How Coherent Navigation can help Apple with location technology and talent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

"Apple already augments the built-in GPS on its devices in a number of ways. Wi-Fi positioning, tower multilateration, inertial navigation, and A-GPS are all in the company's arsenal. "

Apple also makes use of the GLONASS (GPS compatible) network.

Also, Galileo, Europe's global positioning system is taking off and gives a resolution of one meter (horizontal and vertical). That seems to be a better bet than iGPS.

Coherent Navigations has iGPS resolutions is in the centimeters.

• Reply 22 of 30
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Iridium satellites?!

Dear God, is someone still operating them? I thought their sole purpose was carrying buckets of (née) Motorola cash into space, so as to burn up on rentry and illuminate the egos of the CEOs responsible...

Ever heard of satellite telephone? Iridium is the definition of it.

• Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Coherent Navigations has iGPS resolutions is in the centimeters.

I wouldn't trust that, but Galileo paying customers also have cm resolution (the meter resolution is free for all).

• Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman1984 View Post

Apple is NOT building a self-driving car. They don't follow Google- they lead. Apple never has and never will copy Google- they will leapfrog them. Wait and see...

The best Apple could do is build a Tesla model III, but wait, someone else is already doing that.

• Reply 25 of 30
    "...centimeter-level accuracy, the ability to acquire a position fix in only a few seconds"

The implication is that Iridium can overcome GPS weaknesses to the centimeter level. Tell us how, please. I've seen the presentation. It's not going to happen.

"SBAS programs like WAAS are imperfect, however. They generally depend on a large network of ground stations in addition to satellites, and are ill-suited for non-aviation applications."

Wrong. SBAS's largest audience is non-aviation, and I'm not talking about consumer receivers. WAAS is 37 ground stations and leased transponders on three GEOs covering North America. A lot less expensive than Iridium, and well-funded. It doesn't work indoors (neither does GPS), but it will guide you accurately under a meter.

If anyone thinks Iridium is going to enable indoor nav, present your case.

In my opinion, Iridium doesn't offer a compelling enough argument in nav for anyone to develop a mainstream around it, high-precision or otherwise.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    I was told to never post anything that isn't praise for Apple on these forums because if one legitimately expresses concerns with Apple failures, bad Apple design, or tech problems you'll just get flamed by Apple Fanboys who believe Apple can do nothing wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    For GPS, there is one thing that is even more important than precision and coverage to Apple: power. For GPS to be fully useable in small wearable devices, like a watch, or on all the time in a cell phone, you need to lower the power requirements. There may be ways to use a GPS augmentation system to reduce power requirements on mobile devices. This would vastly increase the uses for GPS location technology.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    macman1984 wrote: »
    Apple is NOT building a self-driving car. They don't follow Google- they lead. Apple never has and never will copy Google- they will leapfrog them. Wait and see...

This has NOTHING to do with Goog. Not sure why you mentioned them.
    See what you started:
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    Apple is NOT building their own maps. They don't follow Google- they lead. Apple never has and never will copy Google- they will leapfrog them. Wait and see...

Apple is NOT building a search engine. They don't follow Google- they lead. Apple never has and never will copy Google- they will leapfrog them. Wait and see...

Apple is NOT building a special wearable OS. They don't follow Google- they lead. Apple never has and never will copy Google- they will leapfrog them. Wait and see...

Whoa wait a minute here.

Apple NEEDED to build it's own Maps after Goog copied iOS and created android.
    Apple wants nothing to do with that scumbag traitor.
    Apple dropped native Goog apps and will continue to distance itself from the non-trustworthy company.

Search. Where is the source that says Apple is building search?
    Again, Apple will continue to distance itself from a company's that betrayed them. They removed Giggle's native apps from iOS so don't doubt Apple will continue to replace them.
    Apples intention was not to copy the copycat but to distance itself from them.

Giggle KNEW, heck everyone knew the Watch was coming. C'mon man.
    The competition was desperate to beat Apple and gain traction first. They failed.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I would really like to see this tech added to Find My iPhone.

Last time I lost my iPod it said it was in the middle of my yard. I ended up finding it under the couch.

Even accuracy within a foot would help here.

If someone has your phone in the mall or you've dropped it somewhere in public you're screwed!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Sam Oliver I would like to email you if possible. I promise no junk, no promo stuff just valid interest in your great report. Than you. Richdear123