Microsoft Edge

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited May 2015

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like the worst possible name for a web browser.  I guess they are literally trying to be edgy?

I don't think any other company besides Microsoft could be so tin-eared as to ditch a reasonably good development name (Spartan) for something as unpleasant as "Edge".  

I'm not really a hater, I wish they would get their act together, but Microsoft never seems to miss an opportunity to showcase their cluelessness...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow, it's just a name. The name Edge also fits in with their naming scheme, does the name Surface or even Angle, ring any bells, you get it Surface, Edge, Angle, etc. I personally think Microsoft has been doing a fairly good job of lately. I'm running the development version of Windows 10 and I'm liking what I've seen so far. The Surface, although criticized here for simply not being an Apple product is still a really good machine none the less, design, display, build quality, speed, pretty much everything about itis spot on, Windows 10 will just make it even better. Their new HoloLens holographic headset is simply amazing and frankly has made me excited to the point where I can't actually wait to get my hands on one. Their online Office web apps as well as the versions for iPad and Android are all really solid pieces of software. Even when I'm using my new Macbook I prefer using http://office.com over their desktop version. I have never, ever been a fan of Microsoft but what their doing lately in both software and hardware has definitely been a worthy endeavour and I'm actually intrigued to see what they'll be releasing next. So instead on focusing on what they choose to name their products, let's talk about the actual technology instead, it's a whole lot more interesting.

Edit: I copied and pasted in the wrong text.

• Reply 2 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Edge starts with E. The new Edge logo is an E. Internet Explorer’s logo is an E.

They’re literally so terrified that people won’t comprehend what their browser is that they abandoned having a unified (and logical) naming convention just to retain the worst logo possible. These are the people for whom Microsoft makes products.

I still use Safari 5 in Windows 10. :p

• Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Edge starts with E. The new Edge logo is an E. Internet Explorer’s logo is an E.

They’re literally so terrified that people won’t comprehend what their browser is that they abandoned having a unified (and logical) naming convention just to retain the worst logo possible. These are the people for whom Microsoft makes products.

I still use Safari 5 in Windows 10. :p

Again it's just a name, I think you guys are looking to much into it. Also it's unified and fits with their new naming schemes or did you also miss things like Surface, Cube or Angle. It's no different than Apple using silly big cat names for their OS and their browser is ironically named after the trip you go on to kill those animals, hhmm, foreshadowing? Wow, you still use Safari 5, gosh I hated that browser. I use Opera for every OS I use, though I also do like Maxthon. If a browser isn't crossed platform I don't touch it
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Surface, Cube or Angle.

Wh…

Surface. Cube. Angle. Edge.

Geez, can’t wait for Infinite Flat Plane of Constant Gravitational Force.

• Reply 5 of 10
    [QUOTE name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/186140/microsoft-edge#post_2724264"]

Wh…

Surface. [URL=http://blogs.microsoft.com/next/2014/09/24/microsoft-cube-decibel-dance-music/]Cube.[/URL] [URL=https://msopentech.com/blog/2013/12/20/msopentechcontributestoangle/]Angle.[/URL] [URL=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/browser-for-doing]Edge.[/URL]

Geez, can’t wait for Infinite Flat Plane of Constant Gravitational Force.
    [/QUOTE]
    I forgot the Microsoft Wedge and Arc. So now we have the Surface, Wedge, Angle, Arc and Edge. So since Microsoft is now using geometry terms for their product names, I'm going to list some more potential names that way we can make fun of now. Please add anymore that I've missed, no shapes like for example: rectangle, triangle, square, etc.

Point, Line, segment, perpendicular, obtuse, vertex, radius, scalene, isosceles, equilateral, perpendicular, diameter, circumference, symmetric, polygon, plane, glide, concave, axis ........
  • Reply 6 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Glide would be a decent name for a mouse.  And Vertex has a nice ring to it, could be the name for a drawing tool, like a stylus.  Not sure about any of the others.

• Reply 7 of 10
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Point, Line, segment, perpendicular, obtuse, vertex, radius, scalene, isosceles, equilateral, perpendicular, diameter, circumference, symmetric, polygon, plane, glide, concave, axis ........

Microsoft Obtuse: Illiterate Edition!

• Reply 8 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    How about [I]trapezoidal[/I]?

Edge. The one from U2 fell off the other day:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32751548

Others will have different association with this word. I think it's stupid. Then again, Steve's idea for [I]MacMan[/I] was too.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    philboogie wrote: »
    How about trapezoidal?

Edge. The one from U2 fell off the other day:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32751548

Others will have different association with this word. I think it's stupid. Then again, Steve's idea for MacMan was too.

Ruuuuuuunnnn, it's MacMan and he's hungry .............

apple%20inc%20microsoft%20windows%20pacman%20logos%201280x1024%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperto.com_52.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    Ruuuuuuunnnn, it's MacMan and he's hungry .............

[image]

That is too funny!

Yes, well, fortunately there are (were) other people in the company putting down some of Steve's ideas.