AppleInsider podcast tackles the latest 'iPhone 6s' & 'iPad Pro' rumors, Apple Watch water resistanc

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast is now available with detailed analysis of this week's news, including the latest round of "iPhone 6s" and "iPad Pro" rumors, a discussion of Apple's automotive ambitions, Tim Cook's trip to China, and more.

AppleInsider staff members Mikey Campbell, Shane Cole, and Victor Marks discuss the top stories:
  • "iPhone 6s" rumors: Rose gold color, more

• "iPad Pro" rumors: Silver nanowire touch panel, 2016 launch

• Sponsor: Caspar Mattresses

• Fiat and automotive intervention

• Legacy YouTube app vanishes from older Apple TV

• NYTNow app for iOS goes free

• Apple Watch's impressive water resistance

• Tim Cook goes to China
The show is available in iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider". Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mikeycampbell81 and @vmarks.

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider Podcast at [email protected] and follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    drunkzombiedrunkzombie Posts: 169member
    I get this error message in the native podcast app. It was automatically downloaded but it's not playing that way either.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/59075/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 2 of 14
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I get this error message in the native podcast app. It was automatically downloaded but it's not playing that way either.

Sorry about the error — it should be fixed now.

• Reply 3 of 14
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Many thanks to those at Apple who keep coming up with these amazing improvements to iPhones. The rush to buy this new iPhone 6s means that, on my mere writer's budget, I'll be able to buy an iPhone 6 a bit sooner. That said, I'm so delighted by my second-hand iPhone 5 inside its sturdy Otter case, that I have trouble imagining myself replacing it.

Two thumbs down, though, for castrating the Mac mini and turning it into little more that an overgrown Apple TV. As a writer, editor and small publisher is need a real working computer not a toy. Where I live in the hinderlands (Tim Cook's old college town). fixing a broken Mac can take a week or more, which I can't afford. I need a desktop that's powerful and easily serviced. I can't afford the power of a Mac Pro and nothing about the iMac is easy to repair.

Apple needs to keep the Mac mini designed as the working person's Mac for the same reason Ford and Chevy make sturdy pickup trucks. It's an important market.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I like how chatty and informal these podcasts are, but this one took things to a new level.

What happened to Stephen this week?

Also welcome back Victor.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    "Apple needs to keep the Mac mini designed as the working person's Mac"

I think that's a compelling statement. There's no reason why it shouldn't have a quad core.

With Skylake, maybe it will come back with significant int' graphics performance gains?

Maybe it will again become a compelling machine. I wonder, with Skylake, will a 'Mini' be able to run a 4k display at a respectable '60' refresh?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I like how chatty and informal these podcasts are, but this one took things to a new level.

Is that a good thing, or too much of a good thing?

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Many thanks to those at Apple who keep coming up with these amazing improvements to iPhones. The rush to buy this new iPhone 6s means that, on my mere writer's budget, I'll be able to buy an iPhone 6 a bit sooner. That said, I'm so delighted by my second-hand iPhone 5 inside its sturdy Otter case, that I have trouble imagining myself replacing it.

Two thumbs down, though, for castrating the Mac mini and turning it into little more that an overgrown Apple TV. As a writer, editor and small publisher is need a real working computer not a toy. Where I live in the hinderlands (Tim Cook's old college town). fixing a broken Mac can take a week or more, which I can't afford. I need a desktop that's powerful and easily serviced. I can't afford the power of a Mac Pro and nothing about the iMac is easy to repair.

Apple needs to keep the Mac mini designed as the working person's Mac for the same reason Ford and Chevy make sturdy pickup trucks. It's an important market.

I agree with you that the Mac mini is important, and I'd like to see it stay an option for consumers.

What I'm not positive about is this: Ford and Chevy sell trucks as their largest segment - if the mini were a similarly strong seller, Apple would be doing this already. I agree with the analogy, but if the sales don't support it, does it make sense the way you and I want it to?

• Reply 8 of 14
    Farewell, Stephen. We hardly knew ye.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    "Apple needs to keep the Mac mini designed as the working person's Mac"

I think that's a compelling statement. There's no reason why it shouldn't have a quad core.

With Skylake, maybe it will come back with significant int' graphics performance gains?

Maybe it will again become a compelling machine. I wonder, with Skylake, will a 'Mini' be able to run a 4k display at a respectable '60' refresh?

Lemon Bon Bon.

The current Haswell CPU 4th generation i3-i7 with integrated HD 4600 GPU can do this by way of Displayport 1.2 output!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    vmarks wrote: »

Is that a good thing, or too much of a good thing?

It is good, although it needs some work. Some of the longer pauses and silences kind of broke the flow of the podcast at times. But it was fun overall.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hoobitronhoobitron Posts: 28member
    I have to say I have really enjoyed this new Apple insider podcast. But I also have to say this most recent episode was really lacking compared to previous ones. In particular the blatant product placement for the mattress although I am sure it is necessary to support Apple insider was a real annoyance. How long can you talk about mattresses? It just did not feel genuine. Just say we're sponsored by xxx instead of trying to weave it into staged, forced, unnatural conversation. It feels too commercial and what I've liked about this podcast is how non-commercial it is. I love the guys on this podcast as commentators, but not mattress salesmen. Consider how NPR handles acknowledging sponsorship. What happened to Steven Robles as a host? He kept the podcast focused and flowing.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Farewell, Stephen. We hardly knew ye.
    Where'd he go?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoobitron View Post

I have to say I have really enjoyed this new Apple insider podcast. But I also have to say this most recent episode was really lacking compared to previous ones. In particular the blatant product placement for the mattress although I am sure it is necessary to support Apple insider was a real annoyance. How long can you talk about mattresses? It just did not feel genuine. Just say we're sponsored by xxx instead of trying to weave it into staged, forced, unnatural conversation. It feels too commercial and what I've liked about this podcast is how non-commercial it is. I love the guys on this podcast as commentators, but not mattress salesmen. Consider how NPR handles acknowledging sponsorship. What happened to Steven Robles as a host? He kept the podcast focused and flowing.

The sponsors really do want an integrated, weaved in, sponsorship conversation. A short, simple advert read-through isn't acceptable.

Quality will be up - thanks for bearing with us.

• Reply 14 of 14
    vmarks wrote: »

The sponsors really do want an integrated, weaved in, sponsorship conversation. A short, simple advert read-through isn't acceptable.

Quality will be up - thanks for bearing with us.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've heard these "conversations" on the radio as well. The trick I think is making them fit the personality of the show, and the feel and dynamic of the hosts so that even though it isn't "spontaneous" it is at least entertaining to the listener - even if it's blatant acknowledgment that "we have to talk about mattresses now". You guys are snarky and critical. Somehow, so should be your adverts. Let the humor come through. Making them an entertaining part of the show rather than two minutes of "wtf is this". I'm sure it's tough to do, a lot easier said than done and who the hell am I? I'll stick with you guys. It was your first go, I know. Again, thanks for acknowledging.