First Apple Watch update released: Watch OS 1.0.1 improves Siri, standing activities, calorie counti

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Apple on Tuesday released Watch OS 1.0.1, its first-ever software update for the newly released Apple Watch, addressing a myriad of bugs and issues, including improved performance for Siri, measuring standing activities, counting calories for indoor cycling and rowing, and more.

Watch OS 1.0.1 can be downloaded by opening the Apple Watch app on an iPhone and selecting My Watch, General, then Software Update. It is a 51.6-megabyte download.

The official release notes for Watch OS 1.0.1 state that it includes performance improvements and bug fixes. Specifically, the update improves performance for:
  • Siri
  • Measuring standing activity
  • Calculating calories for indoor cycling and rowing workouts
  • Distance and pace during outdoor walk and run workouts
  • Accessibility
  • Third-party apps
Apple also said that the update includes display support for new emoji characters. In addition, new language support is featured for:
  • Brazilian Portuguese
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • Swedish
  • Russian
  • Thai
  • Turkish

To install the update, Apple recommends that the Watch is in range of the user's iPhone, connected to its charger, and charged to at least 50 percent battery capacity.

Upon downloading the update from an iPhone, users will be prompted to accept or postpone the installation from the Apple Watch itself. After approving the install, the device shows the same progress indicator as the initial sync between iPhone and Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Samsung would have just released a new generation Gear.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Nice! Looking forward to future updates. As a 1.0 software on a 1.0 device, it has been remarkably solid.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Cool that they're already pushing out updates...good sign.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    This launch is still a major failure on Apple's part. I ordered on launch day and still waiting for my card to be charged. I am rarely critical of Apple. But until they can deliver on what they promised... They are on my shitlist.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Unless it has an update to fix heart rate monitoring for lifting weights and other "non-rythmic" exercises then I'm still not interested.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

With the exception of Accessibility (which I've had no issues with), all the rest are welcome and needed changes. They were lacking a bit. I am deeply impressed by how quickly it has been rolled out.

Can't wait to install the update.

(Add: Weird that I did not get a notification about this; wouldn't have known about this update unless I happened to be browsing AI).

• Reply 7 of 90
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    This launch is still a major failure on Apple's part. I ordered on launch day and still waiting for my card to be charged. I am rarely critical of Apple. But until they can deliver on what they promised... They are on my shitlist.

You should absolutely cancel the order and get a Galaxy Gear. I hear you can get those with no wait whatsoever! Pretty sure they have them at your local Walmart! Would hate for you to get a watch from some company on your shitlist! How dare Apple be so popular! Yep, Galaxy Gear is the watch for you!
  • Reply 8 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Unless it has an update to fix heart rate monitoring for lifting weights and other "non-rythmic" exercises then I'm still not interested.

I don't follow. It monitors your heart rate regularly (and therefore, activities that increase your heart rate -- relative to the resting rate -- should be reflected). What exactly is the problem? Can you be more specific?

• Reply 9 of 90
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Pleased they seem to be doing something about the measurement of standing activity.

I've had multiple days where it has given me credit for standing more hours than I've actually been wearing the watch.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member

I ordered a 38mm sport on the 14th of May, I got a shipping notice on the 15th, and it will arrive tomorrow (yesterday was a Holiday for us in Canada).

It appears that delivery is highly model (and country) dependant.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't follow. It monitors your heart rate regularly (and therefore, activities that increase your heart rate -- relative to the resting rate -- should be reflected). What exactly is the problem? Can you be more specific?

I've found that if you don't wear the watch uncomfortably tight (at least, what I consider too tight), the heart rate monitor is completely pointless.  I get that it needs to be tight to your wrist to work properly, and that I don't wear the watch that way, so I'd like to be able to turn it off completely, so at least it's not wasting battery life taking false readings.

• Reply 12 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've found that if you don't wear the watch uncomfortably tight (at least, what I consider too tight), the heart rate monitor is completely pointless.  I get that it needs to be tight to your wrist to work properly, and that I don't wear the watch that way, so I'd like to be able to turn it off completely, so at least it's not wasting battery life taking false readings.

This has not been a problem for me. (I have the Milanese Loop).

I did notice, however, that in the Workout app, the BPM takes a few minutes to settle into the correct number. One it does that, it seems to adjust real-time.

• Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Pleased they seem to be doing something about the measurement of standing activity.

I've had multiple days where it has given me credit for standing more hours than I've actually been wearing the watch.

And my problem is that I stand all day at work but it still yells at me for not standing.  I have to go walk around for a minute or two each hour for it to believe that I'm actually standing. 

• Reply 14 of 90
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    I'm glad they're pushing out updates this fast as well. I love the Apple Watch. My phone doesn't even vibrate anymore, it's all defaulted to my wrist. I love it so much. Taptic Feedback was a great idea, and battery life is WAY better than they said. I have the 42mm Space Gray Sport with black band that I got on the 24th and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Can't wait till native apps! Strange, people have been complaining about lag with location based apps but mine don't lag at all... Doesn't take anytime to pull my location.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

x2. This was my first ever pre-order/launch order and I've used Apple products for over two decades. What a f*cking failure based on the expectations that Apple themselves set. I ordered on launch day and mine has yet to ship. Still "processing".

• Reply 16 of 90
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

What was the estimated ship date when you ordered?

• Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I ordered a 38mm sport on the 14th of May, I got a shipping notice on the 15th, and it will arrive tomorrow (yesterday was a Holiday for us in Canada).

It appears that delivery is highly model (and country) dependant.

I thought and still think this, too.

I believe the Sport white band Apple Watch was the most shipped to customers on April 24th in the USA.

(And possibly the blue band since I could have pre-ordered that one as a developer. I sometimes think I should have pre-ordered that second Watch to test apps communicating between the watches. Oh well.)

I ordered the 42mm white band and a friend ordered the 38mm white band.

My arrival date jumped from June to April 24th.

• Reply 18 of 90
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member

I thought and still think this, too.

I believe the Sport white band Apple Watch was the most shipped to customers on April 24th in the USA.

(And possibly the blue band since I could have pre-ordered that one as a developer. I sometimes think I should have pre-ordered that second Watch to test apps communicating between the watches. Oh well.)

I ordered the 42mm white band and a friend ordered the 38mm white band.

My arrival date jumped from June to April 24th.

I also noticed that my shipment originated in Canada, so it looks like they have pre-allocated stocks in different countries. A lot of the 38mm models have shorter ship times in Canada bs the U.S., so they may have overestimated demand here and they are sitting on extra stock of the smaller model.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    roake wrote: »
    You should absolutely cancel the order and get a Galaxy Gear. I hear you can get those with no wait whatsoever! Pretty sure they have them at your local Walmart! Would hate for you to get a watch from some company on your shitlist! How dare Apple be so popular! Yep, Galaxy Gear is the watch for you!

Actually he can also get a Moto360 at costco they have thousands of the cardboard sheets you take up to the casheir and they will give you one to take home.

I do agree I generally do not like waiting for something I buy, but Apple did say they would delivery between the 13th and the 27th of may and they hit the 13th and it worked as promise.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Michaeloftroy you didn't say what time you ordered on launch day. I ordered mine at 4 minutes into the ordering and got it on the 24th. Cancel your order so people that appreciate quality can get one.