Apple's Cook references Steve Jobs, morals in commencement address

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
During his commencement address at George Washington University on Sunday, Apple CEO Tim Cook told graduates to follow their own North Star, saying there need not be a choice between "doing good and doing well."

Source: GW Today

Throughout his 20-minute speech Cook referenced the American civil rights movement, a universal quest for equality, chasing dreams while at the same time contributing to the greater good, and of course, Apple.

With impassioned rhetoric, Cook implored graduates to follow their metaphorical North Star as he did upon joining Apple. Before taking up at Cupertino, Cook said he was adrift. He compartmentalized his personal and business lives thinking the two were incompatible.

Meeting Steve Jobs upended his assumptions, however. Jobs told him that through hard work with an eye on improving not only your life, but the lives of others, Apple could help change the world. Cook, a staunch supporter of civil rights, explained the bearings of his moral compass were highly influenced by a childhood spent in Alabama during the 1970s, a tumultuous period for the South.

Relating back to the graduating class, Cook said it is a false choice to pit financial success against one's moral obligations. The challenge, he said, is "to find a job that pays the rent, puts food on the table and lets you do what is right, and good, and just."

Along with anecdotes from his early life, Cook tossed in Apple's dedication to the environment, education and workplace equality as examples of bringing personal convictions to the office.

"History rare yields to one person," Cook said, "but think and never forget what happens when it does. That can be you. That should be you. That must be you."

Cook wrapped up by taking a picture of the gathered graduates with his iPhone, saying it's "the best view in the world."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

I liked the opening joke too. I think it's because there was an element of seriousness to it.

• Reply 2 of 11
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I liked the opening joke too. I think it's because there was an element of seriousness to it.

Not every company CEO sincerely advocates for and personally uses his/her company's products. When it happens, it's a very good indicator. Sure it was a joke, but I think he was indeed sincere in wanting all those who didn't own iPhones to actually take action in whatever manner to recycle whatever else they had.

• Reply 3 of 11
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Good speech. The letter from Birmingham jail by Dr King is one of my favorite. Thanks Tim, for an inspiration speech even though it is little dry. But who can top SJ's Stanford commencement speech.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    libdemlibdem Posts: 36member

I was thereGreat speech.Though messed up with the traffic.Of course,the re-enactment later in the day didn't  help things.

• Reply 5 of 11
    Your move, J.K. Shin. What do you stand for?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Ha, as my daughter said, GW is full of ass-clowns, for the most part.

"Welcome To The Machine" Pink Floyd.

This after the China propaganda machine tour.

Computers for the rest of us? It used to be so.

• Reply 7 of 11
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Sounds very motivational. People should be encouraged to succeed, and accomplish things that really matter with their life.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pfisher wrote: »

Looks like your daughter is taking after you. Nice work.

That aside, you're babbling, trying to get something negative out.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I watched this yesterday and I must say it didn't do much for me. Why are we talking about George Wallace and Jimmy Carter at a graduation ceremony? The only good part was when Cook joked about sending your non-iPhone to the isle for recycling. I just don't think Cook is a great public speaker. Steve's commencement speech was much better.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

I shouldn't quote another person's opinion without facts. I apologize.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

s