Apple's 50,000-square-foot retail store in Dubai to open in August

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
Apple's largest retail store yet, and its first in the Middle East, is on track to open in Dubai's Mall of the Emirates this summer, a new report reveals.

The new Apple Store is expected to open in August of 2015, according to Khaleej Times, citing unnamed sources. The retail space is expected to be about 50,000 square feet in total, with a main entrance on the second level of the mall's new Fashion District.

Word of Apple's United Arab Emirates store was first revealed last year, but with the anticipated opening fast approaching, details are beginning to solidify. It is also expected that a second UAE Apple Store will open in Abu Dhabi's Yas Mall at some point in the future.

Mall of the Emirates is a 2.4-million-square-foot mega-mall that is home to over 700 retail stores. It also features Dubai's famous indoor ski resort.

While it lacks a brick-and-mortar retail presence, Apple has maintained an online store in the UAE since 2011. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook paid a visit to the country last year, visiting with UAE Prime Minister Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in Abu Dhabi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Looks like a neat interior for an Apple Store ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Soon to be Apple's highest grossing store
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    red oak wrote: »
    Soon to be Apple's highest grossing store

Very likely true.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Very likely true.

I'm not entirely sure about that. Population of Dubai only around 2 mill.

And some of those are foreign workers, unlikely to be shopping for any Apple products.

Compare that to the highest grossing Apple store in the world, which is fifth ave last I heard. The population of New York State is ten times larger, at 20 million, NYC is around 9 million, and with a ton of tourists visiting. Also, it being 24-7-365 gives it an advantage over other Apple stores, since it's generating sales around the clock.

• Reply 5 of 11
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    apple ][ wrote: »

And some of those are foreign workers, unlikely to be shopping for any Apple products.

You miss the immense tourist traffic. This is the world's largest shopping Mall (/centre for readers in UK).
  • Reply 6 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

You miss the immense tourist traffic. This is the world's largest shopping Mall (/centre for readers in UK).

I'm sure that the store will do well, I'm just not sure if it'll be #1.

• Reply 7 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Compare that to the highest grossing Apple store in the world, which is fifth ave last I heard. The population of New York State is ten times larger, at 20 million, NYC is around 9 million, and with a ton of tourists visiting. Also, it being 24-7-365 gives it an advantage over other Apple stores, since it's generating sales around the clock.

I'm guessing the per capita expenditures will be much higher at the Dubai store.

• Reply 8 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I'm rather amazed that the store is as huge as it is.  It's not like Apple has a gigantic product-line to warrant such a massive store.  I guess in this case the store being in Dubai, it's more about presentation.

Beautiful store though.

• Reply 9 of 11
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

I wonder how Dubai treats gay people?

• Reply 10 of 11
    kicsikekicsike Posts: 17member
    Here goes the arab boycott of Israel out of the window. Many Apple products have results of research or even parts manufactured by Apple in Israel. I seriously doubt Dubai will restrict Apple to products not containing parts designed and/or manufactured in Israel.
    One example: the majority of intel processors are designed and manufactured in Israel.
    That would make all Apple computers, from the Mac mini to the Mac Pro "ineligible" to sell in Dubai.
    I am 100% sure all Apple computers will be there for sale in Dubai.

This boycott is nothing else, but one of convenience.
    "We boycott all products having parts designed/manufactured" in Israel if that doesn't hurt us, but we will not boycott any of those products if that would hurt us."
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »

NYC also had the largest amount of wealthy people (worth at least $30 million). The Fifth Ave store is smack dab in the middle of all that wealth.