Google Search designer Jon Wiley moves to lead role on virtual reality tech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
The lead designer on Google Search has taken up a new position as the lead designer on Cardboard, the company's low-cost, smartphone-based virtual reality headset project.

Jon Wiley's jump was first revealed on Monday via his Twitter profile, and the move was later confirmed by Google to Fast Company. No official reason for the change has been given, nor is there any indication of who might replace Wiley, or even exactly when he departed.

Cardboard is an extremely simple product on the surface, simply a frame for a smartphone made out of cardboard, velcro, and plastic. Google has also developed an SDK for developers however, and a number of Cardboard-ready apps can be downloaded from Google Play.

One possibility is that Google has significant plans for virtual reality, and that Wiley's transition is the first step towards developing a serious commercial product. Companies such as Sony, Samsung, HTC, and Facebook's Oculus are all making major investments in VR, now that the technology is powerful and affordable enough to be practical.

In February, Apple opened up a handful of VR-related job positions, suggesting that it too is exploring possible products. That same month the company secured a patent on a headset using an iPhone as a display, in some respects similar to Cardboard or Samsung's Gear VR.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Looks like a homemade View-Master.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Looks like Google's mantra has changed from "Don't Be Evil" to "Recycle Your Waste".
  • Reply 3 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

:D
    As opposed to a real View-master.
    http://www.geek.com/news/the-new-view-master-is-a-30-google-cardboard-headset-1615735/
  • Reply 4 of 17
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    It would be awesome if this was also the box it was shipped in, simply folded inside out.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

And the evil empire has already added it as if it were exactly that. (BTW I knew you meant the original Vew-Master to some new iteration).

• Reply 6 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

IMO, VR is still a dead end. Augmented Reality (AR) has a bit more promise, but none of these things will take off until the glasses (or visor) is as light as a regular pair of glasses.

• Reply 7 of 17
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quick Developers, flock in your droves to write for a device...which nobody wants to pay for!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Quick Developers, flock in your droves to write for a device...which nobody wants to pay for!

Hooray! Now I can stick a giant phone on my head and spin around like a crazy person playing games inexpensively. Excelsior!

• Reply 9 of 17
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

As opposed to a real View-master.

http://www.geek.com/news/the-new-view-master-is-a-30-google-cardboard-headset-1615735/

Is that a real ViewMaster or a Sears ViewMaster? Apologies to Frank Zappa et Cosmik Debris & Camarillo Brillo.

• Reply 10 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Is that a real ViewMaster or a Sears ViewMaster? Apologies to Frank Zappa et Cosmik Debris & Camarillo Brillo.
    It's actually Mattel's new View-master using Google Cardboard tech. Makes sense, huh?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

It's actually Mattel's new View-master using Google Cardboard tech. Makes sense, huh?

Way back in the 60's it used to be said "If it costs like hell it must be Mattel!".

I did read about the Mattel 'product' and do agree that it makes sense. I just couldn't help but be reminded of Zappa's lyrics "Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?" also.

• Reply 12 of 17

Way back in the 60's it used to be said "If it costs like hell it must be Mattel!".

I did read about the Mattel 'product' and do agree that it makes sense. I just couldn't help but be reminded of Zappa's lyrics "Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?" also.

You need to change your username to 'Damn_I'm_Old' :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You need to change your username to 'Damn_I'm_Old' image

Try as I will I just can't slow this thing down -- still feel like I'm in my 30's but my Drivers Lic. sez 50's (I also have a good memory as I was in 1st grade when my Dad said that).

• Reply 14 of 17

Try as I will I just can't slow this thing down -- still feel like I'm in my 30's but my Drivers Lic. sez 50's (I also have a good memory as I was in 1st grade when my Dad said that).

I know exactly how you. It really stings the first time a young lady calls you an 'old man'. :lol:
  • Reply 15 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    What gives with this strange company Google and why isn't Wallstreet punishing them for nonsense like this? Apple needs to enter mobile search and knee cap them.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You need to change your username to 'Damn_I'm_Old' :lol:

Oh that's bad!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    maltamalta Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It would be awesome if this was also the box it was shipped in, simply folded inside out.

It depends on who made it. (it is publicly available for anyone to make and sell)

The one I got you open and flip all the pieces around. 

Just a couple of bucks. Surprised me how well it worked for a cheap thing. The 3d images look great and head movement tracks. The Zombie shooter is fun. Everyone in the office had to try the roller coaster. The virtual tour demo of The Palace of Versailles is cool too.

But I don't think cardboard will be anything other than a "neat toy".