Trader Joe's grocery chain preparing to accept Apple Pay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

I hope they also enable the credit card chip readers on those fancy new devices. As of last week, they hadn't at my local store, even though they've had the new equipment for months.

Yeah, I was surprised about that too. Probably something they will just add to them the night before, when they implement the new systems. My local Trader Joe's only got the new POSTs last month, and I was disappointed to see they were the same "spongy" type keys that they have at the Ralph's grocery chain. Pressing the buttons feels very unsteady. But that will be a thing of the past with ?Pay, so now I'm much happier! I wonder when Ralph's will get around to accepting ?Pay? I don't shop much there, but at least once a month I pick up a few things Trader Joe's doesn't have.

• Reply 22 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

FWIW, Trader Joe's is actually owned by (or at least parent company is) Aldi, based in Germany. I looked it up and was surprised to find that Aldi has owned them since 1979. This would explain why some of my relatives traveling in Germany reported finding some items at the grocery store there with the Trader Joe's brand packaging.

(I like Trader Joe's--I go there all the time.)

Coulombe sold Trader Joe's in 1979 but he remained CEO and little was changed in the way it was operated until after he retired in 1988. That's when the chain was expanded outside of California.

• Reply 23 of 55
    I used Apple Pay at the Trader Joe's in Mount Pleasant, SC and it worked flawlessly. The cashier seemed surprised that it worked, but when I got home I verified through my online bank access that the charge did indeed show up on my account. Yay, another place that accepts Apple Pay!
  • Reply 24 of 55
    flaneur wrote: »
    Good news. Trader Joe's was such a holdout on barcode readers, I was wondering how soon they would move into "airpay" POS systems of any kind.

Once Trader Joes realized that ?Pay was 100% certified organic, they were in.... In addition Apple recycles all their bits and bytes...it was a natural fit.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nice.

their dark chocolate peanut butter cups are AMAZING

They were walking up and down, giving those out to people waiting in line last time I was there.

Yes, they're good.

• Reply 26 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Once Trader Joes realized that ?Pay was 100% certified organic, they were in.... In addition Apple recycles all their bits and bytes...it was a natural fit.

In keeping with tradition, once everybody starts to like using Apple Pay at TJ's, they will discontinue it.

• Reply 27 of 55
    It's safe to assume that if a store has upgraded from the ingenico POS terminals with resistive touch screens, to the giant Verifone terminals with capacitive touch screens, those stores now support contactless payment. The Verifone terminals have NFC readers inside.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    rredapple wrote: »
    I work for Trader Joe's. We go live with ?pay on Wednesday May 20th. Company wide.
    Used my watch at our local Traders a couple days ago - glad to see them not only bring in NFC, but also showing the ?Pay logo. Worked well and good samples that day - all in all a good day :~}
  • Reply 29 of 55
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    cool cool cool, WILL on monday when I get back from EUROPE, which by the way i had my non chiip and pin cc not accepted at various locations. APPLE PAY LEAP FROGS CHIP AND PIN AND IS MORE SECURE
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theirongiant View Post

It's safe to assume that if a store has upgraded from the ingenico POS terminals with resistive touch screens, to the giant Verifone terminals with capacitive touch screens, those stores now support contactless payment. The Verifone terminals have NFC readers inside.

Right, but are the chip readers built into those POSTs, or is there some add on equipment for those credit cards, once such cards actually start getting issued in any significant numbers, which I assume will be closer to October 15. I just had a Capital One credit card replaced last month (expiring 2018) which did not have a chip embedded into it, which I thought was quite strange so close to the October deadline.

EDIT: Oh I see, the chip card reader is on the underside of the POST. It's barely visible at the bottom center -- no wonder I didn't see it.

Ralph's http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-880/

TJ's http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-925/

That's kind of a problem, given I missed it and I was looking for it. It's going to be very frustrating for a lot of people who have never used a chip & pin card before, and the clerks who will have to show them where they can stick it (haha). I'm going to try to insert a credit card into the slot the next time I'm in, just to see how easy it is -- which it doesn't look ...

Americans are going to absolutely hate chip & pin. I've got friends who grumble about having to sign a receipt for purchases under a certain amount. Imagine locating the slot, sliding in a card, entering a pin, and then having to sign. ?Pay is going to look pretty good once that starts happening.

