This week on AppleInsider: 'iPhone 6s' details, streaming music plans, HomeKit hardware in June

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
A relatively quiet week nevertheless witnessed some of the first detailed specs for the next-generation iPhone, as well as more news on Apple's plans for the Beats Music relaunch, and the first generation of HomeKit devices.

Apple creates up to one million acres of managed Chinese forest

On Sunday, Apple announced a partnership with World Wildlife Fund China to manage up to a million acres of Chinese forest. The company is ultimately aiming for a net-zero impact on the Earth's sustainable virgin fiber supply.

The company is also expanding renewable energy efforts to the Chinese factories that manufacture its products. Some 87 percent of Apple's own operations are using renewable energy -- the eventual goal is 100 percent -- but third-party suppliers have so far been allowed to continue using non-renewable sources.

'iPhone 6s' may get 12-megapixel camera, 2GB of RAM

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo on Tuesday claimed that the next-generation flagship iPhone, presumably called the iPhone 6s, will have a variety of upgrades like a 12-megapixel camera and 2 gigabytes of RAM. The device is also expected to use new internal and exterior designs, in part to address the structural weaknesses causing some current-generation iPhones to bend.

Apple will allegedly stick with 4.7- and 5.5-inch screens, but could upgrade the latter -- presumably called 6s Plus -- with sapphire for extra durability. Both sizes should support Force Touch input, enabling new controls.

The 6s is also expected to get a rose gold color, matching the color of the genuine rose gold used in the most expensive Apple Watch models.

A separate report on Friday backed the idea of 12-megapixel camera, but suggested Apple might switch to a sensor that uses smaller pixels.

Rebranded Beats Music to have new social network for artists

Though many aspects of Apple's upcoming on-demand music service are shrouded in secrecy, a Wednesday report said that it will have an artists-only social network. It may be similar in some respects to Apple's failed Ping network, letting artists share music, concert dates, and other updates, but without listener profiles on the other end.

The new approach might be similar to Spotify, except that Apple's service will allegedly let people like and comment on posts.

Apple Maps data services undergoing overhaul for future releases

AppleInsider discovered that Apple is doing a "front-to-back" overhaul of the data services behind Maps. The information emerged from an opening for a senior software engineer in the Maps Data Services team.

The reason for the intensive project wasn't made clear, but Apple is known to be restoring public transit directions to Maps, which may necessitate improving the platform's data infrastructure.

First HomeKit accessories to launch in June

Responding to Fortune claims on Thursday of a delayed rollout, Apple insisted that first-generation HomeKit compliant accessories would ship in June. Fortune suggested that the software allowing detection and configuration of devices was being plagued by memory problems, and would force HomeKit's arrival to wait until late this year.

The home automation platform was originally announced in June 2014, but product certification only began a few months ago. Compatible setups will let people control things like lights, doors and appliances from an iOS device.

Trader Joe's to take Apple Pay

At the end of the week, AppleInsider learned that popular grocery chain Trader Joe's will soon start accepting Apple Pay. Some payment terminals are already showing an Apple Pay logo.

Not all stores have been equipped with compatible terminals however, and even then support isn't guaranteed. One outlet in Raleigh, N.C., was found to be prepared, while another in Brooklyn, N.Y., wasn't.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    The entire Apple week recapped and no mention of watches?
    I'm going to forget about them before mine even arrives...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    I like the new iPhone as described here. We shall now wait and see what specs it will really have.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hoobitronhoobitron Posts: 28member
    Removed
  • Reply 4 of 9
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

So the question becomes.... do I trudge along with my trusty iPhone 4 until this new iPhone arrives, or do I upgrade to an iPhone 6 next month? I guess I can wait. It's pretty much the Viber app that frustrates me the most with it being extremely slow at reactivating when brought to the foreground, and I don't blame the phone's hardware for that... I blame the Viber team for making some weird app decisions, which I also see in the Mac app.

• Reply 5 of 9
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    So the question becomes.... do I trudge along with my trusty iPhone 4 until this new iPhone arrives, or do I upgrade to an iPhone 6 next month? I guess I can wait. It's pretty much the Viber app that frustrates me the most with it being extremely slow at reactivating when brought to the foreground, and I don't blame the phone's hardware for that... I blame the Viber team for making some weird app decisions, which I also see in the Mac app.

Depends on what you are looking for as there will always be something better coming out next year. My personal experience with the 6 has been great, and I enjoy using Apple Pay even in its limited rollout. I upgraded from a 5 and love Touch ID. I have never had a problem with bending nor had an issue with having only 1 gig of RAM. I have a slim case with a glass screen protector and so far so good. I do kind of wish I would have gone for the 6 plus at times though. Coming from a 4, the LTE alone would be a good reason to upgrade. Just my $0.02 though, as every use case is different.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Depends on what you are looking for as there will always be something better coming out next year. My personal experience with the 6 has been great, and I enjoy using Apple Pay even in its limited rollout. I upgraded from a 5 and love Touch ID. I have never had a problem with bending nor had an issue with having only 1 gig of RAM. I have a slim case with a glass screen protector and so far so good. I do kind of wish I would have gone for the 6 plus at times though. Coming from a 4, the LTE alone would be a good reason to upgrade. Just my $0.02 though, as every use case is different.

Some considerations for my decision.... Apple Pay is not yet supported here in Canada even though we have NFC payments everywhere. Regarding 1gig RAM, I'm an advocate of memory-efficient software. As soon as we move to more RAM, developers will get lazy and stop optimizing for less memory. LTE support here is spotty, but getting better all the time.

What might push me over the edge sooner rather than later is Safari..... it's been crashing far more than I'd like, to the point that I just give up and move onto doing something else. I could try an alternate browser, but one would think the default built-in browser would make best use of memory and system resources.

• Reply 7 of 9
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    [QUOTE]The device is also expected to use new internal and exterior designs, in part to address the structural weaknesses causing some current-generation iPhones to bend.[/QUOTE]

Er, source? The hysteria from a macrumors forum doesn't mean there is actually a bend problem. Apple said only a handful (of millions) had contacted them about it.

This is very similar to the 4's supposed antenna problem, which Apple debunked during a special press event, showing that all internal antenna phones suffer when wrapped tightly by watery meatbags (hands), and that AT&T's dropped call data showed no problem. This is why they didn't change the 4's design as they continued to sell it for years. The hysteria rotated out of the news cycle and life went on.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Wish Apple would make the 4.7" size the same technology that is in the 5.5" model - Camera, 1080p screen among others!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    You have GOT to up the volume of your podcast. It's already marginal, but if I can't even hear it…? I had the volumes on my iPhone and Bluetooth earbuds maxed out. Don't have this problem with MacBreak Weekly.