Apple adds new Lightning dock for iPhone 6, 6 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Alongside updates to its MacBook Pro and Retina iMac lines, Apple on Tuesday released a small but long-anticipated accessory for iPhone owners with an all-new Lightning dock designed to work with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.




The new Lightning dock features a flat surface with a small protrusion that holds the Lightning connector, a design that should make it compatible with most cases. Previous iterations of Apple's iPhone docks have used recesses to add support, making it impossible to keep the iPhone in a case while using them.

Apple's online store lists shipping times for the Lightning dock at one to three days. It does not appear to be available in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores just yet, but customers can have it shipped to their local store for pickup.

The iPhone Lightning Dock is available now for $39 directly from Apple.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 37
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

    Yay! 8-)

  • Reply 2 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    My entire iPhone 6 Plus and possibly a case supported by simply the Lightning connector? And it's already tilted (per the product photos on Apple) so there'd be a constant backward pressure both to the mount and the phone's port...

    Color me skeptical.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,494member
    Frick me, FINALLY! Why oh why do they wait with the release of their docks? I had to wait months for the 5 as well. Well, happy camper here!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Works for me.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    My only issue with the apple docks is that you can't plug in your headphones for handsfree.

    I purchased a dock that is slightly elevated so the headphone jack is still accessible, it holds the phone with minimal support, while it hasn't harmed the phone, I'm still concerned that it's going to do some damage.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    Now I don't have the latest MacBook Pro :(
  • Reply 7 of 37
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ECats View Post



    My only issue with the apple docks is that you can't plug in your headphones for handsfree.



    I purchased a dock that is slightly elevated so the headphone jack is still accessible, it holds the phone with minimal support, while it hasn't harmed the phone, I'm still concerned that it's going to do some damage.



    Looks like there is an audio connector at the back

  • Reply 8 of 37
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

    Was waiting for this, but might end up going with the Twelve South HiRise dock instead: https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-iphone5-ipad-mini

  • Reply 9 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    WHY DID THIS TAKE SO LONG. WHY HAVE I HAD TO LAY MY PHONE DOWN ON CARDBOARD FOR THE LAST EIGHT MONTHS?!

  • Reply 10 of 37
    wermaltwermalt Posts: 5member

    Great invention!

  • Reply 11 of 37
    @ jfc1138:

    I agree. I would not buy a dock like this. But I can understand why they went this way. No point trying to accommodate for all bumpers and cases.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    ronstarkronstark Posts: 81member
    Not too well thought out like the Apple Watch. Beautiful design. But, totally unnecessary $40 expenditure to charge the phone. Thing is I began limiting the accessories I buy for the iPhone because the design spec changes on a yearly basis and I'm left with the "junk" from iPhones past. Don't we all have patch plugs and cords from the larger connector to the smaller, longer, shorter, etc?

    I get tired of tossing tech.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,382member

    I'll still use a "non-integrated" stand (I have a $5.00 mini-beanbag and an old mini-easel that used to hold something else) and a cable to be able to watch videos in landscape - in the kitchen, on my desk, back seat of the car, etc., etc.



    The rest of you are free to enjoy paying $40 to show off your phone in portrait mode.

  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ronstark View Post



    Not too well thought out like the Apple Watch. Beautiful design. But, totally unnecessary $40 expenditure to charge the phone. Thing is I began limiting the accessories I buy for the iPhone because the design spec changes on a yearly basis and I'm left with the "junk" from iPhones past. Don't we all have patch plugs and cords from the larger connector to the smaller, longer, shorter, etc?



    I get tired of tossing tech.



    Looks like this will be usable by the iPhone 7, so...

  • Reply 15 of 37
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 457member
    this dock will work with any lightning iPhone, not just the 6/6
  • Reply 16 of 37
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I've been on apples site but it doesn't say... Does anyone know if this dock stops over charging the iPhone once charging reaches 100%? I'm sure it's the same as past docks but I've never owned one. That's my only concern. I don't want my iPhone to continue to charge
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ECats View Post



    My only issue with the apple docks is that you can't plug in your headphones for handsfree.



    I purchased a dock that is slightly elevated so the headphone jack is still accessible, it holds the phone with minimal support, while it hasn't harmed the phone, I'm still concerned that it's going to do some damage.



    All Apple branded iPhone docks have included an aux jack out.

  • Reply 18 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ronstark wrote: »
    Not too well thought out like the Apple Watch. Beautiful design. But, totally unnecessary $40 expenditure to charge the phone.

    not if youre a person who likes using a dock. i dock my phone during the day while streaming music to BT headphones -- and controlling it w/ my Watch. my desk is clean and neat. it's a sweet solution.
    Thing is I began limiting the accessories I buy for the iPhone because the design spec changes on a yearly basis and I'm left with the "junk" from iPhones past. Don't we all have patch plugs and cords from the larger connector to the smaller, longer, shorter, etc?

    I get tired of tossing tech.

    huh? why would you need to toss this dock every year? looks to me it will work w/ any variation of any lightening-equipped iphone.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bigpics wrote: »
    The rest of you are free to enjoy paying $40 to show off your phone in portrait mode.

    you seem to be injecting your own narrative into someone else's life experiences. theres no one to "show off" my phone to. and in today's day, no one would be impressed by a smartphone any longer....it's not 2007.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    razormaid wrote: »
    I've been on apples site but it doesn't say... Does anyone know if this dock stops over charging the iPhone once charging reaches 100%? I'm sure it's the same as past docks but I've never owned one. That's my only concern. I don't want my iPhone to continue to charge

    the dock doesnt control charging, the phone does. the phone knows what it should do.
Sign In or Register to comment.