Apple starts advertising Watch as part of connected iOS, Mac ecosystem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
Apple updated its online storefront on Tuesday with fresh imagery and text touting so-called Continuity features that interconnect iOS, Mac and now Apple Watch devices.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple is placing emphasis on software integration across its major platforms, highlighting inter-device operability between flagship iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch products. Specifically, Apple Watch owners can transfer calls, messages, emails and more to a paired iPhone.

In what appears to be a nod to Apple Watch's unique blue fluoroelastomer Sport Band, the online store boasts a cool blue color scheme with iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 screens displaying ocean themed backgrounds.

Apple also cleaned up the store's layout to match other Apple.com product pages. For example, instead of setting off iPhone, iPad and Mac into separate boxes, the site now features large device images that cascade from one product to the next against a stark white background. Onscreen text has been pared down to device names only and is executed in a thinner font compared to previous versions. The lone exception is Apple Watch, which uses a graphic done up Apple's San Francisco typeface.

Apple has touted Handoff as a core Apple Watch capability, but today's Online Apple Store update is one of the first instances Watch was included as an integral part of the company's portable device ecosystem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Mmm - great they're advertising. Shame we can't even pre-order it yet here in NZ. Thanks Apple Australia! As for an actual Apple Store, we'll line up behind Kalgoorlie%u2026 still, off to Sydney in a week so I might actually get to peer at one in a glass case...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless View Post

Mmm - great they're advertising. Shame we can't even pre-order it yet here in NZ. Thanks Apple Australia! As for an actual Apple Store, we'll line up behind Kalgoorlie%u2026 still, off to Sydney in a week so I might actually get to peer at one in a glass case...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=apple+watch

• Reply 3 of 7
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    You mean my Motorola smartwatch and Samsung smartphone running Google Android won't really do much with my HP laptop running Microsoft Windows?

:D
  • Reply 4 of 7
    This is could easily supplant "it just works" as Apple's killer feature. The continuity between devices is one of the biggest reasons I never break from Apple's ecosystem when getting a new device.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is could easily supplant "it just works" as Apple's killer feature. The continuity between devices is one of the biggest reasons I never break from Apple's ecosystem when getting a new device.

Yep. And things like Handoff do "just work" for me. Love love love that I can be doing something on my phone and easily pick it up on my iPad. I want that functionality for all 3rd party apps too.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

I keep recalling Steve's original OS X keynote in 2001(?), when he said they were betting Apple's future on it. Not merely prescience, but the beginning of Apple's consistent, persistent, and unifying mission to create the best products. Love how Tim picked up that guidon so adeptly.

• Reply 7 of 7
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. And things like Handoff do "just work" for me. Love love love that I can be doing something on my phone and easily pick it up on my iPad. I want that functionality for all 3rd party apps too.

I'm not a big fan of Hands Off when it was first announced but lately I found myself using it more and more. Reading a website on a Mac and want to lying down on bed? Grab an iPad and swipe up on Lock Screen. It's that simple.

Big fan of Continuity from day one though.