EDIT: It does appear that TJs will have to add something to the POST in order to offer contact-less payment as seen in this photo. And in such a vertical orientation, I can only imagine how much more difficult inserting ones chip & pin card will be.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/59097/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 31 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Those VeriFone terminals seem to be the indicator: I've seen those appear in a couple of chains I use and then Apple Pay is a go.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Raley's near me for those same terminals months ago and no NFC right now!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    mchumm3rmchumm3r Posts: 17member
    The CVS here in Brookline MA had it's POS to the same terminal as the one in Trader Joe's a half block away. Both happened the same week. Wonder if CVS is breaking away from the CurrentC madness.

Oh and TJ here started accepting Apple Pay this week.
  • Reply 34 of 55

Luv shopping at Trader Joe's and can't wait to use ApplePay there. Albertsons is also on the list to take ApplePay soon. Tried it at a terminal yesterday and it worked! 

• Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

I hope they also enable the credit card chip readers on those fancy new devices. As of last week, they hadn't at my local store, even though they've had the new equipment for months.

Unfortunately chip and pin has ben hacked , it is not as secure as its touted to be! The most secure method is network tokenization like Apple implemented

• Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theirongiant View Post

Chip and PIN is vulnerable , apparently the encoding is weak, The latest vulnerability which has been published allows hackers to hack the chip and PIN system. The flaw is in the random number generator which is used by millions of users each day. Fair to say it better than the former POS readers though

• Reply 37 of 55
    Used Watch to pay at TJ''s today a mile from Apple HQ, Verifone terminal showed Apple Pay logo and all. Previous time there the same terminal didn't accept Apple Pay. OTOH, Apple Pay no longer works across the street at Home Depot and it used to for a while. Win some, lose some.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    In mid-October, new NFC readers will be coming to most U.S. Retailers thanks to the rollout of EMV inspired change in fraud liability standards. At that time or before, Apple Pay and Google Pay should REALLY take off. This will help feather the nest for the integrated Apple Watch to really hit its stride as the Christmas gift of choice for Holiday 2015. (Why else do you think Apple Watch comes packaged in such a beautiful gift box? Also, Apple Watch%u2019s taptic doodles and heart beat sharing encourages sales in pairs to couples.)
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

In mid-October, new NFC readers will be coming to most U.S. Retailers thanks to the rollout of EMV inspired change in fraud liability standards. At that time or before, Apple Pay and Google Pay should REALLY take off. 

Not really. According to the vice president of risk management policy for the American Bankers Association, in terms of rollout, they expect about 50 percent of banks and retailers to be completely transitioned over. The estimates are that by the end of 2015, approximately 70 percent of credit cards and 40 percent of debit cards in the U.S. --1.1 billion cards total -- will support EMV. There's going to be varied customer experiences over the first year, year-and-a-half of this transition. Moreover, they estimate it will take up to three years to achieve true chip and pin, with chip and signature being the most common experience for most consumers. ATMs won't be required until 2016, and Pay at the pump readers won't accommodate them until 2017. Also, even though merchants will be liable for any fraudulent transactions if they haven't upgraded, if the bank hasn’t issued a chip and PIN card to the customer, the bank would be liable. Considering by the end of 2015 only about 70% of credit cards and 40% of debit cards will be issued, and realistically it will be less, there's no great rush for many merchants to be in full compliance until well into 2016. I was just issued a new CapitalOne credit card last month to replace my expiring one, and it does not have a chip. In fact many experts think that during the 2-3 year transition, that this threat of liability shift compliance will not happen and liability for the merchant will remain mostly as is, which could lead to a few holdouts past the October deadline.

So I wouldn't expect to see ?Pay really take off until after the iPhone 6S comes out, the launch for which will likely focus on how many ?Pay partners Apple has amassed, how ubiquitous the accommodation has become by retailers, and the upgrade by many previous generation iPhone owners to NFC capable handsets. Chip and Signature is going to be much more cumbersome and time consuming than the current swipe and signature, so until consumers are forced into using the new system, they won't see the benefit to using ?Pay in the same way. 

• Reply 40 of 55
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    HOORAY !!!

I got an e-mail 6 weeks ago from T-Joe's that vowed they 'will not be implementing Apple Pay' accross there stores... Har... Har... Har...

Karma's (competition) a bitch, ain't it !!