it works. So does Smiths Market (Kroger owned). Lots of places rolling it out.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Wegmans does also.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I've been boycotting any merchant who doesn't accept Apple Pay.

(P.S. Can someone give me a ride? I haven't been able to buy gas anywhere.)
  • Reply 7 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rredapple View Post

I work for Trader Joe's. We go live with ?pay on Wednesday May 20th. Company wide.

Oh that's why they switched to those horrible new POSTs haha

• Reply 8 of 55

Hallelujah! I love TJs. I ask the cashiers all the time about Apple Pay in the hopes they would eventually accept it. Time to go celebrate with some 2 buck chuck!

• Reply 9 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

Trader Joe's declines to comment. An AI exclusive!

• Reply 10 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically they're supporting contactless payments which would include ?Pay. Yea! Now what about Target?
  • Reply 11 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rredapple wrote: »

One of my favorite stores. Great quality at great prices. A rare thing these days.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Sad
    Hallelujah! I love TJs. I ask the cashiers all the time about Apple Pay in the hopes they would eventually accept it. Time to go celebrate with some 2 buck chuck!
    Sadly now, it's three buck chuck now.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I hope they also enable the credit card chip readers on those fancy new devices. As of last week, they hadn't at my local store, even though they've had the new equipment for months.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    rredapple wrote: »

Hey, thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    mac_128 wrote: »

Oh that's why they switched to those horrible new POSTs haha

Idiot post of the . . . week? Month? Year?

Troll.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The California-based, privately-held company owns more than 400 locations across the U.S., spanning to both coasts. 

FWIW, Trader Joe's is actually owned by (or at least parent company is) Aldi, based in Germany. I looked it up and was surprised to find that Aldi has owned them since 1979. This would explain why some of my relatives traveling in Germany reported finding some items at the grocery store there with the Trader Joe's brand packaging.

(I like Trader Joe's--I go there all the time.)
  • Reply 17 of 55
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

FWIW, Trader Joe's is actually owned by (or at least parent company is) Aldi, based in Germany. I looked it up and was surprised to find that Aldi has owned them since 1979. This would explain why some of my relatives traveling in Germany reported finding some items at the grocery store there with the Trader Joe's brand packaging.

Yup - when you said from founder Joe Couloumbe.  Interesting article in the link below, btw....

Quote:

Few customers realize the chain is owned by Germany’s ultra-private Albrecht family, the people behind the Aldi Nord supermarket empire. (A different branch of the family controls Aldi Süd, parent of the U.S. Aldi grocery chain.) Famous in Germany for not talking to the press, the Albrechts have passed their tightlipped ways on to their U.S. business: Trader Joe’s and its CEO, Dan Bane, declined repeated requests to speak to Fortune, and the company has never participated in a major story about its business operations.

“They see themselves as a national chain of neighborhood specialty grocery stores,” says Mark Mallinger, a Pepperdine University professor who has done research for the company. “It means you want to create an image of mom and pop as you grow.”  http://fortune.com/2010/08/23/inside-the-secret-world-of-trader-joes/

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

One of my favorite stores. Great quality at great prices. A rare thing these days.

And many organic foods at near conventional produce prices. Plus unique products you won't find anywhere else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rredapple View Post

Good on ya', mate. I'm always treated well by Joe people....

• Reply 18 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

TBH I have no issues with Aldi (US) either. Everything my wife has purchased from there has been excellent quality and great pricing. She flipflops between there and Publix.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Great! The world takeover continues!

• Reply 20 of 55
    Heck, my pet's groomer accepts Apple Pay. I also enjoy being able to use it at Coca-Cola vending machines in the mall, etc. It's gaining traction.