Apple lowers price of 5K iMac, adds new $1,999 configuration

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    rickysrickys Posts: 3member
    iMac price increase in Australia is not due to strong US dollar as the 15" macbook pro is the same price as it was 2 days ago but has higher secs.
    Apple just decided to make the Retina iMac more expensive in Australia.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed. All one can say is: these "updates" are as relevant as the last speed bump for the cMP before nMPs were released.

"Underwhelming" would be the understatement of the year, not to mention more restricted choices since the 780M is not even availlable for the iMac anymore.

P.S.: What about the RIDICULOUS price increases for the now-obsolete Mac Pro in Europe? Jacked-up by up to 600 EUR!!! Amazing, Mr Cook.

Did Apple make a big deal about the changes to the iMac and MBP? I don't see anything on their front page. The only thing that says anything is new is on the Store page. Apple didn't consider these technical updates a big deal, the press did. Apple is merely bringing newer components to two of their great product lines to keep them as current as possible.

As for your complaint about your price increase, don't blame Mr. Cook or Apple, blame your own country, the EU and every other country who's currency is losing value compared to the US dollar. Apple is in the business of producing great products but also making money. Apple products cost the same in the US as in other parts of the world when adjusted for currency value and all the extra import taxes countries put on these products. 

• Reply 43 of 51
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

In today's day-and-age, keeping all your data on your host machine is just asking for trouble.  It doesn't matter if you're "pro" or not.

Pro's and folks that really depend on their machines/data will keep data off their machines, or synced.  I keep all my documents on Dropbox, and major files are backed-up on time-machine, and also stored on a NAS server.  Done.

A couple months ago, my 2009 iMac mysteriously crashed.  I honestly thought it finally took the dump.  I depend on that machine at home for all my away-from-office-workstation duties.  I simply re-installed OSX machine came right up.   Downloaded needed apps via the App Store, or NAS and I was up and running in an hour.  

If you're keeping your data on your primary machine with no plan B to re-install data, you're the problem.  It's just inexcusable in today's day and age - especially on Apple machines - with so many data-archiving options available to lose your data when your machine takes a dump.

Totally agree and I no longer have to worry about job-related files. When I finally replace my 2009 iMac, I'm getting an iMac5K with a 512GB SSD then moving most of my home directory onto a TB2-connected RAID with a USB-3 backup RAID (less expensive, can make it larger). This means all my important files (music, photos, TV/movies, and videos) will be accessible no matter what my front-end computer is. The most trouble I've ever had with a Mac is the hard drive (hate Seagate) and removing that from inside my iMac means I won't have to deal with that issue. Moving the hard drives into an appropriately configured external enclosure means I can control the heat better, monitor the status of the drives, and rebuild my RAID if it ever looks like I'm having problems. I won't have all my data on a single drive inside the computer. Because I don't deal with "real" work, I don't need incremental copies so I always sync my drive every morning and sometimes even sync the backup drive for a secondary copy. You don't have to be a professional to do these things, just someone who has a ton of photos and digitized movies from the last 60+ years  that you don't want to lose.

• Reply 44 of 51
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

@Inkling, why is it that you are always whining about Apple products? The only posts I see of yours are ones where you are dissing Apple.

There is a reason why there is a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. If it is really that important to you, you'd opt for it, irrespective of whether you can get your work done on a MacMini. 

But I guess, if you think the MacMini is a rip-off now, then you must hate that the new Mac Pro is so expandable but at a cost.

Worst case scenario, you could opt for Windows. All Adobe apps have Windows versions and I'm sure your CC account allows for you to install on Windows.

You referring to other Mac consumers disparagingly isn't helping your cause.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Totally agree and I no longer have to worry about job-related files. When I finally replace my 2009 iMac, I'm getting an iMac5K with a 512GB SSD then moving most of my home directory onto a TB2-connected RAID with a USB-3 backup RAID (less expensive, can make it larger). This means all my important files (music, photos, TV/movies, and videos) will be accessible no matter what my front-end computer is. The most trouble I've ever had with a Mac is the hard drive (hate Seagate) and removing that from inside my iMac means I won't have to deal with that issue. Moving the hard drives into an appropriately configured external enclosure means I can control the heat better, monitor the status of the drives, and rebuild my RAID if it ever looks like I'm having problems. I won't have all my data on a single drive inside the computer. Because I don't deal with "real" work, I don't need incremental copies so I always sync my drive every morning and sometimes even sync the backup drive for a secondary copy. You don't have to be a professional to do these things, just someone who has a ton of photos and digitized movies from the last 60+ years  that you don't want to lose.

That does sound like a good plan.

I've personally always struggled with going the external RAID option. Never really understood the RAID thing and never preferred my hard drive with all my files being left so vulnerable to theft. (Must go back to my time in a cubicle, when office supplies (even chairs) suddenly became community property.) And yes, I do understand an iMac is just as vulnerable to theft. I'm irrational, okay?

Truth be told, I like having the hard drive be a little difficult to access, just not as difficult as the current iMac makes it. I've replaced my MacBook Pro hard drive myself (the older model that's not soldered in.) Screws are fine, glue is a problem.

Time Machine and SuperDuper work well for me with backup. I honestly didn't know you could move "most" of your home directory to a different drive. Managing email between two machines for me is a minor hassle (one of my accounts is still POP) which is why I guess I've found it more challenging to navigate dual machines daily. The day Apple restores the Duo concept and allows me to effortlessly walk around with one "card" that slides into an iMac at both home and work, and also fits into my laptop on the road, I will have found Mac Perfection.

• Reply 46 of 51

I really wish Apple hadn't removed the i7 processor upgrade option from the non retina 27" iMac. I was very close to upgrading my 2009 iMac to one of these.

• Reply 47 of 51
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

As for your complaint about your price increase, don't blame Mr. Cook or Apple, blame your own country, the EU and every other country who's currency is losing value compared to the US dollar. Apple is in the business of producing great products but also making money. Apple products cost the same in the US as in other parts of the world when adjusted for currency value and all the extra import taxes countries put on these products. 

Absolute BS, since Apple has NEVER adjusted its non-US prices down when the SAME currency fluctuations happened in the opposite direction. Besides, in most places taxes are not higher than 10% on top of the US prices, and apply across the board anyway regardless of currency variation - this argument is a no-go.

So no, there is no justification particularly in an increasingly elastic market like that of personal computers.

• Reply 48 of 51
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Besides, in most places taxes are not higher than 10% on top of the US prices, and apply across the board anyway regardless of currency variation - this argument is a no-go.

Wait, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax#Tax_rates
  • Reply 49 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wait, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax#Tax_rates

Shhh.... attempting to throw well-though, planned logic at Brlawyer is a losing proposition.  He'll just spin something else.

• Reply 50 of 51
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Shhh.... attempting to throw well-though, planned logic at Brlawyer is a losing proposition.  He'll just spin something else.

How quickly I forget. This site seems to be lacking some proper moderation. Must be the reason why so many left. A pity.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    wish the ram/hd was more easily upgradable.

can i be used as an external monitor for a MBP?