Apple re-ups digital maps pact with TomTom

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adamJ86 View Post

Which interstate from 2009 isn't in Apple Maps yet?

Replied, via PM.

• Reply 42 of 55
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

-Apple Maps has no campus coverage Guess it's just your campus.

Let's take a look at Tim Cook and Eddie Cue's alma mater shall we?

Google:

Note campus roads, parking, buildings and individual schools noted

Apple (all the detail you get):

None of this and huge errors. Law school is on the corner, south of Towerview road, and the campus goes up to Erwin, as Google has correct.

Embarrassing.

Edit: And this is why Apple should have bought Navteq at any cost. Here Maps:

• Reply 43 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    konqerror wrote: »
    I don't know why Apple didn't originally release their maps program in beta, first. Oh well.
    Commenters on this forum are just like Apple engineers. Works for me here. Must work for everybody else in the world.

no, we just get tired of seeing amateur trolls proclaiming something a failure because it supposedly doesnt work for them, therefore it must not work for anyone.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    shardsofme wrote: »
    Apple Maps sucks. If I had ever used it I could be more specific.

what a completely useless post. please, avoid future posts.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no, we just get tired of seeing amateur trolls proclaiming something a failure because it supposedly doesnt work for them, therefore it must not work for anyone.

Good job putting other people's words in my name.

Proof by contradiction. If a plane crashes, it's unsafe. If a plane hasn't crashed yet, it doesn't mean its unsafe. If you show a single case where something is broken, then it's necessarily broken.

• Reply 46 of 55
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    konqerror wrote: »
    Show me Apple Maps lane guidance. Point made.
    Maybe you should try Google Maps sometime and realize how much better it is.

Oh yes google maps! Hasn't that been out for like 20 years?? It better be better than ? maps!
  • Reply 47 of 55
    V
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what a completely useless post. please, avoid future posts.
    Irony? I'm sorry, we don't have that here. Alternatively: go **** yourself.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    mkralmkral Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tralalalalalala View Post

I really wish you could change the default map, especially since Apple maps isn't nearly as good as Google maps.

I convinced my father who runs a very small business to use an iPad mini as his main driver for dealing with customers. It works amazingly well, and he has totally bought into the apple ecosystem.

Except, when he travels to new customers, Apple maps still sends him the wrong way about 5-10% of the time, so I worked hard to figure out how to open google map coordinates from his calendar/contacts with the google maps custom url scheme.

If apple forces a default program, it should work 100% of the time, especially something as mission critical as directions for business applications.

I'm just posting this in case you didn't know, but in Apple Maps, once it brings up your directions, you have the option to choose Drive, Walk or Apps" & from there you can select Google Maps or whatever other app you want. It's an extra step, but it might be easier than figuring out how to code addresses so they'll open in Google. I use it all the time so that I can click on addresses in web pages, emails, texts, etc without having to copy & paste the addy itself.

• Reply 49 of 55
    mkralmkral Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Crazy you have described quite a few problems I have with Google Maps. Specifically, Google Maps telling me to exit the highway after I already passed the exit. It also auto corrects routes quite a bit slower than Apple.

Some of the other things you mention are fair points, especially the point of interest and lane navigation needed improvements. Apple, however, has come a long way with POI  improvements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Google:

None of this and huge errors. Law school is on the corner, south of Towerview road, and the campus goes up to Erwin, as Google has correct.

Embarrassing.

Great example. I agree that Nokia Here would be a great use of Apple's war chest. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that large of a purchase (for Apple) and the improvements to their maps would be immense. 

• Reply 50 of 55
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mkral wrote: »
    I'm just posting this in case you didn't know, but in Apple Maps, once it brings up your directions, you have the option to choose Drive, Walk or Apps" & from there you can select Google Maps or whatever other app you want. It's an extra step, but it might be easier than figuring out how to code addresses so they'll open in Google. I use it all the time so that I can click on addresses in web pages, emails, texts, etc without having to copy & paste the addy itself.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Wow, I use maps everyday and never notice that. SMH. But then I always hit the little car a go strait to guided directions.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Let me guess, you think Siri still sucks too?

Yes, Siri does suck. It is constantly mispronouncing street names here in Santa Barbara, giving Spanish names an English pronunciation. I can't train it to pronounce my kids' names correctly, and it won't type my kids' name correctly, with no way to train it. Yes, Siri sucks! (Remember when Scott Forstall said in front of everyone that Siri learns along the way? How? B.S.

Oh! I forget where it came up, just now, but my wife uses Japanese on her iPhone. It is constantly saying Goleta, California is Schooner, apparently because Goleta mean Galleon and I guess a galleon is a schooner; so, of course! Goleta is now Schooner. Ridiculous!

• Reply 52 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    justbobf wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Let me guess, you think Siri still sucks too?</span>

Yes, Siri does suck. It is constantly mispronouncing street names here in Santa Barbara, giving Spanish names an English pronunciation. I can't train it to pronounce my kids' names correctly, and it won't type my kids' name correctly, with no way to train it. Yes, Siri sucks! (Remember when Steve Forsythe said in front of everyone that Siri learns along the way? How? B.S.

Oh! I forget where it came up, just now, but my wife uses Japanese on her iPhone. It is constantly saying Goleta, California is Schooner, apparently because Goleta mean Galleon and I guess a galleon is a schooner; so, of course! Goleta is now Schooner. Ridiculous!

Install the 'Enhanced Quality' Siri voice, see if that makes a difference.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Google:

Embarrassing.

So, basically Google and Apple maps suck.

• Reply 54 of 55

Let's be honest: Apple Maps sucks big time in comparison to Google Maps or Waze. I own iPhones and Macbooks, but whenever I hit the roads here in Brazil, I can't rely on Apple Maps. No turn-by-turn navigation, no voice directions. Plus, I don't understand how Apple Maps works: everytime I am on a road, the arrow (my car) leaves the display area and I have to look for where I am. Can you believe that? Google Maps and Waze just centers my car in the middle of the display and I just have to follow guidance commands. Amazing that such a top company like Apple offers such a mediocre service so essential. 

• Reply 55 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    So, basically Google and Apple maps suck.

Depends on who you ask. ;)